Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 03:48 PM

Exclamation Going Viral

Just a reminder to all of us and our kids that pictures once on the web can and will go anywhere.
This is a lesson being taught by a teacher in Edinburgh, United Kingdom. She has asked that people make this image go viral. So her students have a better understanding of what can happen to the pictures they have.

Vicky Walker

January 13/14
I am teaching E-safety to my pupils at the moment and wanted to try a little experiment. Please share this photo and see how far it gets, I want to show my students how easily photos etc can go viral, even when you may not want them to. Share it and see how far it goes!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:57 PM

There is a difference between a picture going viral, and simply asking to share the picture. Picture worth being called viral will run away from you. 99.99% of the pictures on the web aren't - you won't even get 6 degrees of separation. I think the better lesson would be to grow a thicker skin from young years and not to worry about what happens to your picture if it makes all the way to Australia 6 months from now. Things on web have a very short life span, and only will continue rotation if you keep bringing it up.

On the other hand, I am no teacher, no father, and not even Canadian (by birth). What do i know...
Old 01-25-2014, 04:02 PM

Aren't there a thousand good examples already? And examples where help or exposure wasn't solicited?
Old 01-25-2014, 04:24 PM

There are tons, hundreds, thousands examples of videos, images, articles that are available that show how a piece of media can propagate across the globe. I guess they wanted to put the familiar face on the experiment. I hope though they don't spend too much time on that as I really don't see it taking off...
Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM

Talking

I was viral....till I went to the Doctor.

All good now
Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 PM

The teacher should have included an email address so anyone that sees the pic can respond and let her students know. Sadly, the teacher and her class will never know it has been posted here on AO.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Banned

If she wanted it to go viral she should have done it in the nude.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM

This is kind of crap that the tax money being spent on right now. 15 years ago people complained that school only taught them "useless" academic cr@p, and nobody explained how to do taxes or balance the check book.
Now the kids will be "cell phone" savvy and "super-safe" online instead of "useless academic" cr@p, let alone teaching them how to balance the checkbook. Teachers arent teachers anymore, they are "hold your hand make you feel better" counselors (without "holding your hand" part - god forbid someone screams "Sexual harassment").

Sorry for the minor went, it's kind of sore spot for me.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The teacher should have included an email address so anyone that sees the pic can respond and let her students know. Sadly, the teacher and her class will never know it has been posted here on AO.
I sent her a message that it is on AO and provided her with a link so if she wants she can come here and see what is happening.

As of right now that photo has been Shared on facebook 179,883 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Now the kids will be "cell phone" savvy and "super-safe" online instead of "useless academic" cr@p
More and more kids have cell phones. Just this last week the 6, 8 year olds next door decided to show off their new cell phones.
There is a 5 year old in my sons daycare sporting an i phone.

As parents we need to remind our kids about the things they post, or what their friends may post of them.

There are images out there of my own son, which I have no control over. God only knows how many pedophiles have seen those images which were taken without consent and more than 18 months later we have yet to find the culprit.

We have seen several cases where images that got out cost young people their lives, as they couldnt live with what either they shared as a private image, or someone else took and shared.

Last edited by FishingMOM; 01-25-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:35 PM

I agree that more and more kids have the cell phones. I really don't see how it is teachers' responsibility to teach those kids how to use those phones, and how to use them safely.
""""""""""""
As parents we need to remind our kids about the things they post, or what their friends may post of them.
""""""""""""
As parents you need to teach your kids responsibility and accountability. And bring back punishment. And as a parent you should be in the loop about everything that your kid does online, there are plenty of means for that. As long as you bought him/her the phone and paying the bills you get to decide what's allowed and what's not. Block the MMS messages. If you let your kid sign up to facebook/instagram/snapchat/google+ or anything else make sure you are friended or following him/her. Don't give them carte blanche with the phone and say "one thing - can't take pictures of your boobs and send it to your friends". They won't listen.

And it really shouldn't matter to you that other kids have the phones. You need to decide when and under which conditions your kid gets his phone.
as far as getting hurt... may i ask you how much was your sun hurt when his picture was taken? I mean right now, or when it was taken? Not in remote theoretical future...
And what is "out there"? How do you know about it? Did you search "pictures of 5-6 year old boys in Calgary area" and found your son pics? Sometimes the boogie man is just your imagination.

You can't block everything out, unless you lock your kid in the basement in the plastic bubble.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 AM

Would have spread like fire if she was showing skin,
Kids need to learn once its out there, it really is there for ever.
I Applaud her efforts.

I also think parents that allow the kids to have phones should disable or nail polish over the camera, or have it synced to the icloud account so the parents get a copy of every photo that phone takes.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:38 PM

My 9 year old has fishing rods, a quad, rifles....and no cell phone. It's going to stay that way for a while too. As for things like facebook, he is the only one in the family with an account only because the BMX club he belongs too posts there shedule on it and we do the checking not him. Not an issue in my house.....

LS