Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Default Switching from Shaw to Telus - how to keep email?

We will likely be moving over to Telus from Shaw given their lower prices and first year incentives, and that Telus now has 4K TV in our area whereas Shaw does not.

We'd also like to be able to keep our xxxxxxxx@shaw.ca email somehow, or at least have a forwarding function for a few months. Has anyone done this?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:32 PM

iCloud. Create new account.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
iCloud. Create new account.
Not with the Shaw domain you cannot.....
Old 10-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Banned

Find someone with a shaw account and link your email to it. I think you can run 4-5 email accounts under one shaw account. I switched to Telus and still have my shaw email under my parents account
Old 10-25-2017, 08:41 PM

Switch to a gmail account. Lots of great features and it will no longer matter who your ISP is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 09:07 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Almost everyone I know who switched to Telus, switches back to Shaw after a little while.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Almost everyone I know who switched to Telus, switches back to Shaw after a little while.
x2
With shaw you get pretty much uninterrupted service. With telus your calling for their repairman every other day. Telus uses the telephone lines in your house, not coaxial cable, this is a disaster, as they have noway to stop the noise interference.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
x2
With shaw you get pretty much uninterrupted service. With telus your calling for their repairman every other day. Telus uses the telephone lines in your house, not coaxial cable, this is a disaster, as they have noway to stop the noise interference.
After 2-1/2 years with Telus, we haven't suffered hardly any downtime, certainly no more than we had with Shaw.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Find someone with a shaw account and link your email to it. I think you can run 4-5 email accounts under one shaw account. I switched to Telus and still have my shaw email under my parents account
That's what we had to do. Got a Gmail account after that. Forwarded my Shaw account to Gmail for a bit till everyone started using my Gmail account.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:21 AM

Why would you leave Shaw? Best customer service Ive ever had. The complete opposite of Telus. Ill pay a bit more for good service.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Why would you leave Shaw? Best customer service Ive ever had. The complete opposite of Telus. Ill pay a bit more for good service.
Shaw was not available in the location that we moved to.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
x2
Completely depends on the type of service. Fibre does not use phone lines in the house, but adsl does. Telus and Shaw offer different types of high speed service. Shaw’s is shared between everyone, Telus is not shared.

To help answer the OP though, call Shaw. I have had several customers call them and then just pay $5 a month to keep email through Shaw. If you still have another service with them then they usually have no issue dong this. If you cancel services with them completely then it will completely depend on the person you talk to on the phone. However they should still allow you to keep your email for a cost.

If your not planning to swap right away, as previously posted above your best option is to create another email account and then forward the Shaw email to it, and make sure to send out a mass email to those you want to change the email with telling them of the new address.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Telus just upgraded to fibre optic in our area and their regular package price for internet, TV, and Home Phone is $18/month cheaper than Shaw. And the first year reduced rate incentive makes it $70 cheaper. Also, Telus now offers 4K TV whereas Shaw is still 2-3 years out on that where we are. I went to a buddies house and watched a baseball game in 4K - and was really impressed. That's what started me on the quest to upgrade my 9 year old LCD TV. Now that we've the the big 4K TV, it would be nice to maximize it's utility.

Anyone else using Telus for 4K content?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 AM

When I moved into a temporary accommodation that had all utilities included, I disconnected my Telus account. I called Telus and was able to keep me email account active for $7/month. I chose to go this route as I knew it was likely I'd be reconnecting Telus services again in the next place.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
We will likely be moving over to Telus from Shaw given their lower prices and first year incentives, and that Telus now has 4K TV in our area whereas Shaw does not.

We'd also like to be able to keep our xxxxxxxx@shaw.ca email somehow, or at least have a forwarding function for a few months. Has anyone done this?
I just started getting Shaw service after a long time with Telus. I have similar questions and Telus is no help at all
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM

So far on Telus for 3 months. Services okay. Still have not decided if I am better/worse off.