Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-15-2023, 06:51 PM

Default Lithium batteries for trolling motor?

Good evening guys, I haven’t done much research yet and figured I’d kinda start here. I’m toying with the idea of replacing my trolling motor batteries with a lithium equivalent. Can anyone comment on the luck they’ve had with Alberta Lithium? How about Dakota Lithium? Good or bad I’d like to hear guys.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:59 PM

Fishing guide I know changed everything in his guiding boats to Dakota lithium last summer. He loves them and would never go back. Was trying to get me to switch. Definitely $$$ but the weight savings and extra capacity is the reward. Oh and a tax deduction since he got them for work….
Old 11-16-2023, 08:14 AM

I bit the bullet and went with the Alberta Lithium Extreme series 12V 100ah batteries last spring.

Going to Lithium is one of the best upgrades I've ever done.

I took almost 100lbs out of the bow of my boat, and what was once an incredible chore - getting the batteries in and out of the battery box at year end - is now quick and painless. They're so small and light in comparison it's hard to believe.

The performance difference, even compared to top of line Odyssey AGM batteries, is incredible. I easily get twice the run time, especially at higher amp draws, and there's no lag or slow down as the day goes on, I have the same power after 10 hrs as I did at the start of the day. I've put 10 hr days on a 36V Ulterra, pulling crankbaits at 1.5-2mph, which is 5-8 out of 10 on the power depending on wind and speed, and I've still had 30% battery life at the end of the day. My AGMs would be really slowing down by the 6-7 hr mark under the same conditions, and wouldn't make it to 10 hrs. Never worrying about battery life and not having to run the kicker all day is AWESOME...

The other major advantage is how fast they recharge. No more panicking about getting the boat plugged in ASAP so it can charge all night and hoping that I'm close to 100% by morning. The lithiums, even when drawn down to 30-40%, are good to go in 3-5hrs.

The battery heating and Bluetooth connection you get with the Extreme series are well worth the extra cash. The real time Bluetooth display of each battery's state of charge and remaining run time/charge time is so sweet, I love that feature.

They're not cheap, but there's no doubt that the lithium technology is WAY better. I've got nothing but good things to say about Alberta Lithium too, they're awesome to deal with and the batteries themselves are excellent. The switch to lithium is totally worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:19 AM

For those that have an interest in Lifepo4 batteries, here is one at a smoking price. I cannot speak to quality or longevity of this product.

https://ca.aolithium.com/products/12...ifepo4-battery

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-16-2023, 08:37 AM

If anyone is looking for (2) 12V 100AH LifePo4, I have two brand new ones in box for sale. Shoot me a message if your interested. Was gonna post them on marketplace this weekend.

They are Eco-Worthy brand, currently running 3 in my boat, have been amazing all season. Well worth the upgrade, as mentioned above.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:51 AM

I went with Prairie Battery Lithiums out of Edmonton due to no stock at AB lithium when I was looking.

Bought 2 for my 24v system and 3 for a buddies 36v and we were both super happy with them.

I sold my boat and am going to go with a big single 36v Lithium to save space as the new boat is very short bowed being a jet boat.

Lithium is very worth while IMO.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the help guys, this is what i wanted to hear. Thanks for the real life dumbed down comments Walleyedude, that was awesome to read.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:57 PM

I replaced my lead acids this summer with Canbat Lithiums. I bought a pair of 50AH 12V for $1000 shipped to my door for both and both have bluetooth chips that you can monitor them with through an app on your phone. The best feature imo though aside from about 2000 more charges available than lead acid and no drop in power as the day goes on is I ended up with a whopping 104 pound weight saving! Each battery is under 14lbs! Also they take up half the space in my battery box.

https://www.canbat.com/
Old 11-16-2023, 04:01 PM

Thanks Frank! I'll check em out for sure.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:34 PM

I have Alberta lithium batteries

Love mine get 10ths plus 55pound mini kota

Old Guy need lighter battery’s

David
Old 11-17-2023, 07:30 AM

Default canoe setup

Clearly people are talking about boats but on the off chance someone with a canoe will read this, I will share my experience.

I have a 14' Al3+ square stern Sportspal. I used to run a Pb acid battery for my 30lb trolling motor. It was very heavy and required a decent amount of ballast in the bow. Two experiences of having to paddle back to shore against wind was what I needed to explore Li+ batteries.
I have a 54Ah Dakota and a 100Ah Alberta battery. I have not had an issue with either battery and no more worries about enough juice to get back to shore. Less ballast is needed as well.

I do not use both batteries but started out with the 54Ah Dakota but upgraded to the 100Ah Alberta this year to allow for more exploration of the lake if certain sports were not producing.

Whatever your set up, you can not go wrong with Li+.

Father in law just bought at used boat and I am sure a couple more Li battery purchases are in my future.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:02 AM

I run Dakota Lithium's throughout my boat and they are great. Can go all day in tough weather and not worry about battery life.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:32 AM

How many of you guys are running lithiums for starting and house batteries also?

Any issues?
Old 11-17-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
How many of you guys are running lithiums for starting and house batteries also?

Any issues?
After making several inquiries with both Alberta Lithium, and fairly high up the chain with Mercury, to see if I could make the switch to lithium for my starting and house batteries - unfortunately, the answer was NO. Or at least, not without significant added expense and potential risk.

The electrical system that Mercury uses in their outboards to boost charging voltage and amperage at low rpms is not compatible with the BMS built into the Alberta Lithium batteries, or 95% of the lithiums out there anyway. Mercury changed this system in late 2022, around the same time that Brunswick bought a major lithium battery company (go figure), and I have been told that Mercury outboards are now compatible with most lithium starting batteries, as long as the BMS meets a couple of key criteria.

I run a 5 battery system, starting, house, and three batteries for the trolling motors. The starting and house batteries are connected via a combiner/isolator as part of the Mercury power steering setup, and as a fail safe for starting. I was going to leave the starting battery as an AGM per Mercury's requirements and add a 100ah lithium as my house battery, but Alberta Lithium strongly advised against mixing battery types when connected in that type of a system. They have a possible solution, some type of complex electrical gadget (I won't pretend to understand the details) that would act as a buffer and fail safe - in theory - but it was very pricey, largely unproven, and frowned up by Mercury.

If I'm ever in the situation where it's possible, I will 100% be running lithium for my starting and house batteries, but for now, it's not an option.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:22 PM

My setup is similar. I have AGM starting and house batteries and 2 lithiums for my trolling motor. The AGMs are connected through a relay which isolates the starting battery until the key is turned on the main motor. My 9.9 charges the house battery but is not connected to the starting battery. When I turn the key both AGMs are connected to start the engine and its alternator charges them both. Eventually I will change the starting and house batteries to lithium but I have too many good batteries to just throw them away. Changing to lithium would certainly help both hole shot and my back.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:40 AM

https://ca.eco-worthy.com/products/l...E1ssHrEc0vlTN8

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-19-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I replaced my lead acids this summer with Canbat Lithiums. I bought a pair of 50AH 12V for $1000 shipped to my door for both and both have bluetooth chips that you can monitor them with through an app on your phone. The best feature imo though aside from about 2000 more charges available than lead acid and no drop in power as the day goes on is I ended up with a whopping 104 pound weight saving! Each battery is under 14lbs! Also they take up half the space in my battery box.

https://www.canbat.com/
I just wrestled my 2 AGM batteries out and took them to the garage for the winter. Those beasts are heavy! When they die I definitely want to switch.
14 lbs is awesome
Old 11-19-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
I just wrestled my 2 AGM batteries out and took them to the garage for the winter. Those beasts are heavy! When they die I definitely want to switch.
14 lbs is awesome
Same. I have two very heavy AGMs for only 2 years yet. Once they get old enough I'll switch. ..... but isn't it tempting now
Old 11-19-2023, 09:00 PM

Default Charger upgrade with lithium

For those who upgraded to lithium, did you upgrade your onboard charger as well?

I have a guest 25 amp 3 bank (10-10-5) on board charger.

I'm looking to upgrade to lithium, but get mixed reports on the need to upgrade the onboard. I understand that it will charge them but not to 100%. Wondering about real world experience.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2023, 12:09 PM

I upgraded boats this year but kept my 36v trolling motor, so I decided this was the perfect time to make the change. I wanted to go with Amped Outdoors, but at the time they didn't have the 36v batteries available. I ended up going with the Dakota 36v 60ah battery. I'm happy with it. Comparable run time to the three 29 series lead acid batteries. 2/3 of the size and about 1/3 of the weight. Based on my battery purchase history after the last 10 years, I believe if the Dakota lasts half of what they rate it for then I will at least break even on the extra expense. But still happy I shed the weight, it offsets the kicker I have installed. But next time I would like to go Amped as they are much smaller physically than the Dakota battery.

My one intended upgrade this winter is to get a bluetooth battery monitor. Because of the way lithium batteries work the battery indicator on the trolling motor will show full charge until the battery will no longer power the motor.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:38 PM

I started using my existing charger but had a problem in northern Sask where one lithium went dead. I had to buy a battery to replace it but the local dealer only carried AGMs. This got me through that trip and I then sent the dead lithium for warranty replacement. I was informed that it had been run down to where the BMS shut it down. They charged it back up and returned it to me. Two times $50 UPS charge convinced me to change out the charger to one which has a lithium setting.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I ended up going with the Dakota 36v 60ah battery.
Have you worked this setup much? Im curious on real world run times. I was considering this route but if I end up having to add another 60ah dakota down the road I might as well pony up now and just order the epoch 100ah and be done with it.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
For those who upgraded to lithium, did you upgrade your onboard charger as well?

I have a guest 25 amp 3 bank (10-10-5) on board charger.

I'm looking to upgrade to lithium, but get mixed reports on the need to upgrade the onboard. I understand that it will charge them but not to 100%. Wondering about real world experience.

Thanks!
If your current charger has an "AGM" setting, you might be OK, but the charge curve and any kind of balancing or desulphation stage used by lead acid chargers is NOT compatible with lithiums. I would suspect that your amperage ratings might not be sufficient as well. The lithiums are picky about volts vs amps, and the rate the two are applied at.

I would ALWAYS check with your specific lithium battery manufacturer before I would purchase a charger or use your existing charger to make sure it meets their specifications.

I've got Minnkota MK230PCL and MK345PC chargers on my boat. The MK230PCL has a specific lithium setting, the "L" in the modelnumber, but unfortunately, that's the one that charges my AGM starting and house batteries. The 345PC that charges my trolling motor batteries does not have a lithium setting, but after checking with Alberta Lithium, they advised me that the MK345PC, used on the AGM setting only, is compatible with their charging requirements for the voltage, amperage, and charging curve. It has worked flawlessly so far to quickly and fully charge my lithium batteries.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Have you worked this setup much? Im curious on real world run times. I was considering this route but if I end up having to add another 60ah dakota down the road I might as well pony up now and just order the epoch 100ah and be done with it.
I have to correct my last post, my battery is actually the older 63ah, which is physically larger than the new 60ah.

I've run it totally out of juice 4 times this year. Depending on conditions and how long I'm out I get 2 to 3 days out of it trolling at about 1.2-1.4mph. That is pretty much what I got out of the motor with AC Delco Voyager 29 series in my old boat. Old boat was a 1650 Fish Hawk and the new boat is a 1850 Super Hawk, so I'm pushing a bit more weight around. I'd say the lithium is performing as good or better, and should be more cost effective over the life of the battery.

I was tempted to go 100ah or a couple 63ah, but elected to add a kicker instead as there are times I'm without electrical service for a week or more.