Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Default Take that whitefish!

Went to Pigeon on Saturday. This time on the South side. Not too bad! If it wasn't for the big snowpile in front of the lake, it would have been easy driving. Hoofed it out there and it really wasn't a hard walk.

Make it short, saw a number of whites. Hooked 2 early on but lost them. One was a behemoth white. Fished from 5 FOW out to 20 FOW - covered some area. Saw a lot more out in the 10-15 FOW area. Came close plenty of times but went home skunked.

Decided to head back on Sunday since I knew it was going to be sunny. Got there just before sunrise. Used the same holes as Saturday and left the auger back. Started out shallow but only saw a couple. Hooked and lost an absolute monster white. It's always a guess but based on the ones that have made it up...probably in the 6-7 lb class.

Anyways, it smelled like a repeat. I headed out to about 12 FOW. Dropped down, white came in and then I proceeded to scare the hell out of it. Never came back. It was still very early but I was considering packing up since the better weather didn't seem to matter. Then, the light switch went on! Had a white come in and miss when I was about mid-way. Dropped down and it followed, then, went out of sight of the hole and came back in perfectly lined up and took the hook. I hand over handed this one up and out before it even fought. It looked big to me but I gave it a quick whack and dropped the hook down again. Had another white come in on the way down. Just missed on this one. Then another...miss! Game on time!

The hour was pretty amazing fishing. I had another white come out of nowhere and set itself on the hook it seemed. This one I let run. I could not tell the size but from the squeal of the reel, I thought it must be decent. Had a great tug of back and forth. The 'TICK-TICK-TICK' of the line on the bottom of the hole made be cringe every time. It was pretty damn exciting! Fish kept running every time I got it close to the hole. I finally got it turned and up. Had a tough time fitting my hand around this one and had to scope it out. Huge white!

The rest of the time I had several more come in and take the hook only to set it and watch it come out - 3 in row like this. One of those days where I could have easily reached my limit with a bit more luck. Can't complain though, the fishing was plain awesome! Also, managed a nice smaller walleye and then a fat big walleye back to back. Looked at my watch, 9:30 a.m.....
Spent about a half hour talking with an older couple that had walked out from their cabin. Very Ukranian folks
They had a hand auger so I showed them the holes I made and they were quite pleased to use them.

When I get home I put the whites on the scale and they are 4.4 and 4.1 lbs each. I was guessing around 3 at first. Man Pigeon has just huge whites. Such a pleasure. Half of one is enough for two people. Both where perfect specimens - no worms - lots of meat. So, got on the phone to some family and it is fish fry heaven tonight.

Still 2 weeks left for Pigeon. I'm sure I'll get out again.

Cheers!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM

I love the newspaper headlines. Fish were so good they made the news, eh? "Food Fit For A Queen"

Nice Fish! Sure wish I could escape for a day... Bet they taste good!

Congrats on the success!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 PM

Nice silver carp as my polish friend calls'em. Nice catch snapfisher.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM

Default whitefish

Nice chunky whites ~ cangrats !!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Very nice catch SNAP. Great play by play too. Some day im gonna meet up with you ( follow you like a stocker) and find out your tricks. Your the man. Found out one, get there early and catch your limit then go home at 10 or so. LOL
GREAT CATCH!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Big Slabs there! Gotta try to get out before she closes down. Nice work SNAP!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:07 PM

Excellent catch SNAP!
Hopefully I can get out once more for some of them babies.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 PM

its funny how good photoshop works these days...Great catch Snapfisher the fish look prime.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:52 PM

Nice catch SNAPFisher. Those whites are jumbos. congrats

That lake seems to produce lots of nice sized whites on average.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
its funny how good photoshop works these days...Great catch Snapfisher the fish look prime.
photoshop? These whites are very real! Congrats snap...
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM

i was sarcasm buck those are very nice fish
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Killer fish bro! Where exactly did you go? Where'd you access?

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 04-04-2011, 09:12 AM

I fished in moonlight bay Sunday and wow talk about an hour of power. Punched holes at 730 AM and instantly had 2 eyes on but lost both of them at the bottom of the hole.

I saw 4 whites on the cam and then my little guy caught a nice hammer handle. After about an hour it was dead...

Later in the afternoon we had a pike come for a visit... wasn't very interested in the hook but I swear it was trying to spawn with the camera.... Kept seeing its fins brushing the lens and as if it was right on top of it.

Dissappeared for a while then once again there were the fins....
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Nice fish! 2 weeks left a pigeon eh? hhhmmmm

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Very nice whites...impressive....they look like they are working on the Sumo diet.
Are you using wire worms.....it seemed that the last time we were out they were very skitish of wetaskiwins.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Hey there. Fished the Mameo area. Had to walk on. Small gold wetasiwin is the key.

Thanks all for the comments. Evening fishing should be good to. Nothing like heading out after work for a pleasant, warm evening complete with sunset. If a fish makes on the ice, all the sweeter!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Me and the boys usually wrap up ice fishing on March 31 as the whites on gull slow down and its closed then.........we just looked at the regs and see that pigeon is still open.....might make up for missing most of Jan and Feb as it was too cold to lure the boys out of their warm beds...but they are getting tougher each year.

My oldest boy has gotten very interested now, when I told him about 4.4lb whites in the warm sunny of April.

I think we have a few more ice fishing days planned...thinking about Thursday and/or Saturday.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 04-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Any of you guys have any recommendations on specific locations, structure, FOW, or presentations? Firing up the blades this weekend.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"