Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
TundraBuck

Hey Rackmastr 328 is an option but there are a lot of road hunters. 339 is a good bet, opens in September plus it is a general mule deer buck and you can fill all 3 whitetail tags up there. Like someone said about the "out east" is where you find massive moose and mule deer this is true. I took a 204 mule deer buck in 208 last season and a 51" moose in 220 2 years ago.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Tundra,
Ya I'm well aware of the 'out east' zones producing big bulls. Plenty of big guys around out there for sure, but I have to find something that my wife can draw with a P4......
But ya....lots of ideas being tossed around at least...much appreciated! I know what you mean about road hunters and 328....
Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 PM

There are actually a few 'parkland' areas that only require a 4 to draw...some of them just north of Wainwright, and others mixed around here and there. I might toss a few ideas around, but would prefer something with some good crown land for a hunt...

Definatly know of some hogs out in the parkland zones though for a guy with higher priority lookin for a trophy bull. My wife would be happy with a spiker next year and a good trip!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 PM
TundraBuck

Yeah, it's brutal, it's because it is A sunday zone and it gets pounded along with 429. Anywhere in the 320s or 330s holds good numbers of moose and it takes a lower priority. Seriously consider 339, because there are a lot of options plus you get 2 and a half months to hunt instead of 1 month.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
jrs

I'd say 340 would be a good bet. I was extremely sorry i went out to 438 instead of 340 last fall. During my moose hunt i had to run into 340 for a small work project and saw six moose in an hour drive down some lease roads, all cows but being as it was mid afternoon it seemed like lots. Lots of deer, few elk, few bears in there as well. And general mulie, doubt you'd find one worth shooting but you never know. I could get you some mappage and what not, point you towards some nice areas to camp. I'll be off somewhere looking for a antelope for my big hunt next year so the moose are all yours
Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 PM

Hey Rack, don't be forgettin about the good 'ol "Q"-tip road. Sure there are still a few running around there, and we haven't had a pile of snow this year, not like last year.
Years ago, I used to see a ton of moose in 339, if ya'll decide on there, I can give ya a few areas to sniff around.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Ya Brady....me and that road had some bad/good luck last year...haha...

Thanks for the reminder though...always an option. I'll look into 339 as well....
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Rocky area a good bet. I believe you know a landowner with some potential. There are good numbers and if size does not matter this could be a hunt as easy or as hard as you like, there are a few areas with very high densities and permission not to difficult to get. I am in the same situation, P9 but want a trophy. The wife puts Moose in the freezer thankfully.