Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Off shore fishing in Victoria BC

Anyone know any places to fish from the shore in or around Victoria BC?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

better guys to answer this than me, but i was out there for 4 months and i have no idea why but i never took any of my gear with me. its kind of funny because no matter where i travel now, i bring a rod. anyways. I did look into it after i realized how stupid I was. Apparently an amazing place to fish is the breakwater. easy access, get to watch the ships come in and out. and apparently can catch lots on the step dropoff near the end of it. There is websites out with more details I just cant remember them google fishing the breakwater in victoria. Also i have seen people catch at the fishermans peir in sydney. but that is fairly high above the water and you would never see me trying to hoist a fish from a peir 10 feet above the water.

PS. I miss crab fishing. I still have my crab trap and have made some modifications to in in plans on going out the one long weekend this summer and fishing.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 PM

A quick call to Island Outfitters or Robinson's Sporting Goods in Victoria wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:27 PM

I have caught many dog sharks off of the main wharf at the end of Beacon Ave in Sidney. There is a fish plant on that dock which drops the waste fish cuttings into the water there so there is plenty of red rock crab, cod and dog fish hanging around.

James Island Dock is good for Dogs, and the odd Dungeness crab as well.

Fishing the breakwater off of Dallas road can be good, but it see's heavy pressure. If you can find a gap in the kelp after the corner, that is where I have had my best luck. I have not pulled a salmon out of the water while shore fishing there, ever. Mind you, I very rarely try for them from shore.

There are MASSIVE ling off the breakwater. Ask any of the divers that frequently dive off the breakwater and they will attest, the big ones are there. They will also tell you of the PILES AND PILES of lures that are snagged in the crevices down there. Try buzz bombs, zingers and big buck tails and try to keep it close to bottom. I found that when I swapped the treble on the buzz/zingers with a red single Gamakatsu, I lost half as many lures.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

god i miss Vic
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
god i miss Vic
Moka House Coffee...
Perogies at the Bent Mast...
Stir Fry at the Noodle Box...
Watching kiteboarders twice my age, absolutely KILLING it off of Dallas road...
Bass, Bluegill and Pumpkinseed fishing in Elk Lake...
Finest at Sea's Salmon Jerky...
Fish and Chips at Fishermans Wharf...
Nights at Darcy's...

The list can go on forever. One good thing is, when we do go back - it tastes that much sweeter.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Patton Road at Dallas road near the miniature boat pond. Use any siver or blue 3 inch spoon,, don't let it sink. And buzz bombs are fine from a boat there but not from shore, unless you are quite wealthy. mid to low tide is good. If you get up to Sechelt in mid June and onward, green spinners from the Provincial Park on Poirpoise Bay,, Coho from shore. In Victoria, bring a net. Good Ling fishing when the ships come in at the breakwater, but check your regs for catching them.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Patton Road at Dallas road near the miniature boat pond. Use any siver or blue 3 inch spoon,, don't let it sink. And buzz bombs are fine from a boat there but not from shore, unless you are quite wealthy. mid to low tide is good. If you get up to Sechelt in mid June and onward, green spinners from the Provincial Park on Poirpoise Bay,, Coho from shore. In Victoria, bring a net. Good Ling fishing when the ships come in at the breakwater, but check your regs for catching them.

PFFF!!!..... You would post on a BC coast fishing thread Mr. "i can basically catch salmon from my patio....back casting through my living room then out to the water".....

you suck

PS. when we going to meet up to hit the water again? One would assume that you would want your fly rod back.