Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Using 2 Home Theatre receivers with one set of speakers

I just set up my new Panasonic 4K TV - and it was great watching the Oilers game last night in 720p HD on that set! Now I'm really looking forward to watching 4K sports content! 4K Netflix is amazing.

I also bought a 4K receiver (Pioneer VSX-532) to pair with it. It's a pretty decent receiver, but doesn't have component or composite connections - only HDMI. I would like to keep my 5 year old Harmon Kardon receiver because it has those connections plus HDMI (just not 4K HDMI).

The TV has 4 HDMI inputs so I thought of connecting each receiver to it with separate HDMI cables, so then we can still watch content like home movies with the VCR and Nintendo Wii with composite, and use the new receiver to get 4K content as more options come online.

My question is: is there anyway to use my 5.1 speaker set up with both receivers? The speakers are currently wired to the Harmon Kardon. Or, will I have to get something like a sound bar to use with the other receiver?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Buy converters/adapters for component / composite to HDMI and ditch the old receiver?

Check out prime cables, Canadian company - likely has what you are looking for.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Just checked out the specs for the receiver you bought ... if it is Pioneer VSX-532 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver ... according to the specs it has

Inputs
4 x HDMI
2 x composite video
3 x stereo RCA audio
1 x digital coaxial
1 x optical TOSLINK
Outputs
1 x HDMI
1 x composite video
1 x subwoofer pre-out
1 x 1/4" (6.35 mm) headphone (front)

so you shouldn't need the old receiver or adapters
Old 10-27-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Just checked out the specs for the receiver you bought ... if it is Pioneer VSX-532 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver ... according to the specs it has

Inputs
4 x HDMI
2 x composite video
3 x stereo RCA audio
1 x digital coaxial
1 x optical TOSLINK
Outputs
1 x HDMI
1 x composite video
1 x subwoofer pre-out
1 x 1/4" (6.35 mm) headphone (front)

so you shouldn't need the old receiver or adapters

Thanks for that! I haven't opened the box yet, or really looked into it much - I just went by the guy at the store telling me it doesn't have those connections anymore. Bonus! He also sold it to me for $268 and I see that it retails for $379 on their website - I wonder if he confused what receiver he was trying to sell me. Either way, the reviews on it look very good.

Anyone want to buy a gently used Harmon Kardon AVR 1650 Home Theatre receiver? https://www.crutchfield.com/S-HS89XS...-AVR-1650.html
Old 10-27-2017, 01:59 PM

For the price you paid for that receiver ... couple hundred more would get you into dolby atmos / dts x ... they are amazing. If your into that stuff.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
For the price you paid for that receiver ... couple hundred more would get you into dolby atmos / dts x ... they are amazing. If your into that stuff.
Yeah, this may come down the road. My audio set-up can be described as "mediocre". I have Harmon Kardon/JBL in-wall speakers and a medium end subwoofer. My man cave is actually a "man loft" with pool table, vaulted ceilings and hard wood floors - so not exactly conducive to high end sound found in a dedicated home theatre room. It seems to fit the bill nicely for us and for our teens when they have friends over. Once the kids leave the nest - then I may get really serious

Thanks again for the intel on that receiver!
Old 10-27-2017, 03:47 PM

If you’re ever looking to upgrade speakers or buy another set the Fluance brand are really good for the price!

http://www.fluance.com