Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Banned

Default Gun of a killer?

Has anyone else had too much time on their hands, and started to think what their guns have seen? I wonder if my SKS has ever killed anyone during any of the wars, or a grease gun my friend has. How would it make you feel to know you own a murder accessory? Is there any way to really know?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:28 PM

If it was a duty weapon used by a military force I would t classify it as a murder accessory. Look up the definition of murder and you’ll see why I say that. Murder is a planned illegal killing. If I could have my rifles back that I carried in Iraq I’d do it in a heart beat. My grandfather now passed had a rifle he picked up off the battlefield of Okinawa. My uncle who was Army has it now and when he passes it will be passed to Me as 3rd generation Army . When I walk through the gun library at cabelas and I see old Japanese Italian German or Russian rifles I often wonder the same thing. The story those machines could tell. I don’t however fear them or feel awkward because of what they are. They are just inanimate objects used by someone.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
If it was a duty weapon used by a military force I would t classify it as a murder accessory. Look up the definition of murder and you’ll see why I say that. Murder is a planned illegal killing. If I could have my rifles back that I carried in Iraq I’d do it in a heart beat. My grandfather now passed had a rifle he picked up off the battlefield of Okinawa. My uncle who was Army has it now and when he passes it will be passed to Me as 3rd generation Army . When I walk through the gun library at cabelas and I see old Japanese Italian German or Russian rifles I often wonder the same thing. The story those machines could tell. I don’t however fear them or feel awkward because of what they are. They are just inanimate objects used by someone.
I see what you are saying. I have seen some cool guns I wish I was able to purchase, but unfortunately either too expensive or dont have the license for it. I guess it depends, either manslaughter or murder. But I assume some of the people in war had so much hate, they could be classified as "murderers". I can't really talk as I have never served in the army.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:08 PM

I agree, some wars are nothing more than sanctioned murder! However, many wars are fought to stop said murders! An AK-47 in the hands of isis, I would consider a murder weapon, but a Barrett .50 that opens up said Isis fighters chest? A tool of justice! IMO.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I see what you are saying. I have seen some cool guns I wish I was able to purchase, but unfortunately either too expensive or dont have the license for it. I guess it depends, either manslaughter or murder. But I assume some of the people in war had so much hate, they could be classified as "murderers". I can't really talk as I have never served in the army.
A soldiers passion in his duty to stop an enemy from destroying everything he cares about is not exactly "so much hate". A soldier is filled with passion of love for everything he is willing to go and possibly die for. If he is lucky enough to make it through and return, then hopefully people will give enough respect for the unforgettable things he had to go through to keep the softer things unharmed.

Maybe some firearms have seen battle, but they are just mindless tools. The right or wrong of the act remains within the heart of the user.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:01 PM

^^^^ Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 PM

I was stabbed several years ago and I am now the owner of that knife. I cant blame the knife for the actions of it's previous owner. I swear that knife hates me though because I always seem to cut myself when ever I remove it from the sheath.

I do know of a few rifles that made it back from WW2 with confirmed kills behind them. Its a cool reminder to see an Enfield with 7 swastika's and 1 SS sig rune carved into the stock.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-07-2018, 03:02 AM
Banned

I think the term murder shouldn't be used in reference to killing the enemy. Lee Marvin answered the same question in the movie "the Big Red One" when he was asked about murder by Mark Hammel's character. Lee's response was, "You dont murder the enemy, you kill them"
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
A soldiers passion in his duty to stop an enemy from destroying everything he cares about is not exactly "so much hate". A soldier is filled with passion of love for everything he is willing to go and possibly die for. If he is lucky enough to make it through and return, then hopefully people will give enough respect for the unforgettable things he had to go through to keep the softer things unharmed.

Maybe some firearms have seen battle, but they are just mindless tools. The right or wrong of the act remains within the heart of the user.
This...if I must say this thread don't look to well on the forum...my opinion.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This...if I must say this thread don't look to well on the forum...my opinion.
I agree a 100%. Troll thread
Old 03-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post

^this. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I agree a 100%. Troll thread
^wondered about this myself, then expected to see it as the OP's 1st or 2nd post. Hardly. Assuming it's not...

I've wondered the same thing, but the "M" word never entered my mind, nor will it. I do own a pocket watch a great uncle (according to the story) lifted from a German soldier in WW2. When I first got it, the story was that the he'd gotten it from a dead soldier, and it was suggested that my great uncle was the one that "got him". I don't carry it, nor do I have any plans to..but whenever I come accross it in my desk, I'm mindful of how it came to be in my family member's possession and I won't lie...it's a bit of a strange feeling.

So...same thing? Not really, but similar I guess. I've never looked at military surplus rifles and viewed them as anything but tools that brave men went into battle with, prepared to sacrifice everything. I feel a sense of admiration and appreciation to be totally honest.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:57 AM

Default tools of the trade

I would imagine many of the K98's,LE's and Mosin Nagants have been used as intended. SKS not likely unless a Korean or Vietnam bring back.Why would this matter?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
^this. Well said.

^wondered about this myself, then expected to see it as the OP's 1st or 2nd post. Hardly. Assuming it's not...

I've wondered the same thing, but the "M" word never entered my mind, nor will it. I do own a pocket watch a great uncle (according to the story) lifted from a German soldier in WW2. When I first got it, the story was that the he'd gotten it from a dead soldier, and it was suggested that my great uncle was the one that "got him". I don't carry it, nor do I have any plans to..but whenever I come accross it in my desk, I'm mindful of how it came to be in my family member's possession and I won't lie...it's a bit of a strange feeling.

So...same thing? Not really, but similar I guess. I've never looked at military surplus rifles and viewed them as anything but tools that brave men went into battle with, prepared to sacrifice everything. I feel a sense of admiration and appreciation to be totally honest.
I think it's different if you volunteered or went to fight for your country out of your own will, unlikely many other places that forced anyone 16 and over to go to war. Child soldiers for example don't go war to protect their family. They have no family to protect because they were murdered by the kidnappers.
What I am trying to say is that I, personally feel odd having an item in my possession that may have been used to kill someone, either by accident or on purpose, in the line of duty or not. Still took a persons life. Now there are people who collect such items, but I am not that person. Don't see why I need to be called a troll as soon as my personal opinion and belief is out of the ordinary.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

I often stop to ponder the question , when I'm eating a medium rare Steak at Mr Mikes Grill ,,,

" Has this Steak KNIFE been used in a Heinous Crime ",,,,Duhhh
Old 03-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Don't think about it to much

The Winchester Mystery House is a mansion in San Jose, California, that was once the personal residence of Sarah Winchester, the widow of firearm magnate William Wirt Winchester. Winchester came to believe her family and fortune were haunted by ghosts, and that only by moving West and continuously building them a house could she appease these spirits.[7][8]

Since its construction in 1884, the property and mansion were claimed by many to be haunted by the ghosts of those killed with Winchester rifles. Under Winchester's day-to-day guidance, its "from-the-ground-up" construction proceeded around the clock, by some accounts, without interruption, until her death on September 5, 1922, at which time work immediately ceased.[3] Sarah Winchester's biographer, however, claims that Winchester "routinely dismissed workers for months at a time 'to take such rest as I might'" and notes that "this flies in the face of claims by today's Mystery House proprietors that work at the ranch was ceaseless for thirty-eight years."[4]

It could drive you crazy
Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 AM

I think you have to much time on your hands
Old 03-07-2018, 10:22 AM

I think if you take a minute and do the math there isn't much to worry about. Think about how many firearms there were produced, how many soldiers there were, and how many died from bullet wounds, not counting those that died from disease and starvation. I would guess that one rifle in ten, twenty or even fifty may have taken a life. Undoubtedly some have taken several.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:22 AM

I have a few war relics kicking around.

SMLE Lithgow...........how it got to Canada don't know.

K98 has all Nazi markings...............how it got to Canada don' t know.

M1917 Remington..........US Army markings. How it got to Canada don't know.

1911A1 Colt...............has all US Army markings and stamps. I traced it to Kansas.......that's bout it.

Cept the SKS I have. Russian. don't think its ever been fired.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-07-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I think it's different if you volunteered or went to fight for your country out of your own will, unlikely many other places that forced anyone 16 and over to go to war. Child soldiers for example don't go war to protect their family. They have no family to protect because they were murdered by the kidnappers.
What I am trying to say is that I, personally feel odd having an item in my possession that may have been used to kill someone, either by accident or on purpose, in the line of duty or not. Still took a persons life. Now there are people who collect such items, but I am not that person. Don't see why I need to be called a troll as soon as my personal opinion and belief is out of the ordinary.
I didn't call you that, but I wondered if you were for a moment. Reason? There are "antis" on every gun forum, and if you've been around enough of them, long enough, there are negatively-themed (we'll call them) thread starters posted by these people meant to draw a potentially unflattering response unsuspecting forum members. This gives the antis the "gotcha" replies they're fishing for. So, when you make a post that in summary..."SOUNDS" like you're feeling guilty about gun ownership in any way/shape/form...it makes the cynic in me wonder.

Don't read into it though, or take it personally. I don't think the question is way "out there"...but it almost reads like it is. Just trying to offer an explanation. Heck, I related my pocket watch story because I more or less have/had similar questions myself. I internalized them though..until today.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:07 PM

Default 1911

A buddy has a 1913 made .45 1911 that could have been in 4-5 theaters of war...................... armory refurbed along the way
Old 03-07-2018, 12:26 PM

This thread is weird at best and a bit disturbing.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-07-2018, 01:49 PM

There is probably only a fairly small percentage of guns around that have actually been used in battle, probably a lot more that were only ever deployed on guard duty, around bases, behind the lines, etc. Most of the actual battle rifles were probably scrapped after the wars, some may have been refurbed. Seen lots of pics of piles of German rifles for example, that were destroyed, no doubt the Germans destroyed plenty of Russian and others weapons as they captured them. A great many were buried and lost in the various battle zones. I would expect the bulk of what we see are obsolete armory reserve pieces that never saw actual battle. I'm sure there are some around that have some stories behind them though.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:54 PM

I think the prospect is very morbid.
More morbid is the fact somebody brought this up in public.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
+1
Old 03-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Banned

Gloszz I think your question was a totally reasonable question, Some may be too proud to admit they have thought the same of guns or knives , or vehicles OR perhaps their WIVES etc etc. AND don,t forget you are on a forum as with any forum ,where there is ALWAYS someone who will disagree with you or twist it to make you feel bad ! Its a subtle form of bullying.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Gloszz I think your question was a totally reasonable question, Some may be too proud to admit they have thought the same of guns or knives , or vehicles OR perhaps their WIVES etc etc. AND don,t forget you are on a forum as with any forum ,where there is ALWAYS someone who will disagree with you or twist it to make you feel bad ! Its a subtle form of bullying.
Perhaps the timing was not right then with all that is going on with guns/killing to sit and think about it is one thing but to post it is another. Tuff enough times for the shooting sports and this is what the forum is full of people involved in the shooting sports so let's not feed the anti gun people another thread they can feed on.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-07-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Depends how sensitive you are...
Old 03-07-2018, 04:17 PM

I have a old SMLE that has been passed down a few times. It saw action in WW2, and has killed more Germans than rotten sauerkraut and the autobahn. I still hunt with it, no issues about it's past at all!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-07-2018, 04:37 PM

I read some statistics years ago in a book on snipers about the number of rounds per kill used in wars in the 20th century. Went something like this (numbers are likely not to be exact)

WW1-10,000
WW2-25,000
Korea-75,000
Vietnam-250,000

If these are even remotely accurate, a gun would be worn out many times over per kill.

I cannot comment on the individual holding the rifle however. Some may have been much better than others...
Old 03-07-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I was stabbed several years ago and I am now the owner of that knife. I cant blame the knife for the actions of it's previous owner. I swear that knife hates me though because I always seem to cut myself when ever I remove it from the sheath.

I do know of a few rifles that made it back from WW2 with confirmed kills behind them. Its a cool reminder to see an Enfield with 7 swastika's and 1 SS sig rune carved into the stock.

If you could locate those riffles, please post or email me the pics of the swas, and ss cut it the stock, love the old timers stories that were in WW2, lost my grandpa that fought there, as a kid saw the SS Luger thats in the family
Closed Thread