Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Have not bought farmed salmon for years, first and foremost because I do not agree with the west coast salmon farms, and secondly, farmed atlantic salmon is a sub par product
I could not agree more MountainTi. I have eaten farmed Atlantic Salmon twice. The first and the last time!

I have caught and eaten lots of Wild Atlantic Salmon and frankly they are two very different fish, with no comparison whatsoever. I would rather eat a pork shoulder then that crappy man made fish, all day long.

Last edited by elkivory; 08-19-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
For the real skinny on Salmon Farming, give this Salmon Confidential video documentary a look.
It's on the top left of the home page .. http://baitrix.com/

It's about an hour long and I'm betting you will never eat a farmed Salmon again .. ever.
Sad state of affairs. I won't be eating farmed salmon any more. At least not ocean farmed raised salmon.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Actually, there are more fish showing up than expected, both Sockeye and Pinks..it is a Pink cycle though and an off cycle for Sockeye.
It is the warm water and no rain that has DFO worried.
But, it hasnt stopped the Natives from fishing twice a week for commercial and food fishing..yeah right food fishing.....The river temps are high though and that is serious business.
Tight Lines,
Rob
How long have the Natives been fishing salmon in the Fraser? How long has DFO been managing the fisheries? Who did a better job and when did things go for crap?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
How long have the Natives been fishing salmon in the Fraser? How long has DFO been managing the fisheries? Who did a better job and when did things go for crap?
Lots go into it. Development along salmon streams. Roads and logging is huge. Not only causing siltation but also warming due to lack of shade. Then comes Mother Nature. Some years warmer. Some cooler. Some with more moisture. Some with less. Then comes historical ecosystem impacts such as as making river channelized and not natural. Removing log jams. Making them straight and uniform. Then comes BC environmentally friendly dams. Sure cheap power but with destructive impacts on fishing migrations. Then comes food for growing fish. Again. Impacts to the ecosystem. Then smolts get to the oceans they get flushed out fast. Not normal. Then potential for parsites. Then predators. Then in the ocean and El Niņo impacts food supplies and brings in warm water predators. Warmer seas are worse for salmon. In cold years they thrive. Then they migrate back. Factory ships from Russia, China, Korea, Denmark etc slaughter Canadian and American salmon. Then they return. Run the gauntlet of humboldt squid, salmon sharks, orcas and anglers. Then commercial trollers. Then seiners. Then anglers and native fisheries. Then migrate up waiting for high water. Then spawning. Then spawning success and smolt emergence. Repeated.

Basic but complicated. In bad years salmon need to be left to spawn to replenish stocks. In stellar years harvested. All the while building stocks higher and higher. As high as they can possibly go.

I see DFO setting a low bar and failing. Failing on salmon and halibut.

Your statement leads some to believe forecasting is easy. Today versus 150 years ago is silly.

If FN people could kill every last one they would of. They were all about getting as much food as possible. What saved fish populations is low FN populations and lack of technology.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 PM
Gone Hunting

"Your statement leads some to believe forecasting is easy. Today versus 150 years ago is silly. "

"It's not my statement that makes it impossible for DFO to get it right. Alaska has all those issues that you listed as well and yet year after year do amuch better job. Just lucky I guess.

Today versus 150 years ago is only silly if you are FN or a salmon.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand