Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Default No fish is worth the risk...

Man we are lucky not to have crocs here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12696091
Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM

"Poaching? Nah I was just fishing."

Couldn't resist the Crocodile Dundee reference.

Can't remember if it was River Monsters or Monster Fish but the host was fishing in Australia and it's pretty scary. If you hook a fish you have to haul it in quickly or else a croc will steal it off your hook. I don't think any fight would be worth having to compete with a dinosaur...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
"Poaching? Nah I was just fishing."

Couldn't resist the Crocodile Dundee reference.

Can't remember if it was River Monsters or Monster Fish but the host was fishing in Australia and it's pretty scary. If you hook a fish you have to haul it in quickly or else a croc will steal it off your hook. I don't think any fight would be worth having to compete with a dinosaur...
Knoife that's not a knoife.............this is a knoife
Old 03-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Hiya Mate... Is that your sheila your rooting? No way mate. That's an actress...not my wife.

Oh wait...that was a quote after the movie.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Never experienced Crocodiles before....but I used to live in Louisiana and quit often fished on a daily basis. Alligators are VERY common there (you see road kill Gators there like we see road kill Deer) and we would see them while fishing pretty much every day. They aren't aggressive at all. Typically they would see you coming....crawl into the water and swim about 40 feet out....turn and just watch you.
I came across one by...uhh...'accident' once....I was walking along shore fishing and came to a small stand of tall grass It had a narrow ditch in the middle of it about 24" wide, so I took a step back....and jumped through the grass. Guess what was on the other side of the grass about 10 feet away sleeping in the sun? An Alligator about 9 or 10 feet long!! I about SH!T myself...and so did the Alligator!! We both came about 2 feet off the ground, and were heading in opposite directions as soon as we both hit the ground!!

Goes without sayin'....I'll NEVER forget that encounter! LOL!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
Never experienced Crocodiles before....but I used to live in Louisiana and quit often fished on a daily basis. Alligators are VERY common there (you see road kill Gators there like we see road kill Deer) and we would see them while fishing pretty much every day. They aren't aggressive at all. Typically they would see you coming....crawl into the water and swim about 40 feet out....turn and just watch you.
I came across one by...uhh...'accident' once....I was walking along shore fishing and came to a small stand of tall grass It had a narrow ditch in the middle of it about 24" wide, so I took a step back....and jumped through the grass. Guess what was on the other side of the grass about 10 feet away sleeping in the sun? An Alligator about 9 or 10 feet long!! I about SH!T myself...and so did the Alligator!! We both came about 2 feet off the ground, and were heading in opposite directions as soon as we both hit the ground!!

GOOD STORY !!!............I like watching....... SWAMP PEOPLE !!!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
GOOD STORY !!!............I like watching....... SWAMP PEOPLE !!!
X2...I like that show. They should run pseudo eco tours...gator huntin style.

I was scanning the internet one day and saw a house about twice our size for under $400,000...about 3 acres...backing onto a bass lake with creek access to the ocean. I thought it looked awesome...till you realize there could be a 12 foot croc just under the water...
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM

i have heard many stories of pike doing simular things off of docks people getting bitten when their legs or hands were in the water dangling. down at the forks a few years back we were fishing for goldeyes and i was bringing one in from the muddy murky water and just when i reached down to grab the goldeye this huge mouth opend up behind it and scared the bajesus out of me and my buddies. i didn't expect such a huge pike in there that close to shore.a week later one of my buddies went back down to hunt that bugger down and was suscessful. pulled in a 17 lb northern and released it.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:

Gators are more docile and less powerful than crocks. Its due to what they eat. Gators don't have to take down big wildebeasts and zebras like crocs do. There was a show I watched once. A croc got over half his body jumping out of the water.a gator only got a quarter if his body out when jumping for food. crocs are much more dangerous
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM

I think the moral of this story is: If you want to be a hero to your fishing buddies you need to spend more time in the pub!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I can attest to that....... I never laughed so hard in my life..... ofcourse after I made sure he was alright I never realised he could move that fast!!!!!