Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
Ok thanks for the replies, to the OP sorry i have derailed the thread, but it was a start to my questions. I dont like a bunch of info on 10 different threads so guessing others dont.

. I guess it must just be folklore on the big bad wolves, but i would rather know today...

Calibre and bullet & grain selection
So i have decided i will try the 220 Swift as i will in hopes save the hide. I could use a 22-250 but about the same as a swift. 204 ruger seems underpowered. 3006 too much.

Unless someone has suggestions these are some bullets i know i have and can reload.

204 32 gr VMax.

220 Swift - Vmax? Or pSP ? I have various grains. I have ttsx as well but would prefer to keep them for deer in the 22-250 for my daughter.

3006 - 110gr psp, 165 psp ...

Plan to save the skull

They aren't difficult to tip over. Any of the above plus 100 others will work just fine.

Your biggest challenge will be seeing one. Try going out into the woods without a gun. That's when you'll see the most game, biggest racks, tame geese and pheasant, etc. Works like a charm for me.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks for the replies, to the OP sorry i have derailed the thread, but it was a start to my questions. I dont like a bunch of info on 10 different threads so guessing others dont.

. I guess it must just be folklore on the big bad wolves, but i would rather know today...

So i have decided i will try the 220 Swift as i will in hopes save the hide. I could use a 22-250 but about the same as a swift. 204 ruger seems underpowered. 3006 too much.

Unless someone has suggestions these are some bullets i know i have and can reload.

204 32 gr VMax.

220 Swift - Vmax? Or pSP ? I have various grains. I have ttsx as well but would prefer to keep them for deer in the 22-250 for my daughter.

Plan to save the skull
I also would have thought .204R is on the small side,but a few weeks ago was watching Wild TV and the host was wolf hunting over bait and dropped a wolf in his tracks with .204 soooooo....I spose a V-max to the chest is pretty devastating,I wouldn’t want get hit with it myself.
That said,I was a bit surprised in his choice of rifles presuming he probably has many others to choose from,and both surprised and impressed with how effective the lil .20 cal pill was at anchoring a relatively large animal.
But the real question is “Is .223 big enough gun for deer?” Lol 😂
But seriously.....I own .204,.223,and .243,and .30-06 to name a few,if I was targeting wolves I’d be lugging the .243 but that’s just me?

From what I’ve seen,those in the know....ie;outfitters that offer wolf hunts and others that take wolves consistently suggest “use your favourite deer rifle”
That said....I don’t think you’d be overgunned with .30-06,and it may well even be more fur friendly with a mono metal or partition then a varmint caliber with a more frangible bullet?
I’d want to anchor him first shot and not worry too much about holes in pelt,that’s what needles and thread are for.😜
Also,I’ve probably shot somewhere around 50 deer with .30-06 alone....deer are comparable in body size to a wolf,albeit deer have much tougher hide,but I can’t think of many that had enormous exit wounds,maybe the odd few where I hit shoulder on the way out or exit far side through the guts and blew a big hole,but generally it’s anywhere from slightly larger then caliber size to an inch or two exit wound.

Last edited by West O'5; 12-22-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Banned

I’ve dropped 3 with a 223 and varmint grenades
None of them were dead when I walked up to them
They can be tough critters
Old 12-22-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I’ve dropped 3 with a 223 and varmint grenades
None of them were dead when I walked up to them
They can be tough critters
Deer caliber rifles, they can weigh about as much.

Gtizz
Old 12-22-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:

204 32 gr VMax.

Plan to save the skull

I shot this guy a few days ago, with a .17hmr,
seems a few trappers choice (not my rec for hunts).

Frontal chest & 20 sec to no movement.

To the OP, I have had luck watching for tracks
after an overnite snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181214_125304.jpg (43.0 KB, 212 views)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:35 AM

Default wolf

Guys interesting question, if 223 is not approved caliber for big game, wolf covered in big game regulations, then is caliber not approved for wolf hunting??
Old 12-23-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys interesting question, if 223 is not approved caliber for big game, wolf covered in big game regulations, then is caliber not approved for wolf hunting??
Why do people insist on using minimal calibers for an animal that can weigh well over 100 Lb. and has millions of years of survival dedication bred into it.

Grizz
Old 12-23-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Why do people insist on using minimal calibers for an animal that can weigh well over 100 Lb. and has millions of years of survival dedication bred into it.

Grizz
If you like bull dozing one over with a .338 then blast away. Some folks including myself enjoy the challenge of a lighter weapon, usually a bow for me. If I use a gun, I lean towards the lighter calibers just for the challenge. I totally agree that I will have to be much more selective in the shots I take but that's OK by me. I am hunting wolves with a .243 while leaving 6 heavier calibers in the safe. For me, and some others, it's not all about just getting the animal dead or the fish in the net.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekender7 View Post
If you like bull dozing one over with a .338 then blast away. Some folks including myself enjoy the challenge of a lighter weapon, usually a bow for me. If I use a gun, I lean towards the lighter calibers just for the challenge. I totally agree that I will have to be much more selective in the shots I take but that's OK by me. I am hunting wolves with a .243 while leaving 6 heavier calibers in the safe. For me, and some others, it's not all about just getting the animal dead or the fish in the net.
Sorry, it's all about a clean kill and not losing the animal, in my world. All of mine have fallen to a 7 mm Rem. or .270 WSM, hardly extreme calibers.

Grizz
Old 12-23-2018, 06:51 PM
AO Sponsor

My neighbour shot this one last winter just a around the corner from my place just outside Water Valley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1545616036744.jpg (13.1 KB, 209 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-23-2018, 06:52 PM

What about a 6.5 creedmoor?
Old 12-24-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Sorry, it's all about a clean kill and not losing the animal, in my world. All of mine have fallen to a 7 mm Rem. or .270 WSM, hardly extreme calibers.

Grizz
Grizz ,I am totally with you on this. I have seen far too many borderline kills and even several hit but not stopped shots to even think of using anything small ,especially because it is a challenge. Not to be a bleeding heart here but ask yourself this question .Is it a challenge for a coyote/wolf to carry a 229 swift in the guts till it dies. That happened to me ,quartering towards me ,must of wiggled ,bullet went n behind the diaphragm and into guts. This wolf was leaving intestines on the branches. Tracked him 3 miles till darkness and falling snow stopped me. Never used a small cal.on a wolf ever after that. .243 or bigger is the way I think especially on wolves .They are tough
Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Hunting ISN’T fishing. Your killing something when you pull the trigger and have the obligation to make it as quick and painless as possible. If you want to land a 6lb trout on a 2lb tippet or a 15lb pike on 6lb test and an ultralight rod that’s a challenge. Worst case scenario the fish breaks off and you have to hook another. Hunting is much more serious then that. Archery is a poor example. Archery gear will easily take any animal on this planet if set up correctly. To hunt wolves with a .243 is more then sufficient as well. For guys to get off on using a less then optimal cartridge/caliber with no other limitations but simply because they think it adds a (unnecessary) challenge is wrong.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
How is a .243 more of a challenge than using a 338 Win? The .243 is flatter shooting and both have enough energy. Either is fine.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 AM

Default Wolf hunting

Quote:

Grizz
X2!
Old 12-24-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Animal
I have had zero exposure to wolves and you hear lots but have shot black bears with a bow. I only find it "scary" when loading a dead bear in the night in the forest by yourself. Lol. Deer dont scare me either.

In sask we have to wear big game colors - red orange white - from waist up. Red or orange hat. Not saying that people dont scare me though.
Wolves will not attack you if that is what you are asking. I remember going after a pack of seven that had dragged a deer they had killed into some thick timber.... with a .22LR (its all I have on my trapping sled). So seven wolves with a kill in thick timber against one undergunned human... I never got a shot. They lurked around a bit and then left.

Every wolf I've shot was killed with a .270 win, it doesn't blow them apart and it kills them quickly. These animals sometimes weigh as much as a deer and are much more solidly built, a good non-magnum deer round would be preferable to a varmint round IMO.

As for hunting them, I don't have the patience to bait them. Frozen creeks and rivers become travel routes for them once the snow gets deep so I usually sneak along these. Another good method I've used is to hunt around hunting camps after they pull out, the wolves will usually be sniffing around within a couple days.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-24-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:12 AM

Ok that makes sense thanks Bushleague.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
They aren't difficult to tip over. Any of the above plus 100 others will work just fine.

Your biggest challenge will be seeing one. Try going out into the woods without a gun. That's when you'll see the most game, biggest racks, tame geese and pheasant, etc. Works like a charm for me.
I do not recommend varmint bullets on wolves, rapid expansion big game bullets like the nosler ballistic tip, Hornady sst, or any cup and core are ideal. I helped but down a wolf shot with a varmint bullet once, v-max hit a rib and blew up before reaching the vital cavity, I get saving the hide but you also owe it to the animal to ensure a clean kill. Wolves aren’t varmints, if you treat them like small thin skinned big game (like antelope and some deer) you can’t go wrong.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:26 AM

Few years back couple trappers were rat trapping on lake. Two wolves came out back of one of the trappers. large lead wolf came out infront and paralled him. He had left 22 on rat house few hundred yards back. The lead wolf charged at him, he ran like hell back to his gun, shot wolf at about 20 feet. "Wolves do not attack people in North America"
Old 12-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Creedmoor would be ideal
Old 12-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
I do not recommend varmint bullets on wolves, rapid expansion big game bullets like the nosler ballistic tip, Hornady sst, or any cup and core are ideal. I helped but down a wolf shot with a varmint bullet once, v-max hit a rib and blew up before reaching the vital cavity, I get saving the hide but you also owe it to the animal to ensure a clean kill. Wolves aren’t varmints, if you treat them like small thin skinned big game (like antelope and some deer) you can’t go wrong.
I agree
I didn’t exactly plan on running into wolves on the days I got mine.
New predator rig is a creedmoor
Old 12-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Grizz

x3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 12-26-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Wolves will not attack you if that is what you are asking. I remember going after a pack of seven that had dragged a deer they had killed into some thick timber.... with a .22LR (its all I have on my trapping sled). So seven wolves with a kill in thick timber against one undergunned human... I never got a shot. They lurked around a bit and then left.

Every wolf I've shot was killed with a .270 win, it doesn't blow them apart and it kills them quickly. These animals sometimes weigh as much as a deer and are much more solidly built, a good non-magnum deer round would be preferable to a varmint round IMO.

As for hunting them, I don't have the patience to bait them. Frozen creeks and rivers become travel routes for them once the snow gets deep so I usually sneak along these. Another good method I've used is to hunt around hunting camps after they pull out, the wolves will usually be sniffing around within a couple days.

Agree.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 12-26-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I thought I read somewhere/sometime that there hasn’t been a confirmed human death in North America from wolves since the 1800s?
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/.../09/manhunters
Old 12-26-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Few years back couple trappers were rat trapping on lake. Two wolves came out back of one of the trappers. large lead wolf came out infront and paralled him. He had left 22 on rat house few hundred yards back. The lead wolf charged at him, he ran like hell back to his gun, shot wolf at about 20 feet. "Wolves do not attack people in North America"
Out ran the wolf for a few hundred yards, maybe wasn't attacking.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Banned

We were able to get 3 this past week I used my 7mm08 140 ttsx tiny little holes hard to track very little snow in most areas we hunt them
Old 12-26-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Out ran the wolf for a few hundred yards, maybe wasn't attacking.

Or the wolf was running on two legs. Erect.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
😂

Too trendy lol, 6.5 Grendel for the win.😉

Wolves on my bucket list, someday when time allows I’ll be calling for them serious, and with the 6.5 Grendel’s. Nice to see lots having success nowadays! Time likely hasn’t been better.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
😂

Too trendy lol, 6.5 Grendel for the win.😉

Wolves on my bucket list, someday when time allows I’ll be calling for them serious, and with the 6.5 Grendel’s. Nice to see lots having success nowadays! Time likely hasn’t been better.
A Grendel with those 123gr sst pills would probably be an amazing wolf combo. One more gun to add to the wish list..
Old 12-27-2018, 02:33 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...tack-1.3740927