Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 02:32 PM

Default What will they do now??

People in Quebec have said NO to the registry, it came into effect yesterday;

OPINION | Today is a special day. Unheard of in my 70 years of existence: the people refuse to respect a law passed in the National Assembly, that is on the gun registry.

By: Russel-Aurore Bouchard

The media are trying to reduce its importance

The government and the media are trying to reduce its importance by referring to the 1,600,000 long guns in the old register, but the reality is infinitely more serious. That number is actually only three-quarters of what was estimated at the time, which already gives us 2,000,000 long guns in Quebec in 2012, when the federal registry was eliminated. Add to that the weapons acquired in Quebec since 2012 by individuals, those purchased in the other provinces as well as those of the merchants and we arrive, at a minimum, at about 2,500,000 long guns in our province.

Loss of confidence in the government

A few hours before the end of the deadline, today, January 29, only about 375,000 firearms were registered, which is, in fact, about 7%.
Whatever happens, the message is powerful and the consequences can be severe not for offenders, but for state institutions, police and justice. In fact, the message that emerges from all this is the following: 1- Loss of confidence in the government; 2- Loss of confidence in the police; 3- Break more and more marked between the people of the regions and the people of Montreal; 4. The people have come to understand that they have a very powerful power against a government that they consider unfair to them; 5- Beginning of a revolt against the State in the next circumstances where the people will feel aggrieved by the State; 6- Loss of legitimacy of the government and impossibility to continue its mandate.

The legitimacy of governing

In such circumstances, the government is faced with a painful choice, since it has clearly lost the legitimacy to govern: either it resigns and calls for new elections, or it opens the machine at full speed to impose a moratorium on the current law to see how it could bring the parties together.

Of these three possibilities, I have no answer. It's up to them to decide.

https://dixquatre.com/…/registre-des...eu-etat-de-…/…
Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
People in Quebec have said NO to the registry, it came into effect yesterday;

OPINION | Today is a special day. Unheard of in my 70 years of existence: the people refuse to respect a law passed in the National Assembly, that is on the gun registry.

By: Russel-Aurore Bouchard

The media are trying to reduce its importance

The government and the media are trying to reduce its importance by referring to the 1,600,000 long guns in the old register, but the reality is infinitely more serious. That number is actually only three-quarters of what was estimated at the time, which already gives us 2,000,000 long guns in Quebec in 2012, when the federal registry was eliminated. Add to that the weapons acquired in Quebec since 2012 by individuals, those purchased in the other provinces as well as those of the merchants and we arrive, at a minimum, at about 2,500,000 long guns in our province.

Loss of confidence in the government

A few hours before the end of the deadline, today, January 29, only about 375,000 firearms were registered, which is, in fact, about 7%.
Whatever happens, the message is powerful and the consequences can be severe not for offenders, but for state institutions, police and justice. In fact, the message that emerges from all this is the following: 1- Loss of confidence in the government; 2- Loss of confidence in the police; 3- Break more and more marked between the people of the regions and the people of Montreal; 4. The people have come to understand that they have a very powerful power against a government that they consider unfair to them; 5- Beginning of a revolt against the State in the next circumstances where the people will feel aggrieved by the State; 6- Loss of legitimacy of the government and impossibility to continue its mandate.

The legitimacy of governing

In such circumstances, the government is faced with a painful choice, since it has clearly lost the legitimacy to govern: either it resigns and calls for new elections, or it opens the machine at full speed to impose a moratorium on the current law to see how it could bring the parties together.

Of these three possibilities, I have no answer. It's up to them to decide.

https://dixquatre.com/…/registre-des...eu-etat-de-…/…
Luckily they have the UN "peace keepers" at their disposal...

It's about damn time people starting saying NO.

TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION IS SLAVERY.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:25 PM

I would think the police forces in Quebec will now be collecting addresses and warrant requests from the existing registry information....
Old 01-30-2019, 04:43 PM

Glad it’s Quebec. If there is one thing we can count on them for, it’s a protest!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2019, 04:56 PM

I admire their moxy. they must have been watching and taking lessons from their brethren in France. never thought I would make that kind of statement.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:01 PM

That's a pretty powerful message.. 7% . If they realized only 30% compliance that would still be powerful. The next couple of months will be interesting.
Gotta Luv Quebec gun owners.( just the gun owners)
Old 01-30-2019, 05:06 PM

Wow we are applauding a very right wing move in the Nation of Quebec. Whodathunk?!
I say GOOD ON EM!

Hopefully the winds of change are blowing and the Conservatives gain some traction with this. I realize this is a provincial issue but there are Federal strings here too. If I were Andrew Scheer I would be all over this
Old 01-30-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
That's a pretty powerful message.. 7% . If they realized only 30% compliance that would still be powerful. The next couple of months will be interesting.
Gotta Luv Quebec gun owners.( just the gun owners)
No kidding. It's actually mind blowing.

Lack of advertising the new registry maybe? Or just outright defiance? I hope the latter
Old 01-30-2019, 05:18 PM

If every licensed owner registered one gun they wouldn't know who to go after first and they would need a warrant to search tying up courts and cops.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
No kidding. It's actually mind blowing.

Lack of advertising the new registry maybe? Or just outright defiance? I hope the latter
You can bet the Twerp and his crew of imbeciles will be watching this one... with dismay. I think the new registry was common knowledge throughout the
Province.I know a couple of gun owners there and they we really dead set against it.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:13 AM

Thumbs up

Gotta give them credit for "Sticking to their Guns"""
Old 01-31-2019, 12:20 PM

These gun owners are much like the rest of us gun owners,and want nothing to do with the bloody registry,its been quashed in the rest of the country what is this government trying to prove.I hope they protest the hell out of it.The government legalized pot so they should roll up a fatty and chill.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
In fact, the message that emerges from all this is the following: 1- Loss of confidence in the government; 2- Loss of confidence in the police; 3- Break more and more marked between the people of the regions and the people of Montreal; 4. The people have come to understand that they have a very powerful power against a government that they consider unfair to them; 5- Beginning of a revolt against the State in the next circumstances where the people will feel aggrieved by the State; 6- Loss of legitimacy of the government and impossibility to continue its mandate.

I would say those terms, especially the first two describe the feeling of the Canadian people as a whole, not just Quebecker's.

I never thought I would say this but I stand behind Quebec on this on. I hope the new registry fails immediately so this sets even more legal precedent to prevent another registry from ever being formed.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM

The latest news

A revolt is brewing in small towns across Quebec against the provincial law forcing long-gun owners to register their firearms with the government.

As the deadline to register shotguns and rifles passed this week, 75 per cent of the long guns believed to be in the province had not been registered. And a growing number of rural town councils are adopting resolutions denouncing the registry or calling for it to be scrapped entirely.

The Canadian Press confirmed Wednesday that at least 15 towns recently passed such resolutions. Philip Tetrault, mayor of Warden, a town of 400 residents about 100 kilometres east of Montreal, said the registry is useless and will end up like the federal version, which was dissolved by the Conservatives in 2012 following major cost overruns.

"In a few years, it'll be abolished," Tetrault predicted in an interview. "The registry might be popular in Montreal and Quebec City, but the majority of people (in Warden) are against it." He said the government should take the tens of millions of dollars it expects to spend on the registry over the next few years and use it for mental health care

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/gun-regi...back-1.4276564

A recent Leger poll conducted Dec. 21-26 for a gun control lobby group, indicated 78 per cent of respondents were in favour of the registry. Remi Montminy, town manager of St-Francois-de-la-Riviere-du-Sud, said his 1,600-person town northeast of Quebec City conducted its own survey and found that 82 per cent of respondents rejected the registry. The poll was unscientific, and about 100 residents took part, he said.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:07 PM

The First Nations are now challenging it, they say they were not consulted and it violates a Supreme Court ruling, which may affect everyone else and backfire in Quebec also, and the NFA gets their court case going against it in Feb sometime. I gather there is something in there where you have a 45 day grace period of some form, so a lot of guns may have been borrowed from a relative in Ontario whilst out hunting. This sort of stuff is fun to watch.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:30 PM

Good to see, but it's too bad the government can't even learn from very recent past mistakes.

I saw a similar article about New Jersey's magazine size ban that is rumoured to have 0% compliance on an estimated 10million magazines.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/12/new...#axzz5eDsdt2uf
Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidityKills View Post
Good to see, but it's too bad the government can't even learn from very recent past mistakes.

I saw a similar article about New Jersey's magazine size ban that is rumoured to have 0% compliance on an estimated 10million magazines.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/12/new...#axzz5eDsdt2uf
I doubt they see it as a mistake rather just a short term road block to confiscation. The gun hating folk never seem to quit!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:00 PM

Good for them.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:47 PM

Quebecers are protesting the registry because guns only have one serial number, it confuses them, they think there should be two, one in french and one in english
Old 02-01-2019, 09:42 AM

Default quebec registry

I would think a good constitutional lawyer could challenge the registry as it is Federal jurisdiction area of legislation?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Apparently the count of towns that are against it, is up to the region of 80 now. And the police in the north have said they won't enforce it with the Inuit, unless there is a firearms related incident that they have to attend to.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Apparently the count of towns that are against it, is up to the region of 80 now. And the police in the north have said they won't enforce it with the Inuit, unless there is a firearms related incident that they have to attend to.
That's a crock, ( wont Inforce it with the Inuit,) I thought we were all equal in this country?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Nevermind.i know better in this country.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Good for Quebecers

The introduction of Quebec's gun registry was made out by the government and the media to be what the people wanted. Now we know better.
It's similar with other issues. (carbon tax, pipeline opposition, gun control, etc.) Our governments are out of touch with what the majority of us want. They tend to listen to their choice of squeaky wheels.
Polarization isn't as big an issue as our government wants us to believe. Dividing the people divides the vote and allows the elected to cherry pick which regions to appease with funding, instead of doing what really needs doing and ignoring problems that don't exist.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
The introduction of Quebec's gun registry was made out by the government and the media to be what the people wanted. Now we know better.
It's similar with other issues. (carbon tax, pipeline opposition, gun control, etc.) Our governments are out of touch with what the majority of us want. They tend to listen to their choice of squeaky wheels.
Polarization isn't as big an issue as our government wants us to believe. Dividing the people divides the vote and allows the elected to cherry pick which regions to appease with funding, instead of doing what really needs doing and ignoring problems that don't exist.
It proves that the majority of gun owners do not want a registry not the majority of the people. The majority of people don’t know what they want, they eat what they are fed.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:05 AM

It's easy to promote a registry or ban if it doesn't affect you, don't own firearms just check off a box didn't feel a thing. Try asking firearm owners the same question.