Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Hey Bolt - can we get into the Bullshead parking lot or will we need to hike in from the road. I hope we don't need snow shoes as well!

KJPFISH
Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
Just got back from a drive out to BullsHead. Lots of snow and lots of ice. I figure ice is at least 3 feet thick. No water around the edges yet, but who know what will happen in the next few days. I plan on being out there on Friday. We took some pictures today but not sure how to post them here for you all.

We also went out to Michelle, more snow out there. Saw someone icefishing there. Was a little slow at the time. He was just waiting for BullsHead to open just like us.

Can't wait for Friday. Got the fishing licence at CT on the way back home. Tackle box ready to go.....now just to wait for Friday.

Bolt
Friday,saturday or sunday!!! Work cant get me for all three days,cu out there,it's suppose to be beautiful weather!!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJPFISH View Post
Hey Bolt - can we get into the Bullshead parking lot or will we need to hike in from the road. I hope we don't need snow shoes as well!

KJPFISH
The gate was closed yesterday, but the road in and the parking lot was plowed. I am sure that they will have it open Friday. There was a fair amount of snow from the parking lot to the lake. Will be driving a blue van....say hi.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
The gate was closed yesterday, but the road in and the parking lot was plowed. I am sure that they will have it open Friday. There was a fair amount of snow from the parking lot to the lake. Will be driving a blue van....say hi.
Thanks for the update. I'm headed to the Hat tonight and we'll be in the BH parking lot by about 7 am. I'm driving a '08 grey/blue Duramax. We normally hike and then fish the back bays, so I hope the snow is not too deep, given that we will be pulling sleds with all our 'stuff'. I hope the wind stays down!

Good fishing!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM

How good is the road cleared out? will you need a 4 x4 or two wheel drive.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing101 View Post
How good is the road cleared out? will you need a 4 x4 or two wheel drive.
FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
It was pretty good, down to the gravel in parts, but it was still frozen when we were out there. I think it will be not to bad.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM

WARNING!!!!!!!
We have a winter storm warning for Medicine Hat today, April 1st 2011. Anyone who knows these parts, knows that it's usually worse down south. Hope you have a 4x4, or you might want to keep an eye on the sky.

Just a heads up guys: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warni...242cweg-074200
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Anyone make it out there Today??? I could'nt
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
WARNING!!!!!!!
We have a winter storm warning for Medicine Hat today, April 1st 2011. Anyone who knows these parts, knows that it's usually worse down south. Hope you have a 4x4, or you might want to keep an eye on the sky.

Just a heads up guys: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warni...242cweg-074200
yup weather warning for calgary tonight a couple inches of snow too
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
yup weather warning for calgary tonight a couple inches of snow too
I guess only the Men will be out there Tommorow!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Anyone make it out there Today??? I could'nt

ya what wj said

any reports?

please and thank you
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM

I caught a 10 pounder what a hog .... Than I woke up drewling on the window of my work truck,had a sore neck ... And had to get back to work .
Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

i was hoping for a report too. oh well.....hopefully i can squeeze a few hours in sunday.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:46 AM

I went out for a few hours in the morning and managed one fish. I got there at 6:30 and was suprised there was already about 15 vehicles in the parking lot. When i left there was about 50. Seemed slow everywhere, power augers were going all morning as guys were moving around. Everyone I talked to only had one or two fish. The one I did catch was 55cm.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Friend was out for the morning,landed 2....a 21" and a 23"
Not real fast n furious from what I gather.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 AM

50 vehicles to go out and plow through snow and ice fish (with storm warning coming)....on a lake with regs for "elite" fisherman....Wow. Who would have thought it could happen?

I guess some folks DO like bigger fish...lazy buggers

How chunky were the fish? Are they nice and fat?
Were the 21" triploids (chrome) or were they diploids with grey bellies?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
50 vehicles to go out and plow through snow and ice fish (with storm warning coming)....on a lake with regs for "elite" fisherman....Wow. Who would have thought it could happen?

I guess some folks DO like bigger fish...lazy buggers
LOL, I was thinking it. Funny thing huh?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 AM

The parking lot was cleared, no snow what so ever and the lake was snow free as well. A couple of people drove on no problem. The fish I caught was not a triploid and I didn't even look at it's belly color.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

driving on the lake? yikes....i wouldnt, no matter the ice thickness. actually, considering the gas outboard restriction i wonder if the parkies are gonna be hopping mad about it?

anyway, im going to shelf my trip today. in medicine hat a wild blizzard has snow coming down pretty good. of course it sure would look wierd going up. anyway, its snowing a heavy wet dump and whats worse is the wind is howling something awful. im waiting for tomorrow. besides, then robin can come with and she makes everything we do more fun.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
driving on the lake? yikes....i wouldnt, no matter the ice thickness. actually, considering the gas outboard restriction i wonder if the parkies are gonna be hopping mad about it?

anyway, im going to shelf my trip today. in medicine hat a wild blizzard has snow coming down pretty good. of course it sure would look wierd going up. anyway, its snowing a heavy wet dump and whats worse is the wind is howling something awful. im waiting for tomorrow. besides, then robin can come with and she makes everything we do more fun.
I'm shooting for Monday....

Had to work last night Late,and i'm going back for a 20-24 hour shift right away...

Weather tommorow is suppose to suck,however monday shows sunshine!!!

hopefully that turns on the Rainbows!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Me and mini me were out there today for about 4 hours. Very nasty wind and began to storm badly at about 1 o'clock. Road was quite nasty also. Not real cold though. Caught 7 over 50cm and 12 under. Biggest one my 6 year old boy caught and it was 5.5lbs and only 23.5". Longest one was 24.5" and weighed 5lbs. Had 2 KING KONGS break me off....BRUUUUUTTTTAAALLLL. Nobody out there after about 11:30 a.m. and fish were crazy. Drove on the ice as there were guys driving all over the lake on opening day. Good luck out there.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Weather network doesnt show it as being too bad. Me and the little bro are gonna blow in there for first light. Gotta get on the recieving end of my annual sh*t kicking by a pot hole rainbow. Pretty exciting, but the earlier I get on it, the better off my year will be for it. Trophyboy, if your little guy leans on you again and your rolling in for the morning chew, we're gonna be in a tan/rust colored chev diesel, and the little bro is sorta dumb looking he sticks right out, ya cant miss us LOL

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 PM

Hey Kelly,

Glad to hear you and The little man hammered some whoppers. I am going to wait for the ice to clear enough to toss a fly before I head out there.

See ya on the trail

Nate
Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyboy View Post
Me and mini me were out there today for about 4 hours. Very nasty wind and began to storm badly at about 1 o'clock. Road was quite nasty also. Not real cold though. Caught 7 over 50cm and 12 under. Biggest one my 6 year old boy caught and it was 5.5lbs and only 23.5". Longest one was 24.5" and weighed 5lbs. Had 2 KING KONGS break me off....BRUUUUUTTTTAAALLLL. Nobody out there after about 11:30 a.m. and fish were crazy. Drove on the ice as there were guys driving all over the lake on opening day. Good luck out there.

Awesome! Quite jealous, was a tuff haul for us...
We packed er in quite fast on Saturday, 40mph winds were enough for us lol, only thing that saved the tent from flying across the lake was my body. Took me a minute to realize what happened...wind ripped 3 spikes outta ice and tent turned itself outside in. Thought i broke my nose. We fished in the wind and caught no fish for an hr after that.

Went back Sunday with a vengence. I stepped into a previously auged hole up to my knee. Spent the whole day thawing leg/foot/gear.
Friend of mine fell through two holes, 1 up to his jewels. He too, thawed gear all day in his own shack. Very tough to see them holes with a little wind-blown snow on top. Grrrr.

In the end, sat all day without a bite, until the last hour around 2ish and landed a fatty 21" 4.5#er which is in the process of being marinated before the smoke.

Everyone we spoke to had luck on leetch imitations and small grubs. When we cut into our fish, the conents of their bellies revealed a diet of tiny shrimp and water bugs....much smaller than the grubs we were using.
Food for thought.

Again, awesome work trophyboy, ur boy may be a natural! Got me beat
Cheers n GL!