Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Default Old Johnson questions.

A fellow I work with just gave me a 3hp Johnson Sea Horse motor. Not sure of the exact age but its pretty old, its got a sparkly red and white paint scheme that looks like a 50's Chevy...

It starts and runs well but there are two dials on it I've never seen before, one is marked "low speed" and I'm assuming the other must be high speed? Each dial is marked "Lean" at one side and "Rich" on the other, I'm assuming the fuel... just wondering if anyone can confirm what these dials do and how to set and use them properly?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:12 PM

High speed and low speed jets.
I used set the low speed until it idled smooth and not too low and the high speed until it was running at full throttle smoothly
Never had any luck doing the high speed in a test taming though , always on the boat
Cat
Old 05-10-2018, 02:44 PM

As noted adjust the low speed ether way until the idle is nice and smooth. Usually set 2 turns out from lightly seated. Once warmed up, turn it to the lean side until the rpm drops, then slowly back it toward the rich till the rpm fluctuates again. Usually right in the center of thoes two points is where you want to be. Make sure you dont adjust it more than 1/8th of a turn at a time and let the engine catch up befor moving more. For the high speed you adjust that on the fly the same way. Make sure you run that motor at 24:1, as the crank and connecting rods have brass bushings, not bearings and require the additional lube. They are a great outboard and will run forever with little maintenance. Also maby look into doing the single line conversion if you are going to keep it around awhile, the twin line fittings are hard to gind and usually leak after a few years. Only costs about $35 excluding the tank.