Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 AM

Default Koi released in a lake back home

Id love to find the person that did this. This is a great lake I love to fish back home in BC. Sounds like it got hammered hard by ice fishers this year and now this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tion-1.2945523
Old 08-19-2015, 12:06 PM

Idiots at there best.
These people should be fined $ 25,000 or 1 year in jail if caught.
Why don't they publish this kind of stuff over all the news and internet to help inform people of the problems it causes.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:52 PM

I've heard - now t his is from the internet so god only knows if it's true, that some cultures believe that it's good luck to release something gold into the wild. Aka - release goldfish or koi into lake/river which is currently causing major issues all over.

Last edited by admin; 08-20-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:43 PM

They should open up bowfishing on any and all Koi and goldfish in streams or ponds.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:44 PM

It is true, my brother saw the fish
Old 08-19-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Idiots at there best.
These people should be fined $ 25,000 or 1 year in jail if caught.
Why don't they publish this kind of stuff over all the news and internet to help inform people of the problems it causes.
I think they've been trying to. Keep in mind that the general population isn't as fanatic about fishing as a group of people that spend their free time talking about fishing online. Hell, we're a small percentage of a fairly small percentage.

1 year in jail seems a little harsh, no?
Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Lock em up! one year seems fair to me...h*ll they will only serve 3 months anyway. You know what the problem with the world today is?....people
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Saw one at Marble point in the Shuswap 4 years ago, reported to F&W. The girl I talked to on the phone didn't really seem to give a rats ass about it, but she did take the report.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Fella netted one at the boat launch in Crawling Valley
Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 AM

I netted an"Oscar" fish in the Crawling Valley marina last summer - not as dangerous because they can't survive below 12 C.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Jail time? More taxpayers money going to house a potentially harmless person? Enforce the rules and if caught pay a massive fine. If they cant pay the fine, garnish their wage. Just my two cents.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Gone Hunting

HMM. The introduction of invasive species.

How is it dealt with in AB?

Perch gets the lake shut down.

Prussian carp can be enough of a detriment to native species to either get F?W to shut down the lake or not enough 'sperot' fish left to warrant anglers wetting a line.

Makes a guy wonder if the antis are doing this kind of stuff to quietly stop all fishing.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-20-2015, 02:11 PM

Lots of invasive species being released release where they shouldnt be.
Two years ago in Burnaby Central Park someone spotted a snakehead fish and called F&W they didnt believe it till someone spotted it and posted the phone video on you tube.
While draining the lake they found lots of released turtles and such.
Caught the dam thing and killed it.
Also in Langley behind the brooks wood Fire-hall is a small pond that now has Small mouth Bass and other Perch like fishies in it.
Some People need a smack on the back of the head wtf you thinking messing with mother nature thinking nothing is wrong with doing that.
Dragon Lk had large rainbows..not sure if they are Black Water strain or not, but if they are they will eat them Koi and get even bigger.
Tight Lines,
Rob
Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyIam View Post
They should open up bowfishing on any and all Koi and goldfish in streams or ponds.
In that area you can any non game fish is open to spear and bowfishing in BC, (this includes that pesky Northern Pike Minnow) I had to call fisheries to confirm that because next trip out I'm bringing my bow!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
HMM. The introduction of invasive species.

How is it dealt with in AB?

Perch gets the lake shut down.

Prussian carp can be enough of a detriment to native species to either get F?W to shut down the lake or not enough 'sperot' fish left to warrant anglers wetting a line.

Makes a guy wonder if the antis are doing this kind of stuff to quietly stop all fishing.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
1 year in jail seems a little harsh, no?
No......It's not harsh enough, A few good jail sentences and $100,000 fines handed out might wake up the ignorant public so they take notice and learn it's not a good thing to do. If the lake is infested and has to be killed and restocked that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. If they get into river systems they are impossible to eradicate. This needs to be taken far more seriously than simple fishing regulation infractions and the fines and sentences need to reflect it.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
No......It's not harsh enough, A few good jail sentences and $100,000 fines handed out might wake up the ignorant public so they take notice and learn it's not a good thing to do. If the lake is infested and has to be killed and restocked that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. If they get into river systems they are impossible to eradicate. This needs to be taken far more seriously than simple fishing regulation infractions and the fines and sentences need to reflect it.
Alrighty then.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Two years ago in Burnaby Central Park someone spotted a snakehead fish and called F&W they didnt believe it till someone spotted it and posted the phone video on you tube.
Also in Langley behind the brooks wood Fire-hall is a small pond that now has Small mouth Bass and other Perch like fishies in it.
Some People need a smack on the back of the head wtf you thinking messing with mother nature thinking nothing is wrong with doing that.
Dragon Lk had large rainbows..not sure if they are Black Water strain or not, but if they are they will eat them Koi and get even bigger.
Tight Lines,
Rob
I hope you're right cause I always wanted to go to Dragon and when I heard it was infested online a few months back I was disappointed. I don't see anything wrong with bow fishing them. In Alberta it would be legal, I don't see why it would be illegal in BC to take a trash fish with a bow.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 PM

I just do not understand people who take their intillect to throw a monkey wrench into the good of our society.

I am surprised no one has tried introducing lions or tigers into our forests. Or some other exotic animal
Old 08-20-2015, 08:25 PM

I went down to the local storm pond, it's 2 years old to watch the geese, saw some fish rising,a great blue heron comes and bad da bang batta boom catches a few gold colored fish, problems rampant, now where's my fly rod?
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post

I'm as far from a conspiracy nut as you can get. Have you seen anyone on this board suggest that the antis are messing with the draw system. Getting draws and not hunting to 'save' an animal?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Tight Lines,
Rob
Yes Dragon lake has the blackwater strain. Actually Dragon is where the blackwater strain is reared for stocking BC lakes by the freshwster fisheries.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:21 PM

Default Conspiracy?

I have to agree with a few folks here. There are too many and covering too large a range in Alberta of Koi dumping. I can see where it could be an 'anti' group dumping fish. Lakes, rivers, and ponds all over Alberta suddenly full of these junk fish. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but everybody is out to get us! LOL There is no such thing as coincidence
Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Hoarder View Post
Jail time? More taxpayers money going to house a potentially harmless person? Enforce the rules and if caught pay a massive fine. If they cant pay the fine, garnish their wage. Just my two cents.
IMO people serve time for much lesser crimes. If the justice system jails someone for selling marijuana, which isn't worse than alcohol, the introduction of invasive species into our waterways also deserves jail time AND a massive fine.

While releasing a couple koi fish into a waterway may seem harmless enough, people need to understand the effect invasive spiecies can have on the ecology of the area. An extreme example is the introduction of Lion Fish into the Gulf of Mexico. Whoever first released their Lion Fish into the gulf was likely "harmless" but their actions have had a detrimental effect. Lion Fish are spreading rapidly across the guf and tropical atlantic, and have made a substantial impact on native fish stocks. Seemingly small actions can have a large effect.

While releasing koi into a waterway in Canada may not have the same wide spread effect as the Lion Fish, the concept is the same. You can never know how much damage an invasive spiecies will do to an ecosystem before you introduce it. While education on the subject is a must, it is my opinion that such introductions be met with stiff penalties; including jail time and hefty fines.