Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Amazon to build massive Balzac distribution centre this Spring

Maybe this will shave a day off my Amazon Prime orders

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...ibution-centre

That business park in the Balzac area seems to be attracting a lot of attention.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Maybe this will shave a day off my Amazon Prime orders

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...ibution-centre

That business park in the Balzac area seems to be attracting a lot of attention.
Thanks, Notley.

LOL!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:42 AM

Awesome!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 AM

That's good news
Old 10-26-2017, 02:23 PM

The location is great, right at the junction of the QE2 and the Stoney ring road plus the airport is right nearby. New commercial area with complete infrastructure and they could even keep some extra land in reserve for expansion.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:29 PM

Balsac distribution area lol.... good for a laugh. Every time I here the name I think of Jerry Forbes on cj92, the guy is hilarious.
Never ordered anything off amazon, good deals?
Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 PM

Default Sorry.

The first two words I saw was Massive Balzac.
Lost my train of thought after that.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:44 AM

Sign of the times,Hello Amazon, adios Sears.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Sign of the times,Hello Amazon, adios Sears.
Not saying it's not sad to see the "little" guys getting pushed out, but adapt or die. It a constantly changing world, and retailers like Sears and zellers and the like weren't able to evolve quick enough to remain competitive.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:22 AM

With the Sears aspect, it's almost odd that they didn't make such a transition for online shopping, it wasn't that far of a swing from their substantial catalog shopping that they'd been doing well at for decades. I guess old habits die hard (accidental pun, but I'm leaving it)
Old 10-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
With the Sears aspect, it's almost odd that they didn't make such a transition for online shopping, it wasn't that far of a swing from their substantial catalog shopping that they'd been doing well at for decades. I guess old habits die hard (accidental pun, but I'm leaving it)
Nothing like a good funny to ...start one's day :-) , got a real charge out of it
Old 10-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
For sure - Although, I think the online marketing philosophy that they used alienated prospective online shoppers - I know for a while there, when I was shopping for products from Sears, I found that they were directing to other fulfillment parties - It appeared to me that they were acting as a product broker/aggregator. When I am shopping at a store's site, I like to have confidence that I am dealing directly with that store before I initiate the payment process.

The other angle (and I think this could have helped Wholesale) is Amazon - When shopping for a product, if it's not fulfilled by Amazon, fulfillment from a trusted vendor is a good thing. Wholesale could have benefited from using Amazon as a channel, IMO. Even though the margins may have been lower, exposure within the Canadian market would have been greater. I would hazard a guess that there were many items rotting in their clearance section that they could have moved in that manner.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Not saying it's not sad to see the "little" guys getting pushed out, but adapt or die. It a constantly changing world, and retailers like Sears and zellers and the like weren't able to evolve quick enough to remain competitive.
And neither will all the mom and pop stores everywhere who don't have the resources or technological ability, marketing departments, finances to play in or adapt to a worldwide market. etc. More and more small retailers will be dropping off like flies in the future.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Default Lol

I heard on Global this morning the ground hog ( Balzac Billy ) is P'D right off !!

Last edited by Kodiak; 10-27-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 PM

^ Habitat loss?
Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
And neither will all the mom and pop stores everywhere who don't have the resources or technological ability, marketing departments, finances to play in or adapt to a worldwide market. etc. More and more small retailers will be dropping off like flies in the future.
They've been debating the merits of having Walmart come into the small city were I live. I've been listening to the debate, both local and provincially for some time. I can't remember were I heard it, but it was suggested that Walmart doesn't kill mom an pop stores with their prices or selection, its their hours and parking. I tend to believe it. Most of my shopping I do after work, alot of smaller shops close and 5 or 6, Walmart, for example, is usually open till 9. Alot of mom and pop stores are off the beaten path, were real estate is cheaper, Walmart is on the major thoroughfare and I pass by it everyday on the way home kind of thing. I know alot of people that despise Walmart and and extra few bucks for a pleasant shopping experience would be worthwhile, they just make it so easy.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I know for a while there, when I was shopping for products from Sears, I found that they were directing to other fulfillment parties - It appeared to me that they were acting as a product broker/aggregator. When I am shopping at a store's site, I like to have confidence that I am dealing directly with that store before I initiate the payment process.
Without fail, every single year, we'd get the Wishbook and my wife would order, well, attempt to order, an item that was back ordered/sold out/not currently available/etc. It wasn't an ordering on 20th December situation either, usually months before Christmas. Sad to see them go, but it shouldn't really come as a shock to anyone.

Walmart has seen the writing on the wall and has implemented home delivery, scan and go, and even robots in some stores on a trial basis. Sears changed the style of their catalog.