Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Banned

Default Power Auger Deals?

I've been using a hand auger all of my life and I figure that it's time to invest in a power one. They are all going on sale now that the season is just about over so I figure that now would be a good time to buy. I don't need anything fancy and as long as it drills a hole through the ice I'd be happy. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look at and/or a certain type that I should avoid. What am I looking for in a power drill...........length, Engine HP, etc?

Here are the deals at WSS right now:

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...c20405-p2.html
Old 04-02-2011, 03:49 AM

Phone before you go. I believe the store in Calgary may not have any left. No idea what the Edmonton store has. Ask if other stores have any, and I think they will have them brought in from that store for no charge.

I have a jiffy and have had no problems.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Edmonton might have a jiffy or two left but thats about it. TFH is sold out as far as i know as well..

good luck!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Was just at TFH yesterday they have a white lightning and a stingray for $289.
Hope this helps.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Lots of personal preferences...but I like Eskimo best. They start easiest and run the best. HP isn't everything, gearing makes a big difference too. 8" is likely all you need and is a good all purpose size. Though if you can afford 10" that would be good. Weight is a big factor for me because I drill tons of holes and pull it in a sled a lot. Strike masters also good. Personally, I'd stay away from these new Jiffys.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 AM

I'm with nicemustang...this year I picked up an older used Eskimo auger from another forum member and it worked out great for me. I love the fact that it's got a pretty small engine which really helps keep the weight down for those days when I've gotta walk out and pull everything on the sled. It isn't geared to turn the auger nearly as fast as the Jiffy's but it gets the job done just fine.

I also noticed that it seems like the leg on the Eskimo seems to be a little longer than the leg on the Jiffy's I've come across...at the end of the season the Jiffy's were getting right down where the motor was almost in the hole (and one actually sucked in some water once) while I still had a couple extra inches before I bottomed out. Not a big concern early in the season, but at the end it may save you from having to get an extension

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 AM

Hey Dave,

PM sent.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

i tend to not care about the brand name of any small engine equipment. the key component there is the engine and for me thats the name i want to recognize. briggs and stratton, tecumseh, and others make a quality product. as for the auger, good deals can be found at canadian tires online site....often better than a deal you would find at a store. a power auger is something you will never regret. how many times have you wanted to move to a different spot but didnt beacuse it was easier to keep fishing that hole you already drilled?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 AM

X2 on the eskimo, I dont have one myself but I had a new jiffy white lighting and i ended up returning it because it wont start when its cold...
Seems like there's quite a few people having trouble with the new jiffys.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

Thanks for the advice. I'm going out this afternoon to have a look for an Eskimo Stingray..........$260 at WSS and $290 at TFH. I'll stop by Walmart and Can Tire along the way and see what they have on clearance as well.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM

I have a jiffy model 30 they cut nice but it has been a pig to start right from new,needs to be on plus side of the thermometer before it runs good the colder it is the harder it is to get it to run .And they are heavy i now i would not buy jiffy again.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 PM

spend the money and get a Strike Master... Had a couple of bad experiences with Eskimos, maybe just bad luck and got ones that had problems but the SM has been awesome! Good power, starts super easy and very light compared to Eskimos of the same size...just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Strikemaster LM Express with Solo motor...you won't be sorry.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Was just at TFH yesterday they have a white lightning and a stingray for $289.
Hope this helps.

Andy
I was there today and I looked at both. The sale on the White Lightning ended on March 31 but the rep said that if I talked to the manager on Tuesday he might honour the sale price. Assuming that I could get either auger at $290, which one would be the better deal......Jiffy White Lightning 2 HP or the Eskimo Stingray 1.5 HP?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM

The WSS in Cowtown has no more ice fishing stuffs left on the floor. Don't bother going there.

If I were to pick between the White Lightning or the Stingray I'd go with the Lightning. But if you were comparing the White Lightning with the Shark z51 I'd go with the Shark.
Besides the HP you should see how many blades these comes with. The White lightning only has 1 I think...whereas the Eskimo's have 2...not sure about the Stingray though.

I think you won't have any regrets with either of those you're comparing when they are on clearance prices.

Have fun with it! They're awesome.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM

Picked up a really nice Tanaka TIA-340 about three weeks ago with an 8" Strikemaster Laser Bit, five sets of extra blades and a whole bunch of other ice fishing stuff. This is the time of year to get good deals on used stuff. Not sure if I will sell my 10' Jiffy stealth, but I will probably wait till the next ice season begins to decide. The tanaka is as light as a feather and cuts like a dream.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm going out this afternoon to have a look for an Eskimo Stingray..........$260 at WSS and $290 at TFH. I'll stop by Walmart and Can Tire along the way and see what they have on clearance as well.
Yup , l have one , nice and light and the company stands behind them with great service .
Old 04-03-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I was there today and I looked at both. The sale on the White Lightning ended on March 31 but the rep said that if I talked to the manager on Tuesday he might honour the sale price. Assuming that I could get either auger at $290, which one would be the better deal......Jiffy White Lightning 2 HP or the Eskimo Stingray 1.5 HP?
Myself I would go with the stingray I've read to many complaints about the jiffys not starting in the cold weather.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
buy an auger Dave?
Not yet. We might be going out to Lake X this week and I don't feel like doing my holes by hand (bad shoulder from a skidoo accident in January) so I'll be buying something before I go. WSS Edmonton South only has Jiffy's left and TFH has an Eskimo Stingray for $290. That should be good enough for the girls that I go out with.