Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-28-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Fly tying

This winter I want to learn how to tie my own flys, and am wondering if anyone would like to give me some pointers on what gear to get, as far as vices and tools, stuff like that.

I'm not looking to go broke with it, but want to buy the best product for my money!

Thanks in advance,

slivers
Old 10-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Banned

If someone posts picture of a good start up that would be helpful,, my bench is a disaster,,, however, my input is to buy feathers from church bazaars and look for other similar things from looney stores but not Michaels. I'll put together a little starter pack and give it to you at the meet & greet and I'll try to find a book that I got years ago that helped me produce some nice flies for beginners. Maybe ask someone who is good at tying to give a demo at the meet and greet.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
If someone posts picture of a good start up that would be helpful,, my bench is a disaster,,, however, my input is to buy feathers from church bazaars and look for other similar things from looney stores but not Michaels. I'll put together a little starter pack and give it to you at the meet & greet and I'll try to find a book that I got years ago that helped me produce some nice flies for beginners. Maybe ask someone who is good at tying to give a demo at the meet and greet.
Thats a great idea GM. If anybody would like to volunteer a demo, it would probably not be a problem, would have to check with the manager of the venue.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 PM

pm sent
Old 10-29-2011, 06:21 AM

Youtube and books will also help a lot. Order the fly tying bible.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Since you are in Calgary, visiting the Hook & Hackle Club (its free to visit) is an excellent idea...lots of veteran tyers there that you can talk to and get good advice from, as well as the ability to give it a go yourself.

You can pick up some decent starter kits in local shops for around $100-$150...I believe that the Orvis makes a very decent kit, and the Wapsi deluxe is pretty decent, too. Another option is to wait, give it a try at a club or gathering, and then if you really like it, spend $150-$250 on a good vise, and start building your materials up.

This is not simply an addition to fly-fishing, but a complete hobby in its own right....and there is nothing better than catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 AM

I recommend the book by Charlie Craven - Beginner's guide to fly tying. It is an excellent resource. If you follow the book from start to finish - you will no longer be a beginner. You can get the book significantly cheaper on amazon.ca than at your local fly shop.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Great suggestions above. Most fly shops run beginner fly tying classes over the winter months at reasonable prices. This would be a good place to learn basic skills and best practices. Once you know the basic skills of tying the internet will take you to so many fly recipes, patterns, etc. Phil Rowley has an excellent site with many proven local patterns and he puts emphasis on proper proportioning which IMO is critical if you want to improve your skill level. Have fun. Rick.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 PM

Thanks to all for the great advice in forum, and emails with more detailed advice and offers. This forum truely is a great place, and without it the knowledge I have gained over the last 6 months would still be in the wind. Hope to tie some fun stuff this winter, as I'll be generally broke after January when I take posession of my house
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalangelo View Post
I recommend the book by Charlie Craven - Beginner's guide to fly tying. It is an excellent resource. If you follow the book from start to finish - you will no longer be a beginner. You can get the book significantly cheaper on amazon.ca than at your local fly shop.
I agree, but have a look locally...WSS has it for $40, but if you do not mind waiting for it, you can save $8 and get it for $32 from Amazon.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM

Google "fly anglers online" they have a decent set of tutorials where you start with a woolybugger and work your way up.

I am not sure about the kits, mainly because of the vise, a good vise wil make the process much easier.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 AM

theres a Fly shop in Dewitton if you near... He has alot of fly tackle, equipment in his store. He's patient and likes to teach.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara_13 View Post
theres a Fly shop in Dewitton if you near... He has alot of fly tackle, equipment in his store. He's patient and likes to teach.
thats where I have gotten a lot of advice, and now go to buy ALL my flys, unless they are tied by a buddy, or soon to be myself. Southbow is definitely my choice!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:25 AM

Smile

Here is a link to an article I did on beginner fly tying kit and what a person might need to get started. http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/f...and-materials/

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby. There is no price that you can put on the feeling you will get when you catch that first fish on a fly that you made. I remember my first fish on a fly that I had tied. I was thinking "YES, I created a fly that fooled a fish". Then comes your first original pattern that catches fish. That brings it to even a higher level.

Rob
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Rob, thanks for the link. That site is very informative and on my favorites now Glad we have a good group of people, the amount of PM's and posts here are incredible! Hopefully when I get good at this stuff I can give back
Old 11-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Can anyone recommend a starter kit with tools and vice, that is mid range on the price list (a good balance of quality/money spent.) I've been reading up, and I'm already itching to try it
Old 11-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Keep your eye on kijiji

There is just about everything you need on there right now.

Tying is one of those hobbies where people often gear up but then don't follow through. Think gym memberships.

Lots of good deals out there and lots of gear that hasn't seen light in years/decades.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Can anyone recommend a starter kit with tools and vice, that is mid range on the price list (a good balance of quality/money spent.) I've been reading up, and I'm already itching to try it
Find a shop that you are comfortable dealing with and build a kit, most kits have a lot of materials that you may not use. Decide on what patterns you want to fish and base your material and tool selection off of those patterns, this will keep your start up costs low.

No point in paying $25 for a brass hair stacker if your not going to tie deer hair patterns just yet.

What you need is a vice, good quality scissors, hackle pliers, whip finisher and a couple of bobbins, with that you can tie a most nymphs and streamers
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Orvis and Wapsi make some decent starter kits in the $100-$175 range:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...subcat_id=6176

http://www.wapsifly.com/wapkits.html

Although I would be more inclined to buy either a decent used vise:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ326477008

...and buy materials and tools separately.

Another option, as suggested in a previous post is to snag something like this:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ328154112

Which may turn out to be a hell of a deal.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 PM

well, have a set up and a bunch of materials now. Anyone want to spend a rainy day this week perhaps showing me the ropes? I'll buy lunch and some beer
Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM

I just got started myself. I learned my first few flies from youtube.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
well, have a set up and a bunch of materials now. Anyone want to spend a rainy day this week perhaps showing me the ropes? I'll buy lunch and some beer
I would be happy to, but it would have to be on the weekend.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM

work destroys my availability this week, we'll aim for one in the future. I am going to try a you tube play by play!