Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-19-2023, 01:34 PM

Default Where are the Fall Whitefish Posts???

It is that time of year again, but the board is completely quiet on fall whitefish???

My Neighbours at Calling are starting to net, and are starting to get some fish. I expect that alot of the lakes are still a bit too warm to get the whitefish into the shallows for the fall spawning.

All the same, anyone know how Sylvan is fishing this fall?

Drewski
Old 10-19-2023, 02:47 PM

Have not really found large numbers of schooled up whitefish up in the shallows. Still finding them out in the deeper basins. Females are getting round and hefty though with their eggs wont be too long from now.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:25 PM

I think its a weird year. Just spent a bunch of time in saskie fishing hard very little whitefish activity, on glass calm lakes. The perch of all things have been the most consistent this fall. The minnows are gone from shallows, steady winds from south and east, its like the lakes have turned over except for the whitefish.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:04 PM

Do they typically go for wireworms in the fall or is there a better fly or lure to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2023, 09:54 AM

Wabamun Lake whitefish is spawning

Old 10-21-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Do they typically go for wireworms in the fall or is there a better fly or lure to use?

For me always wireworms

Old 10-28-2023, 07:32 AM
AO Sponsor

A friend has a brother in law here from India, I thot maybe I’d take the guy fishing. So now that it’s about whitefish time, on an irrigation reservoir, do I just go hit the water inlet to find them even tho the water is all shut off?

I don’t want to eat them, they’d still taste like algae, everything would in the BRID for some time yet.

We still have open water at the moment, so sure fire tips please?
Old 10-28-2023, 09:20 AM

slip bobber with a few split shots then a wire worm.

ORRR my favorite, a slip bobber with a kastmaster. Cast it out, pull hard and long, let the kastmaster flutter down, and let it sit, then repeat until you have it beside the boat. Then just jig a few times before bringing it up from
the bottom.

Drewski
Old 10-30-2023, 09:06 AM

In this day and age, why is harvesting a sport fish during their spawning season a sound management strategy?

It’s legal so it’s the government’s responsibility to change this error.

I’ve heard people saying there is a decline in whitefish numbers. Maybe this is a reason?

In my opinion… zero fish should be allowed to be harvested during spawning. Their eggs are the next generation of catchable fish.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-30-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
In this day and age, why is harvesting a sport fish during their spawning season a sound management strategy?

It’s legal so it’s the government’s responsibility to change this error.

I’ve heard people saying there is a decline in whitefish numbers. Maybe this is a reason?

In my opinion… zero fish should be allowed to be harvested during spawning. Their eggs are the next generation of catchable fish.
Makes about as much sense as harvesting 63+ cm pike or 50cm walleies right when they reach spawning size .
Old 10-30-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Makes about as much sense as harvesting 63+ cm pike or 50cm walleies right when they reach spawning size .
Past harvest of mountain whitefish, burbot and others during spawning times has raised some eyebrows.

Not protecting lake whitefish so they can spawn. Continues to be a major oversight especially since the harvest stays high at 10.

Interesting it looks like Sylvan regs allow for whitefish protection. Wabamun does not. OPEN MAY 15 TO MAR 31.

Not sure if Sylvan was specifically done to protect whitefish. OPEN MAY 15 TO OCT 31 AND DEC 11 to MAR 31.

No lakes in PP 1 appear to have regs that could protect whitefish spawning. Looks like to help burbot maybe at Mcgregor and Crawling.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-30-2023, 03:07 PM

I think a couple of guys harvesting 10 LWs during the spawn is a drop in the bucket compared to the square hooks that gets set during peak spawn. I think those will have more of an impact.
Old 10-30-2023, 03:10 PM

Lake whitefish are very prolific. Alot of our lakes had 100,000 kilo limits for the commercial fishing when that was still on the go.

The Commercial netters would get a fraction of the whitefish allotment as the by catch from walleye at 2500 Kilo would be hit very quickly.

Lake Whites can take the pressure as they are so hard to catch during the open water months especially the northern lakes.

Now they are vulnerable, and this is the best odds of success, even if they are spawning.

Drewski
Old 10-30-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Lake whitefish are very prolific. Alot of our lakes had 100,000 kilo limits for the commercial fishing when that was still on the go.

The Commercial netters would get a fraction of the whitefish allotment as the by catch from walleye at 2500 Kilo would be hit very quickly.

Lake Whites can take the pressure as they are so hard to catch during the open water months especially the northern lakes.

Now they are vulnerable, and this is the best odds of success, even if they are spawning.

Drewski
I dont think he is referring to the wormy ones in the northern lakes. Even snipe lake has had a couple bad summer kills and the whites could use some protection
Old 10-31-2023, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I dont think he is referring to the wormy ones in the northern lakes. Even snipe lake has had a couple bad summer kills and the whites could use some protection
Not sure of the limits but a lot of southern reservoirs had a commercial fishery on them as well. To be honest oddly enough I have seen more people fishing for whitefish on sylvan, gull and pigeon than I have seen at all the other southern lakes combined in fact even ice fishing rarely do I see people target whites on the reservoirs
Old 10-31-2023, 12:51 PM

Most southern reservoirs are practically filled to the brim with whitefish. It may be foolish to say but some of the larger reservoirs could probably take upon the burden of a 15 fish limit and not be too affected. Not saying that a 15 fish limit should be installed of course.

To add onto what slough shark said the majority of whitefish pressure we see lies in those 3 lakes (pigeon gull sylvan). When I am targeting whites through the ice on Newell of cvr or any southern res, rarely do I see another angler targeting whitefish, yet I'd argue that just one of these reservoirs could have more whitefish than gull and sylvan combined.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Even if there is a bad summer kill on whites as alleged, they spring back very quickly, and DO NOT NEED some protection.

The whites use the same forage base as the Perch, the minnows, the juvenile walleye, pike, etc.

You can see a benefit for other fish in the lake if there is more forage base left by the removal of some whitefish.

Drewski
Old 11-01-2023, 10:26 AM

Default Sylvan Lake Whitefish

I emailed Jason Cooper, Senior Fisheries Biologist, in early October about Sylvan Lake Whitefish limits and netting.

He responded right away and stated that even with many anglers targeting Whitefish at Sylvan vs other lakes, the population is very healthy. Had 20+ Whitefish per net in the 2020 netting survey and I guess it was recently netted Fall 2023. The results have not been released but he says the nets have even more Whitefish than in 2020.

Just like other commenters, when talking to other anglers on the ice, the only lakes that I have run into others targeting Whitefish have been Sylvan , Gull and Pigeon.

I have done fairly well in the Whitefish department at Sylvan, but looking to try out Crawling Valley ( still need to fill Walleye tags here) and Mcgregor to mix it up. Started to target Whitefish during ice fishing season 2021-22 and really enjoy it.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:58 AM

its no secret that the whitefish population of pigeon lake was depleted by all the over population of walleye over several years . it used to produce millions of 2-3 lb whites. before the walleye removed most of the whitefish fry. since that the food source for the whites has exploded allowing the whites that survived to grow very fast and to huge size . they are hard to catch but once you catch one you are hooked on chasing them . they are the biggest fish in the lake now topping out over 10 lbs. the average is around 6 lb . good luck finding and catching them. brib on safe ice.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:01 PM

Default Sylvan

anybody know if you can launch at sun breaker would like to get out one more time thankyou in advance
Old 11-02-2023, 02:49 PM

This is where Zip had all the great input. Miss him on here.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
its no secret that the whitefish population of pigeon lake was depleted by all the over population of walleye over several years . it used to produce millions of 2-3 lb whites. before the walleye removed most of the whitefish fry. since that the food source for the whites has exploded allowing the whites that survived to grow very fast and to huge size . they are hard to catch but once you catch one you are hooked on chasing them . they are the biggest fish in the lake now topping out over 10 lbs. the average is around 6 lb . good luck finding and catching them. brib on safe ice.
Before the massive predator stocking of walleye in Pigeon, the commercial netting production was insane, but the whitefish where not 3 pounds. It was nothing to get 60 - 80 whites on an overnight set and there were hundreds upon hundreds of nets set on the commercial opening and the netting ran for 10 days.

That kind of netting pressure really made no difference on the whitefish population in Pigeon. Recreational anglers still did very well ice fishing, even between the rows of nets.

Story is that there was an introduction of South Buck Lake whitefish (Jumbo Whites) into Pigeon to see if overall size would improve. Apparently it has.

Drewski
Old 11-02-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
anybody know if you can launch at sun breaker would like to get out one more time thankyou in advance
Hopefully not get out to fish! Been closed for a couple days now…
Old 11-03-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seli View Post
I emailed Jason Cooper, Senior Fisheries Biologist, in early October about Sylvan Lake Whitefish limits and netting.

He responded right away and stated that even with many anglers targeting Whitefish at Sylvan vs other lakes, the population is very healthy. Had 20+ Whitefish per net in the 2020 netting survey and I guess it was recently netted Fall 2023. The results have not been released but he says the nets have even more Whitefish than in 2020.

Just like other commenters, when talking to other anglers on the ice, the only lakes that I have run into others targeting Whitefish have been Sylvan , Gull and Pigeon.

I have done fairly well in the Whitefish department at Sylvan, but looking to try out Crawling Valley ( still need to fill Walleye tags here) and Mcgregor to mix it up. Started to target Whitefish during ice fishing season 2021-22 and really enjoy it.
The lakes around Brooks get absolutely hammered by the Temp Foreign Workers. Those guys don't fool around, everything that can will go home.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-03-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Could not be more incorrect. Massive summer kills did the Whitefish population in at Pigeon Lake.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Before the massive predator stocking of walleye in Pigeon, the commercial netting production was insane, but the whitefish where not 3 pounds.

Drewski
What was the avg lbs before the stocking?
Old 11-06-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
What was the avg lbs before the stocking?
do not believe whites were stocked .just lower numbers of whites allowed the shrimp population to explode ,and the whites that survived the walleye preditation to be big enough for the walleye not eat them ,they grow extremely fast . they are stuffed so full of shrimp you ask yourself why they bite a hook at all. before the walleye population boom the whites were 1-3 pounds.
now you can catch them 1- to over 10 lbs . the only good thing about the over population of walleye. is jumbo whites now .
Old 11-06-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Could not be more incorrect. Massive summer kills did the Whitefish population in at Pigeon Lake.
only the big whitefish died in the summer kills .
never seen one dead white this summer , which was great to not see. not like a few years ago where my shore line was full of dead whites every day for weeks.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
do not believe whites were stocked .just lower numbers of whites allowed the shrimp population to explode ,and the whites that survived the walleye preditation to be big enough for the walleye not eat them ,they grow extremely fast . they are stuffed so full of shrimp you ask yourself why they bite a hook at all. before the walleye population boom the whites were 1-3 pounds.
now you can catch them 1- to over 10 lbs . the only good thing about the over population of walleye. is jumbo whites now .
Was Wabamun and LSA the same story? Because they all have jumbos in them too and I believe both had walleye introductions in the not so distant past.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:40 PM

Lac St. Anne always had walleye. There was supplemental stocking in the 1980s when the population dropped for the walleye, but the whites were always there, and some went to 5 pounds.

Wabamun had good size whites throughout the 1980s onwards with many in the 3 - 4 pd range. Now they are much bigger.

As for Pigeon, it truly was stunted with Whites before the walleye introduction, or more so re introduction. Commercial netters in the 1970's and 1980's did get the odd walleye in the nets, but very very few.

On a summer kill, the reason you see so many big whites on the beach is that they need more oxygen than the small fish. When the algae bloom happens and sucks up all the oxygen in the shallows, the small ones can get back to deeper water where the bigger ones simply die before getting back to safety in the deeper water.

Drewski