Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2016, 12:45 PM

Default 936 Blackfoot 2016 hunt *Update*

So thought I'd start a thread about hunting the Blackfoot in 2016. A place to show successful hunts, where you've been and what you are seeing. I was drawn for antlerless moose and have been scouting around this fall but haven't had any sightings of moose yet.

So Ill start with what I am seeing and where. I did a 25 km loop out of the Waskehegan and saw 4 Mule deer and 1 spiker white tail in field 6D. Also 12 grouse along the trails.

After reading alot of the old threads about hunting here I see some guys saying to sit and wait and not bother covering lots of ground. So if you wanna share some tips and advice on how to hunt this area, I am all ears.

Oh and I have talked to the onsite CO and he has given me some ideas on how to proceed with my hunt, and he also mentioned they have a 30% success rate. Hope I make the 30 %.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:07 PM

For moose I would suggest that you target the Islet Lake staging area and hunt out of there. I used to work in the Blackfoot and it was where I saw the most consistent moose.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:49 PM

walk game trails, you'll see more game, espcially moose.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:58 PM

Default Blackfoot

There is some swamp land up by 6a that usuallly holds moose
Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
walk game trails, you'll see more game, espcially moose.

Ya that is my next step. Covered alot of ground on the marked trails. Old threads also said that so my next trip will be though the bush from trail to trail.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Find some area with good sign off the trail. Walk in quietly before legal time. Sit at least til a couple of hours then stillhunt half a km or so to anothet spot and sit. This is how I hunt deer in there and I usually see moose most days. I usually only hint half days due to remembering getting mose and elk out of there when I got one late in the day.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:58 PM
Banned

OP, I wish you luck on your Moose. I have no advise as to where you might find your moose, but I do hope you have a plan on getting it back to your staging area if you are successful. The park ranger might be able to help you out with some suggestions on locals with a horse team and sled. A good sized buck can be one hell of a haul even over a few hundred yards, but a moose requires extreme effort or planning. Even taking it out in qtrs can take a whole day or more.
Anyways, good luck on your hunt. Hope to see some pics. 936 is a true gem of a hunting spot. I usually do a grouse/waterfowl hunt in the last week of Oct. on my bike for my B-day, but don't think it will happen this year, what with this snow.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:35 AM

Islet Lake staging area, highline trail. Or work your way towards central staging area. We have taken 4 or 5 bulls from that area in the last 8 years
Old 10-15-2016, 10:04 AM

Lots of great bull elk in 936 right now. Lots of moose too. Early last week saw 3 moose just in a half hour not even looking for them. Grouse numbers are style but there is alot of coyotes this year I'm seeing.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Islet Lake staging area, highline trail. Or work your way towards central staging area. We have taken 4 or 5 bulls from that area in the last 8 years
I walked highline trail at lease 20 times this year. In the early morning or late afternoon. Never run into any deer or elk or moose...
Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 PM

Update. Spent Saturday and Sunday night in the park. Put 6 km through the the bush between highline and middle. Found about 20 piles of moose droppings so they are their sometimes. Sunday, was in the first field out of washkashigan and saw another 2 whitetails. And actually ran into the FandW on the road at islet. Had a good talk with her and had a whole bunch of questions answered, it was a good experience. Got next week off to hunt so hopefully I'll connect. Anyone heard of or had success in bow season.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 PM

Hope you have good friends if you drop one!!
Hope I don't get a call!!!
Old 11-01-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dend View Post
Anyone heard of or had success in bow season.
Was out a few times with the boys, for grouse and Whitetail. Saw a few, didn't connect.

The rancher I spoke with mentioned that the elk were more scattered than in previous years, i.e. not in big groups. Oh, and if anyone finds a lone cow in field 1A (or thereabouts), give me a shout, or let the main office know - he's missing one.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Worked all of the holding fields off central road. Bubkiss!
2 mule bucks, but no season on them.

Anyone have a line on cow elk?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-the-chimp View Post
Worked all of the holding fields off central road. Bubkiss!
2 mule bucks, but no season on them.

Anyone have a line on cow elk?
Can't help ya there but I heard there were about 5 guys sitting one field at first light yesterday....hopefully it quiets down a bit soon.

Schian
Old 11-06-2016, 12:24 PM

How has everyone done?
I tagged out on my antlerless elk on Friday. 5.5 km from the truck. Put on 30 km in total Friday. Good thing I have a good friend who helped get her out. Took 5.5 hours. Did the gutless method and have just over 300lbs of meat at the butcher. 80 yard headshot in the alders. Numbers seam to be down as the CO's have mentioned. Wolves seam to still be pushing. Saw 16 coyotes and one wolf on Nov 01. Good luck to everyone. It muddy and wet out there!
Old 11-06-2016, 12:51 PM

No big game tags but I've been doing well for grouse this year!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Had a great chance but with the knowledge of the pack out I wanted the calf in the pair. Looked and saw no antlers but was in the trees and couldn't get a clean shot. Waited to long and lost my chance. Followed them through the bush where I thought they went and came out on the trail to see the 400 meter sign about 100 yards away. Couldn't have asked for a better chance, hope I can get another one.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:48 AM

Default chasing whitetais?

I doubt anyone here is willing to help me out but anyone know where to go for whitetail in here? Only ever seen moose, wolfs/coyotes and game birds.... but everyone here is saying they are seeing deer?!?

anyone willing to point me in the right direction? Just looking for some meat since my season so far has sucked.....
Old 11-08-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieB View Post
I doubt anyone here is willing to help me out but anyone know where to go for whitetail in here? Only ever seen moose, wolfs/coyotes and game birds.... but everyone here is saying they are seeing deer?!?

anyone willing to point me in the right direction? Just looking for some meat since my season so far has sucked.....
Hey ill help you, dont know how much it will be for how far out they are but I did see 3 today and could have shot each one... now for the location. They were in field 3a north of the compressor that is in the middle of the road. And I did see 2 in field 7a kind of north and west of the center point last week. And today found a buck skull in the bush north off whitetail trail from blackfoot. Hope this helps. Walked 19.5 km today and saw those whitetails, and 3 elk. One was hurt really bad but didnt look like a bad shot. NO MOOSE going to try a different spot tomorow.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dend View Post
Hey ill help you, dont know how much it will be for how far out they are but I did see 3 today and could have shot each one... now for the location. They were in field 3a north of the compressor that is in the middle of the road. And I did see 2 in field 7a kind of north and west of the center point last week. And today found a buck skull in the bush north off whitetail trail from blackfoot. Hope this helps. Walked 19.5 km today and saw those whitetails, and 3 elk. One was hurt really bad but didnt look like a bad shot. NO MOOSE going to try a different spot tomorow.
3 a you say? thanks for that. Filled my cow elk tag on friday.
you after cow or bull moose? either way, 19km is too much walking in one day. You're traveling too much. I've found success with traveling no more than about 7km during daylight, unless you're on a bike.

2 weeks ago i found two separate sets of tracks of cow moose.
One inside the west loop of beaver, the other on the east side of wapiti, north of the beaver loop.

what is the road east out of central like right now? 2 weeks ago NUL west was impassible on bike.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:48 PM

Default Only moose no deer :/

Well went out again today and saw a calf moose standing off the central road at about 715 am on my drive in. Too bad i was drawn for 248 with primitive weapon

me and my girlfriend did the central alleyway trail today and went down N.U.L north and West...Roads were super muddy...Did some rattling, saw No deer... Dut I did see 2 bunnies and 4-5 grouse so that was nice.
May go out with my father again tomorrow if we don't go chase swamp donkeys before i work in the evening

looks like i'm getting tag soup again this year....YUM
Old 11-10-2016, 07:46 PM

I'm heading their tomorrow and hope to find some deer. I always see bull moose in their. I'm pretty sure I could find a cow for you. I'm heading in off of rr204 just before first light.

I will keep you posted on what I see

Gordon
Old 11-11-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
I'm heading their tomorrow and hope to find some deer. I always see bull moose in their. I'm pretty sure I could find a cow for you. I'm heading in off of rr204 just before first light.

Gordon
Please do. I've never used that entrance before. How much bushwhacking is required to get in there? I've used rr203 before, and its just fine - excepting that i wouldnt want to haul a moose through there if it's wet like this year.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post

Gordon
Spent a couple days in side the 204 entrance this week. Had a whitetail at 80 yards could have shot but still looking for moose. Did find a nice pair a shed moose antlers. Mabe you'll see some moose while Hunting whitetail, seems to be the way of blackfoot.

Just sitting north or central now, only heard one shot this morning from North of me.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:45 PM

Default again no whitetails

Went out with my dad today for a quick morning hunt, got stopped by the C.O. on they way in to the central staging area, love seeing those guys out! Rather see them then my target animal!

did a walk around field 3A saw a calf moose near the oil pump by the N.U.L road heading north, and saw a mule deer spiker at 270 yards.... still no whitetails.....

Those of you seeing whitetails in here should inform the C.O where you're spotting them im sure he would love to know more about em cause he said he hardly sees them in there himself...
Old 11-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Anyone looking for a cow moose? Found one yesterday that should be an easy get.....
Old 11-15-2016, 08:47 AM

How about cow elk lol
Old 11-26-2016, 12:14 PM

Default No Moose

So after a hard year and some learning, I wasn't able to connect with a moose. But I did put alot of time in and learned alot about 936. I was able to see a good number of white tails and was able to connect with this little buck.

So now for next year and to decide if and elk tag might be a better draw to make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer-min.jpg (62.3 KB, 469 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 01:30 PM

Hey, good stuff, Dend!