Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

Default Double dipping or not?

A friend of mine applied for antlerless moose in a group draw and they got 3 moose tags for that zone for rifle season ( let's say 355). His question is, since it doesn't specify archery on the tag; can he hunt the archery season in a zone where bowhunting is allowed for moose without applying for a draw tag (let's say 521)? I feel like it would be double dipping, just how I entered a cow elk tag in my first year and didn't know you can't get a general elk tag.

He doesn't have social media so that's why I ask on his behalf.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued
From the regulation synopsis
Old 07-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
From the regulation synopsis
So I understand that he can basically double dip. He can hunt only in the specified bow only zones that do not require a special draw license, and then kill a cow moose with his rifle season tag.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 AM

hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued

If I understand what you are asking. The answer would be no. He can not "double dip" in this situation.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:03 AM

he has to hunt for moose only in the zone he was drawn for, and only cow moose
Old 07-13-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
he has to hunt for moose only in the zone he was drawn for, and only cow moose
He can harvest any antlerless moose, adult or calf.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
So I understand that he can basically double dip. He can hunt only in the specified bow only zones that do not require a special draw license, and then kill a cow moose with his rifle season tag.
No, bow or rifle he can only hunt in the WMU the draw is for. He cannot buy a second moose tag for anywhere else.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
No, bow or rifle he can only hunt in the WMU the draw is for. He cannot buy a second moose tag for anywhere else.
So he can only hunt the WMU he got the antlerless moose tag for and only in the rifle season for this year right? I thought so but the wording is somewhat confusing and seems like he can hunt archery in zones that allow for archery, and then once rifle season starts he can use his moose tag he drew this year for rifle.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
So he can only hunt the WMU he got the antlerless moose tag for and only in the rifle season for this year right? I thought so but the wording is somewhat confusing and seems like he can hunt archery in zones that allow for archery, and then once rifle season starts he can use his moose tag he drew this year for rifle.
Where do you read "only in the rifle season"?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
With a draw he can hunt the early bow season with a bow and the rifle season but only in the WMU the draw is for. He can only shoot one moose. If he kills a moose in bow season he has to stop hunting moose. If he doesn't kill a moose in bow season he can switch to a gun when the rifle season starts or if he wants he can keep using his bow all through rifle season.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
If he buys a general bow zone licence the system will not allow him to buy his special draw licence. And vice versa.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-16-2018, 10:48 AM

Default This hurts my brain!

Quote:
1. He can only hold one moose tag under his name no matter what in Alberta.
2. The moose tag he has is only valid for one WMU and one moose from that WMU.
3. If it is actually WMU 355 from last years regs he can hunt WMU 355 in the general archery season Aug 25- Sept 23 and the draw rifle season from Sept 24- Nov 30.
4. This is a Antlerless tag not a Cow tag so he can shoot only one moose with an antler length less than four inches.
5. He can only shoot one moose with this tag this year from the WMU and dates specified.
6. Never trust anyone from Canadian Tire EVER!
7. Get proficient with reading the regs before applying for a draw so you know what you are drawing for.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM

If you look in the regs it specifically tells you how many licenses you can hold for each species. The only ones you can "double dip" so to speak in the context you are describing is antlerless mule or antlerless whitetail deer.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:54 PM

^^ let’s not even go there ... that will be tomorrows thread .. can’t spoil it lol