Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-10-2023, 03:10 PM

Default Looking for recommendation

About ten years ago a group of us flew in for some fly-in fishing in northern AB. We flew in with Mikisew Sport Fishing. We had a blast caught a lot of fish and we want to redo the trip. Since then they have shut down so I am looking for some recommendation on a replacement trip. Can be in northern AB or Sask. We have a group of six people and are looking for roughly a 4-6 night stay. We would like to be flown in and dropped off. No guides we are all experienced fishing and are looking to make it more affordable. Boats, fuel, cabin supplied. We will bring our own rod, tackle, sleeping bags and food.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:59 PM

Check out slims cabins Sk. Have multiple fly out options for for do it yourself types
Old 10-10-2023, 04:17 PM

PM sent, think I have the absolute perfect place for what you describe. Fly In, can do your own thing without guide, have the whole place to yourselves, 6-7 lakes to explore. Pike, Walleye, lake trout, great sleeping cabin. I'm sure they would allow you to bring your own food and cook for yourselves, but they can also handle that for you. Very flexible, and one of the best value money wise out there.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
PM sent, think I have the absolute perfect place for what you describe. Fly In, can do your own thing without guide, have the whole place to yourselves, 6-7 lakes to explore. Pike, Walleye, lake trout, great sleeping cabin. I'm sure they would allow you to bring your own food and cook for yourselves, but they can also handle that for you. Very flexible, and one of the best value money wise out there.
Can you share with the rest of us? Many would like the same type of thing so if we can’t offer a place we follow the thread for future trips....much appreciated.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-10-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Can you share with the rest of us? Many would like the same type of thing so if we can’t offer a place we follow the thread for future trips....much appreciated.
Second that! Always a crap shoot when looking at places like this so if someone has first hand experience and says it’s good, I’m much more likely to go where I have heard good things vs throwing a dart at a wall and hoping. Especially when taking the wife who isn’t big into fishing but will go along.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:04 PM

Ubiquity lake
Old 10-10-2023, 09:49 PM

Certainly, apologies folks. vermilionlakeoutfitters.com Mel and Marge run the place approx 1 hour north via air from buffalo narrows SK. I think there may be several threads even? Been up there 13-14 times in the last 16 years. From 2 of us to a group of 7. We usually do a full 7 day trip up there every august. Access to 6-7 lakes, Pike, Walleye, and lake trout for the most part. Just a fishermans paradise. Place to yourself, no phones/internet. Great facilities. Great boats/motors, fantastic meals. And compared to other outfitters the price is really hard to beat.

Contact Mel 1-780-872-0339 Tell him Terry sent you.
Old 10-11-2023, 06:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Certainly, apologies folks. vermilionlakeoutfitters.com Mel and Marge run the place approx 1 hour north via air from buffalo narrows SK. I think there may be several threads even? Been up there 13-14 times in the last 16 years. From 2 of us to a group of 7. We usually do a full 7 day trip up there every august. Access to 6-7 lakes, Pike, Walleye, and lake trout for the most part. Just a fishermans paradise. Place to yourself, no phones/internet. Great facilities. Great boats/motors, fantastic meals. And compared to other outfitters the price is really hard to beat.

Contact Mel 1-780-872-0339 Tell him Terry sent you.
Thank you Terry, very much appreciated, gotta fill my retirement weeks with adventures one after another
Wow the place you suggests looks awesome.

To the OP might be worth checking out Bakers Narrows Lodge in Manitoba.
In conjunction with a great location, awesome fishing for a huge variety of fish Brett the owner has a float plane and can get you out to some remote lakes.

I have been there twice over the last two years and wouldn’t have returned if it wasn’t worth it, in fact gonna book again for April ice fishing and again in the summer too.

https://www.bakersnarrowslodge.com/

Last edited by 58thecat; 10-11-2023 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:29 PM

Thanks all for the great suggestions our last trip we pulled in four monsters and repeat would be awesome.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM

I vote Cree Lake. Broken arrow lodge is a self guided lodge and affordable. Cree lake lodge also has self guided options as does the lodge at cable bay.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:10 PM

Default Looking for recommendations

Yep, Cree Lake. Broken Arrow Lodge. Spent a week up there this summer, and we had a great time. Caught lakers to 38lbs, and pike to 30lbs.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:21 PM

Ok can’t find rates for broken arrow could you guys ball park the cost of your trip?
Old 10-12-2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ok can’t find rates for broken arrow could you guys ball park the cost of your trip?
Broken Arrow is approx $3000 CAD + tax per person for a 7 day trip. Which is a really good deal in my opinion. I'm looking through old emails and 2018 trip to vermilion lake was just shy of $13,000 for 6 people, 7 day trip. Obviously that price may be different today. But thats the info I have on hand. I'm biased of course with many trips to vermilion and good times, and a great relationship with the owners. But some research on Broken Arrow Lodge...... wow. Certainly a great option. I'm putting it on my bucket list.
Old 10-13-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Broken Arrow is approx $3000 CAD + tax per person for a 7 day trip. Which is a really good deal in my opinion. I'm looking through old emails and 2018 trip to vermilion lake was just shy of $13,000 for 6 people, 7 day trip. Obviously that price may be different today. But thats the info I have on hand. I'm biased of course with many trips to vermilion and good times, and a great relationship with the owners. But some research on Broken Arrow Lodge...... wow. Certainly a great option. I'm putting it on my bucket list.
Thanks always looking at options
Old 10-13-2023, 06:28 PM

Brian also opens Broken arrow from beginning of March to April 15. Snowmobile in (or fly) and catch 30lb lakers 500ft from the lodge.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Brian also opens Broken arrow from beginning of March to April 15. Snowmobile in (or fly) and catch 30lb lakers 500ft from the lodge.
Probably going to book in November for next year 2024....and hopefully get out this ice fishing season too.

Old 10-14-2023, 07:32 AM

Give Dan a call at https://www.andrewlakelodge.com/plan-your-trip/fishing/

There is a grass runway at Andrew Lake Lodge, and you could fly up from Fort McMurray. I recently got back from a 10 day hunting/fishing trip at South Leland Lake, which you could get to from Fort Mac on McMurray Aviation's amphibious Caravan. We didn't find any monster fish at South Leland, but I know Andrew Lake has monsters.