Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Newell ice shack

Was out fishing whites on Newell and noticed a large shack ,by the island north of park, still on the ice that probably should be off by now.I was still able to drive on from the east trail but days are numbered..I realize that weather conditions have not been favorable but I also feel that the EID may impose sanctions in the future if this huge shack is left to sink. I met the owners of the shack who are from Calgary and they were very decent people but irresponsible as to not getting their shack off this long.They have their work cut out to move this monster shack now and will hopefullybe able get it off and not leave it sink.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Is it necessary to have your name/address on any shacks that are left out on the ice for the season? Would seem to me that if its not removed before the ice comes off then they should be charged with littering.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Maybe we should drag it onto the island, I bet the gulls would enjoy painting it white.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Maybe we should drag it onto the island, I bet the gulls would enjoy painting it white.
Probably better to do that then let her go down....if its not too much trouble. Shame on them for not picking up after themselves....
Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Most of the shacks I have seen are made of wood (some are even insulated with foam, and will likely float for quite some time. Maybe they are planning to use a boat?? I don't think they will sinke out of sight - not sure at what point it becomes littering.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM

at sylvan theres lots of ice shacks on the lake that should be gone by now...sadley i dont think there gonna make it some in the middle and quite large. i also seen on sylvan some guy ice shack fall apart as he was draging it.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 AM

I may know who they are, is it a really big plywood one? I believe 12x12 or so was the size, if so I will contact them to get on moving that this weekend as I believe this week would probably be the last weekend that it is going to be possible to drive. I thought that they took it off 2 weeks ago though but I could be wrong.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM

hard to say theres lots of 12x12 ice shacks on the lake right now on the northside and on the south
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Walked part way to island on Newell and the huge shack was gone.As I posted the guys seemed like good guys and they apparently were to brave road conditions and the elements yesterday to get their shack off.THANKS GUYS as it would be terrible to tick the EID off as they are great neighbors.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Default hut registration

In Ontario you have to apply to fur and fin for a hut registration number

mine was # 10444 for one managment area !!!!

with that many huts it creates a serious marine hazard SO IF YOU DONT TAKE IT OFF BY MARCH 15 you are charged the cost plus a fine

belive me people do what it takes including burning them