Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Default Archery Season Camo???

Looking into getting some decent camo for the upcoming bow season. Just not sure what to get as far as brand names. I know what kind of pattern i want but not sure ifs it worth to go on something high end like scent blocker etc. Something affordable for sure.

Should i spend the money or just buy the cabelas knock off version?

I can afford either or but want to make the wise choice

Stevey
Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 PM

I use scent loc savana and it is nice. Scent loc or cabelas if your careful shouldnt really matter. If you dont wear your gear anywhere but in the bush and use cover scents and eliminators you will be fine. My first archery elk was at 12 yards and I was wearing can tire stuff but there was no shortage of cow elk urine on me.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 PM

I leave my hunting clothes outside for about 3 weeks before I go out. That "scent absorbing" clothing can be ridiculously expensive and high maintenance. I also avoid UV enhancing detergent. As for patterns, depends completely on where you hunt. Predator is pretty darn good for Alberta though.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY66 View Post
Looking into getting some decent camo for the upcoming bow season. Just not sure what to get as far as brand names. I know what kind of pattern i want but not sure ifs it worth to go on something high end like scent blocker etc. Something affordable for sure.

Should i spend the money or just buy the cabelas knock off version?

I can afford either or but want to make the wise choice

Stevey
Both would be good choices. Get a good open pattern like Realtree AP, Mossyoak Treestand, or ASAT is also a great pattern.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM

I wouldn't bother with the scent lok stuff, a little too gimmicky for me. Just use a good cover scent and hunt with the wind. I prefer a lighter shade of pattern but its all personal preferance. ASAT is a good one for sure. At the moment I really like King's "desert shadow", it seems to work well in all sorts of environments, prairie to mountain, but Kings have a few patterns to choose from. Priced reasonably too. JMHO. goodluck!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 PM

IO have the scentlok stuff, and I swear by it. Maybe it may seem liek a gimmick, but unless the multitudes of deer I've had pass by with out picking me up all had colds, then I think the stuff helps. You still have to keep it scent free, and wash before heading out. nothing will work if youve been sweatingat work all day and head straight out.

What you need to do is determine where you will be hunting, what the backgound will look like, ei Treestand, ground blind, Ground/tall grass, Evergreen, leaves, no leaves. Just try to match the background. And as silly as it seems, as soon as the leaves are gone, go to Winter whites. i shot my biggest buck ever last year out oof a treestand in late october wearing whites. No snow, just blue sky and bare trees.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:30 PM

I have been using xscent base layers for the past 2 years and swear by them. I predominately hunt on the ground in natural brush blinds. I have had elk down wind of me within 3 feet, deer within a foot and much more game within 3 yards. The time I sat in a treestand I had one doe sniffing the foot pegs of the tree I was sitting in. Does that count as zero yards?

I use a combination of xscent baselayers and poly pro mid layers in early season with a mosquito net leafy camo suit over top. The total price was like $100 bucks for complete camo suit and scent protection.

As the weather gets cold I use the same base layer and mid layer just team it up with ULTRA silent cabelas coat and pants.

Here is an article about carbon activation:
http://www.outdoorscentral.com/artma...icle_169.shtml

I personally wouldn't waste the money. I think those people who do swear by carbon are far more cautious about scent and take the extra precautions that let them get into those close encounter situations. Scent killing is an art in its own.

Camo is only used to break up your outline. It is also not effective when you are moving. I personally use Mossy Oak New Breakup, just because it was the cheapest and the colours blend well enough in Alberta. In my opinion the best camo you can get is CADPAT, the digital military camo. When the snow flies, I have my whites, I just havent had to use them yet!

Rene
Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM

blue jeans and a black sweat shirt.

no, I'm not kidding - it works just fine in a blind.

Other than that, what ever pattern's handy, they all work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
the best camo you can get is CADPAT, the digital military camo.
Rene
to be more precise, I know someone that was involved in testing comparisons @ Petawawa, in his opinion the Canadian pattern is better than the US pattern.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
blue jeans and a black sweat shirt.

no, I'm not kidding - it works just fine in a blind.
I agree. In my situation my brush blinds only break up my outline further. I need the camo to keep me from standing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
to be more precise, I know someone that was involved in testing comparisons @ Petawawa, in his opinion the Canadian pattern is better than the US pattern.
Again, I agree. I saw a short film on how CADPAT is superior to MARPAT, the American version.

Rene