Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM

Default Walleyes in Sylvan Lake

Fished Murdo Bay on Sylvan yesterday and it was very slow. I did catch a decent sized walleye in 5 feet of water. In 8 years of fishing Sylvan, this is the first walleye I have seen or caught.

We usually fish fairly shallow so I never have expected to catch one. However, after catching this one and hearing more and more stories about incidental catches by others, I wonder if the walleye population is finally reaching a sustainable level. Anybody know if they might be considering removing the zero limit on them any time soon?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
TundraBuck

They're talking about the tag system on Sylvan, Pine, and the RDR.

At my various perch spots on Sylvan I am catching a few walleye a day, anywhere from 6" up to 24" and about 6 pounds.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

Default lol

They been aggresive stocking sylvan with walleye. Preaty soon we will lose another fishery to walleye. They already are doing massive damage to perch numbers in sylvan. Preaty soon there turn on the whitefish and the the rest of the bait fish and smaller sized fish. But no wait theres hope the tag system is going to come just like it did at pigion. Oh wait nvm Just all the big walleye will be gone. The ones over 20+inches which. Basically turning into another pigion. With lots of 17-20inch fish and nothing else. Oh yah there probably won't be any big whitefish either like at pigion considering the one sylvan are alot smaller by gentics.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 PM

Default lol

Another great message from HPF!!!! No sarcasm here either!!! I really like your positive views. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherboy View Post
Another great message from HPF!!!! No sarcasm here either!!! I really like your positive views. Thanks.
np just informing on whats more then likely happen if u did'nt like i could care less.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:12 PM

Default lol

I really think you do care, why the reply? If you think your views are great and positive and also can make a difference with all these lakes that are overfished or have been overfished, please do some lobbying and make a difference. We can all use the help with new and innovative ways or ideas with conservation.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM

I've caught lots of Walleye in Sylvan, some small and some big. Haven't been actually targetting them, but fishing for perch I always catch some. Once I put on my walleye special hook just to see what would happen and every time i dropped it it had a walleye. Didn't have a camera at the time so who knows what it was like down there. Wasn't catching perch, but that's no surprise.

It's a fact of life though, perch eat small bait, walleye eat perch, pike eat walleye....circle of life. Acutally, pike eat anything and I pretty sure walleye eat white fish. I really hope they institute the tag system here, that would be great. I know where to catch them lol.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=butcherboy;249031]I really think you do care, why the reply? If you think your views are great and positive and also can make a difference with all these lakes that are overfished or have been overfished, please do some lobbying and make a difference. We can all use the help with new and innovative ways or ideas with conservation.[/QUOT

One person can't do nothing they did'nt care they will just please the majority of people till everything coplases then they will go into damage mode to late and close everything.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Anyone no were the best luck is on sylvan what bay???
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWO View Post
In 8 years of fishing Sylvan, this is the first walleye I have seen or caught.
Thats weird ive caught more walleye then anything out of Sylvan its Perch im having trouble with lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
One person can't do nothing
once again you are right; 1 person CAN do something (saying as that's exactly what you just said), an effor just needs to be made.

on a side note, you better do a little research on walleye and how whitefish are not found on their menu. Oh, and BTW, the white fishing on pigeon is the best i've seen in years (the last 4 years compared to 10 years ago anyway); most likely due to the low numbers of large pike
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM

I think pigion should get rid of the tag system and re-introduce a slot size for the walleye its way past due. Sylvan has no where near the numbers pigion has. I have yet to catch a skinny stavin walleye out of sylvan.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
jrs

"considering the one sylvan are alot smaller by gentics"

I'd normally leave this one alone (considering the circumstances) but this is a rumor I've heard many times in central Alberta. The Sylvan whites are smaller due to food sources and habitat, not genetics. They were actually sourced from Pigeon Lake, which is another water body that has been known historically to have genetically small whitefish. Anyone fish Gull and appreciate the 20'' average fatty whitefish? They were moved into Gull from Pigeon in 1975 as well. The Sylvan whites however are by far the smallest and skinniest I've ever angled, not saying much though as I'm used to southern Alberta reservoir whites that average about 3 lbs and push 5-6 lbs fairly often. Great pike and walleye food when they're small though, probably why there's so many chubby large piscivorous fish in Sylvan (though walleye usually eat more shiners and perch than anything else).
Old 08-22-2015, 12:11 PM

Default sylva n

Where is Murdo Bat Sylvan Lake?