Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yycadm View Post
About 3 weeks ago I was in Cabellas in Regina, and picked up a box of bulk UMC 9mm rounds. I went to the cashier, but the ammo on the counter, and got out my billfold to dig out my PAL.

I couldn't find it instantly, and I said some to the effect of "Sorry, I know its in here. Must be stuck to another card".

She: "Don't worry about it! I don't need to see that; I know you, I've seen you in here before!"

By that time, I'd found it and taken it out of my wallet. I held it out and she waved it away, never looked at it. I am in there quite regularly (it's pretty skinny for gun stores in Regina), true enough. I have not EVER made an ammo purchase with that clerk though, and most definitely don't know her. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I did take the ammunition out to my truck and lock it in the back, then went back in and spoke to the store manager. I didn't want to get her into trouble, so I was non-specific which clerk it was, and told him what had happened. His response? Maybe she DOES recognize you...??!!???

I suggested that didn't matter one way or another; they had a legal obligation to check. Only then did he grudgingly agree, and say that he'd make sure they asked for it from then on. I don't know if they do; I haven't bought any ammo there since.
Now that right there isn't funny, it's pathetic.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:03 PM

hes trying to do the right thing guys we cant bring back bullying over this
Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 PM

Default Gun Store in Calgary

Here I am browsing away at the gun rifles in the gun rack and some guy and his girlie friend. He says he's heading up north to Ft. Mac or something and is looking for a lever action to fend off bears and asks to look at a 30-30 (Marlin 336C). Fella behind the counter says, "nope". 30-30 won't take down a bear. "What you need is this here 45/70 Marlin ($700). There was an older fella standing there as well (carrying an oxy bottle) and he says "yep!!, that'll just bounce off his head and **** him off and he goes into the description of the bears skull...blah..blah..blah.
So the Ft mac guy says well what about one of them short shotties. And again, both the store guy and and old feller warn him about how under powered a 12g slug is ..blah..blah.blah...
I made comment on how my grand dad used his Savage 340 for everything from deer , moose elk and black bear.
I was stared at for a split second of eternity and the store guy says yeah but bears are different farther up north.
The old guy says back then they made "real" bullets..........
I'm pretty sure I saw Ft mac guy at Bass Pro looking at a 336 lol

I've never hunted bears myself with a 30-30 or a 12g so I can't comment from experience but it seems now, that I am wayyy under gunned with my rifle arsenal.

Last edited by Huntsman; 06-19-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM

Yes we have RL22 in stock, how many pounds would you like?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmike123 View Post
Like everyone, they are probably just pressured to be all knowing in order to sell stuff. I am sure they have some laughs at some of the customers they get too.

True Dat!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:59 PM

Default Geeez

Gee whiz YYC? What exactly did you get from playing Ammo police?
I don't understand, you must obviously feel the system protects you?
Would it be bad to request a return of your Western Man Card? Lol
Old 06-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Banned

Default post#353

Yes it seems strange, but with order to be followed his actions are not out of place.

I would have not shared.

But I support his decision and action.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Gone Hunting

"I don't get why .270's hold 5 rounds when you're only allowed to hunt with 3."

lol

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 06-20-2014, 03:08 PM

At WSS Calgary. There is a really old fart working the firearms desk, and if you've been there a few times you should know who I'm talking about. If he calls my number I just pretend that I never picked a number up haha. I've recieved good help from a bunch of other guys there.

Anyways, I was there yesterday and a younger cowboy looking dude wants a lever action .22, so I'm listening to them talk and old guy says they don't have any .22 ammo whatsoever, no idea when they are going to get some in. As the guy picks up his new rifle and walks to the front, another employee opens boxes and starts laying boxes of .22 ammo out. I caught up with cowboy and old guy at the checkout and told him they are putting out a bunch of .22 ammo, old guy gives a "whatever, musta just got it in".
Old 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=williams;2470066]At WSS Calgary. There is a really old fart working the firearms desk, and if you've been there a few times you should know who I'm talking about. If he calls my number I just pretend that I never picked a number up haha.
if the old guy you are refering to is dave you would be a whole lot smarter little man if you paid close attention to every thing he will take the time to tell you
Old 06-20-2014, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=45/70/500;2470093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams View Post
At WSS Calgary. There is a really old fart working the firearms desk, and if you've been there a few times you should know who I'm talking about. If he calls my number I just pretend that I never picked a number up haha.
if the old guy you are refering to is dave you would be a whole lot smarter little man if you paid close attention to every thing he will take the time to tell you
Agreed
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM

[quote=45/70/500;2470093]
Quote:
x3
Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 PM

May be so, but I've been treated rudely by him as well.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=qwert;2470178]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post

x3
x4 he's forgot more than most of us will ever know about gun's etc.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Banned

You cant shoot upland bird with a 22.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
At WSS Calgary. There is a really old fart working the firearms desk, and if you've been there a few times you should know who I'm talking about. If he calls my number I just pretend that I never picked a number up haha. I've recieved good help from a bunch of other guys there.

Anyways, I was there yesterday and a younger cowboy looking dude wants a lever action .22, so I'm listening to them talk and old guy says they don't have any .22 ammo whatsoever, no idea when they are going to get some in. As the guy picks up his new rifle and walks to the front, another employee opens boxes and starts laying boxes of .22 ammo out. I caught up with cowboy and old guy at the checkout and told him they are putting out a bunch of .22 ammo, old guy gives a "whatever, musta just got it in".
I wouldn't hardly call that grounds for a person not being knowledgeable.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=45/70/500;2470093]
Quote:
At WSS Calgary. There is a really old fart working the firearms desk, and if you've been there a few times you should know who I'm talking about. If he calls my number I just pretend that I never picked a number up haha.
You are so right.......one of the most knowledgeable there....
Old 06-21-2014, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=Benelli1;2470332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post

You are so right.......one of the most knowledgeable there....
What is it? X5? X9? I will admit I am hardly the most patient of men, but I learn something every time I get a chance to talk with him. And he has more patience than God when it comes to us youngins. We need more like him.

Colin.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 AM

[QUOTE=colroggal;2470882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
We need more like him.
x whatever. One of the few that knew what 9.3x62 was and could actually talk shop about a more obscure cartridge. That's not saying that there isn't other good guys there but they tend to gravitate towards the run of the mill stuff, which I'm not really all that interested in.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Banned

Funniest thing I ever overheard was some guy saying he didn't really need another gun. Funny. (I think he had been drinking)
Old 06-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Employee from the hunting department at Cabela's South in Edmonton laughed out loud on the phone and said (when talking about surplus Romanian 7.62x39 ammo), "You're telling me it was made in 1973? I don't think so.... hahahaha. 60 years old... I don't think so... hahahaha." Yes, he said 60 years when it would actually be 41, and yes that is the date- check the various stampings and marking that will tell you so. Way to belittle your customers and be an idiot.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 PM

Default just had to post this one.

Keeping the thread alive one twit at a time.

This is enough reason to open a box of ammo before you buy it. I was in wss calgary this afternoon to pick up some .410 shells and to fondle the rifles they're holding for me () and I encountered two 20-somethings browsing the ammo aisles. Neither was a shooter. Neither owned a firearm. Fair enough. They were comparing a box of 30-06 to a box of 30-30's. The one guy says ' 30-30 just sounds so much bigger'. His friend says someone must have switched them and they go about putting the 30-30's in the 30-06 box and only pause when the 30-06's don't quite fit in the 30-30 box. I intervened and nicely pointed out the boxes were properly labled. I briefly explained what the cartridge designations meant and kindly asked them to refrain from reorganizing the stock. They took my input well but still didn't understand why it would make that much of a difference.

Long story short. Check your ammo at the self serve shelves.

Colin
Old 09-15-2014, 04:08 PM

Saw two guys looking at the call section in WSS....then they go an ask one of the workers. "Do you have any grouse calls?" "I am trying to find a little drum to make that drumming noise they make"

Made me smile

LC
Old 09-15-2014, 05:23 PM

We were in bass Pro when we went down for the SCI pheasant shoot.
Asked the guy at thee gun counter for some PB or 4756.
I noticed that they also had quite a bit of powder in the glass case.
"Nope, all we have is a bit of IMR4350 and a bit of something else"
"Okay, then I'll take that can of IMR7625 and the can of Alliant Steel in the counter anyway- i can always use it"
Oh, those are just for display, they're empty"!!
I couldn't believe it......
Cat
Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Keeping the thread alive one twit at a time.

This is enough reason to open a box of ammo before you buy it. I was in wss calgary this afternoon to pick up some .410 shells and to fondle the rifles they're holding for me () and I encountered two 20-somethings browsing the ammo aisles. Neither was a shooter. Neither owned a firearm. Fair enough. They were comparing a box of 30-06 to a box of 30-30's. The one guy says ' 30-30 just sounds so much bigger'. His friend says someone must have switched them and they go about putting the 30-30's in the 30-06 box and only pause when the 30-06's don't quite fit in the 30-30 box. I intervened and nicely pointed out the boxes were properly labled. I briefly explained what the cartridge designations meant and kindly asked them to refrain from reorganizing the stock. They took my input well but still didn't understand why it would make that much of a difference.

Long story short. Check your ammo at the self serve shelves.

Colin
wow now thats retarded ...big time ....

ok for mine ....... hey what cha loading for ??? (both looking at reloading bullets) , 308 norma mag , cool never seen or fired one of those i said , what kind of ballistics ??? - a 180 at 3800 fps ......whistle ..... thats a hot load ..... thought the 300 rum and 30-378 were at the top of the game ( maybe a lazzeroni warbird or something too)like 3200 ish , he proceeded to open a r-manuel and show me ....... top velocity listed ....3000 fps ....lol

hope hes not a member here ...
Old 09-15-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Saw two guys looking at the call section in WSS....then they go an ask one of the workers. "Do you have any grouse calls?" "I am trying to find a little drum to make that drumming noise they make"

Made me smile

LC
OH Shoot... this made me laugh real real hard!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We were in bass Pro when we went down for the SCI pheasant shoot.
Asked the guy at thee gun counter for some PB or 4756.
I noticed that they also had quite a bit of powder in the glass case.
"Nope, all we have is a bit of IMR4350 and a bit of something else"
"Okay, then I'll take that can of IMR7625 and the can of Alliant Steel in the counter anyway- i can always use it"
Oh, those are just for display, they're empty"!!
I couldn't believe it......
Cat
Pretty common for stores to have empty cans for display. Although usually they swap them in and out of the display case to show they have stock of that powder. Bass Pro just has an empty display can for every single powder they stock and the employee has to go check what they actually have in the back. Poor system, but certainly not unbelievable in the grand scheme of unbelievable gun counter antics. No?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Pretty common for stores to have empty cans for display. Although usually they swap them in and out of the display case to show they have stock of that powder. Bass Pro just has an empty display can for every single powder they stock and the employee has to go check what they actually have in the back. Poor system, but certainly not unbelievable in the grand scheme of unbelievable gun counter antics. No?
They didn't have any of the powder they were displaying, for the life of me I can't figure out why they would display stuff they do not have.
I didn't go there to look at an empty can, I have lots of them at home!!
Cat
Old 09-16-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
They didn't have any of the powder they were displaying, for the life of me I can't figure out why they would display stuff they do not have.
I didn't go there to look at an empty can, I have lots of them at home!!
Cat
last season I called those guys at BassPro and asked if thay had Aliant Steel and #1 shot. Yes, we do was the answer. I drove there from (deep) south of Calgary to hear ..... mmmm, uhhh, mmmm ...... no we do not have them.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:50 PM

Default Yuppie in a gun store

This goes back about 20 years ago at the Wholesale sports counter in Calgary.
This was before the grab a number days and everyone lined up at the counter and waited their turn. I was standing besides a young fellow about 25 to 30 years old when the saleperson asks what he can help him with.
The fellow asks for a gun to shoot bears with. Salesman asks for a couple of specifics like action type, brand and caliber. Guy says he doesn't know anything about guns. Salesman mentions a bolt action is a safe bet and a 30-06 would be a great allround cartridge to go with. Salesman then asks him how much experience he has with shooting any type of firearm. Guy responds he has none. Salesman then reasonably in my opinion tells the customer that maybe a 308 would be a better choice as it has less recoil and might be a little more pleasant to shoot while practicing. The salesman then tells him not to worry though as the 308 has plenty of killing power for bears.

The young fellow responds that he doesn't care about killing bears he just wants to shoot them so that they go away and wont return to his yard on an acreage near Bragg Creek.

Salesman then politely told him he was not in need of a gun and that he should call fish and wildlife for help with his bear.

Save time... see it my way