Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Default New string = huge loss in velocity.

Recently had a new string put on and wow went to the out door range today knowing i would have to make some adjustments but wow....... i was shooting 270-275fps on average before string change and now i had to dropeall my pins and my 50pins is down a huge amount to the point where i think im lucky if im getting 250fps. Worst of all the BH i use that flew and had same POI as my FPs are now hitting 4 inches lower WTF????

Has anyone had the same problem? any solutions? bow shop is closed till tuesday so im not shooting until then.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM

Talking

Maybe the peep position is affecting your poi??? Maybe I will see you at Lane on Tuesday, I want to put on a Mongoose peep. The wife brought me a new APA Black Mamba MX2 on saturday.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post
Maybe the peep position is affecting your poi??? Maybe I will see you at Lane on Tuesday, I want to put on a Mongoose peep. The wife brought me a new APA Black Mamba MX2 on saturday.
Lucky bugger.... nice wife lol...........maybe about the peep.. but i had it tied to place but who knows... it was just fustrating... ill find out tuesday when i chrony it. I'll be at lane noonish.. work at 3 so if i see ya i see ya lol.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM

I think that I can be there around noonish as well. I want to chrony mine as well, now.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I think that I can be there around noonish as well. I want to chrony mine as well, now.
awsome, i'll be the small asian guy shooting a Ross and probably cussing if my problem isnt fixed
Old 08-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Talking

I be the guy missing, but missing fast ha ha!!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I be the guy missing, but missing fast ha ha!!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:26 PM

hey sounds like a party at lane archery. I'd come cuz I need to tune my bow but I have to work on tuesday looks like it will have to wait til wednesday.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbren View Post
hey sounds like a party at lane archery. I'd come cuz I need to tune my bow but I have to work on tuesday looks like it will have to wait til wednesday.
Hey we should hit the outdoor range sometime bren and catch up possibly plan some waterfowl hunts?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Bird hunting!!!!!!!!:d
Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM

lol did i get someones attention?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Talking

I was hooking up the decoy trailer, just to be ready on the 8th.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:53 PM

haha awsome!!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
Recently had a new string put on and wow went to the out door range today knowing i would have to make some adjustments but wow....... i was shooting 270-275fps on average before string change and now i had to dropeall my pins and my 50pins is down a huge amount to the point where i think im lucky if im getting 250fps. Worst of all the BH i use that flew and had same POI as my FPs are now hitting 4 inches lower WTF????

Has anyone had the same problem? any solutions? bow shop is closed till tuesday so im not shooting until then.
Is your draw weight the same as before the new string? Is your ATA the same as before? There are lots of things to check. What about your peep location is it the same? The best thing you can do is get the pro shop to check everything out and make sure you document everything when your done, so it doesn't happen again. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:38 PM

since you had to drop ALL of your pins, did the spacing stay the same? Or did the 20 & 50 get further apart?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
since you had to drop ALL of your pins, did the spacing stay the same? Or did the 20 & 50 get further apart?
dropped the sight first to get the 20 back on then had to drop each individual pin about twice the gap between my 40 and 50 then before i changed
Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 PM

So you didn't measure the pin gap between 20 & 50 to start?

Go over everything that WCT mentions, if you didn't right everything down you'll only be able to work on getting the bow bace to factory specs. Also, does the new string have a lot more strands?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
So you didn't measure the pin gap between 20 & 50 to start?

Go over everything that WCT mentions, if you didn't right everything down you'll only be able to work on getting the bow bace to factory specs. Also, does the new string have a lot more strands?
Dont really need to measure my pin gap i use diagram my sight came with and match it with diagram that has the closest shooting speed then fine tuned from there.

not sure if the new string and cable has more strands or not.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Is the new string exactly the same length as the old string? Sometimes strings vary a bit in length and that will influence speed.

Is the peepsight (provided you use one) and the nock point exactly on the same place as on the old string? If the peep and nock point are higher or lower it will affect point of impact.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 PM

everything seems to be the same, i never changed my string or cable had my local bow shop do it and everything seemed to be placed in the same spot, my nock point was alittle off but that was fixed paper tuning. Peep was measured from old string and placed as measured on the new.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 AM

So has the Pin Gap changed or not?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
So has the Pin Gap changed or not?
Yes the pin gaps have changed...
Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I would almost bet that the power cable is not twisted up to specs on the bow there fore bringin down the poundage

did you have speed beads on the old string?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
okay, so is the draw weight still the same? Did the dealer turn the bow down before pressing (as per manufacturers instructions) and simply forget to turn it back up again?

Did you mark an arrow for checking draw length? If so, is it the same as before?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
okay, so is the draw weight still the same? Did the dealer turn the bow down before pressing (as per manufacturers instructions) and simply forget to turn it back up again?

Did you mark an arrow for checking draw length? If so, is it the same as before?
poundage is the same, never marked an arrow, or checked draw length feels the same as before. I'm having the bow looked and and hopefully figured out tomrrow no point in telling me if iv check the 10000 of things you guys "think" or "could be" wrong. I appricieate the feed back though
Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM

any solutions? no point in telling me if iv check the 10000 of things you guys "think" or could be" wrong

Then why ask if you dont want 10000 different ideas
Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'm having the bow looked and and hopefully figured out tomrrow no point in telling me if iv check the 10000 of things you guys "think" or "could be" wrong. I appricieate the feed back though
That's what I do too. If something is wrong with the bow I bring it to my Pro-Archery-Shop and let them fuss over it. That way I have somebody other than me to blame if something does go wrong.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM

I had something similar happen to me. I put on a new string and had similar problems. Long story short, in the end my new string was puttin out a little more than my older stretched out one and cause my arrow to bend more than before and this cause minor fletching contact with my rest ( very close tolerances ). I ended up having to shoot cock feather out to clear everything clean and re-paper tune. Oddly enough even with the minor contact I was danm near shooting bullet holes through paper, but when broadheads were introduced into the equation that minor contact caused contact on the bottom of the fletching pushing the back end of the arrow slightly up. With filed point it wasn't a problem cause the fletching would recover and stabilize the arrow quikly but with broadheads they would tend to steer in the lower inpact direction. Anyway try shooting with the cock feather in a different position ( up, down, out ) and see if POI is the same for braodheads and field points. If that doesn't work try "broadhead tuning" ( it works ). To do this you shoot a group of 3 field points and mark where the group is, now shoot a group of 3 broadheads and mark where they hit. if they are low move either you nock down or your rest up, if high, reverse what was just said. Move in small increments and shoot after every adjustment 3 field points and 3 broadheads, keep making small adjustments until POI is the same or very close to the same. This method is actually how I found out that I had minor fletching contact, If i hadn't done this I would have been pulling my hair out for days....Just my 2 cents or maybe a little more....
Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico7mm View Post
Long story short, in the end my new string was puttin out a little more than my older stretched out one
draw weight & length increases as a string elongates & ages. That's why you should shoot them for a couple 100 shots when they're new and then recheck the tune.

next post is going to be the guy that says he doesn't need to re-tune
Old 08-14-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
next post is going to be the guy that says he doesn't need to re-tune
I don't need to re-tune...Sorry I couldn't resist...