Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 AM

Default Trolling under the influence...

First of all, I'm talking about my trolling motor...(Catchy title though, eh?) I've got a 17ft Legend with a 115 merc on it with a bow mount MKota trolling motor, with a foot control. Have run it for 3 years. Although a little underpowered, I think it's a 55 lb/thrust), the motor is great.

However, in anything other than dead calm, I always have issues keeping the boat on course. Always seems to kick the stern out. It's better with the outboard down, but 60% of the time I get sick of fighting with it, and fire up the Merc and use it. I get a fast retrieve at best.

Any suggestions? And, no, I dont want to drag buckets.

Also, I'm wondering what's the best way to accurately measure your trolling speed...

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Gps speed is the only way to go about measuring your trolling speeds. What model is your trolling motor? Can you get copilot or ipilot for your motor? Would make controlling the motor alot easier and you can do so anywhere on the boat. A bigger heavier pound thrust trolling motor might be a better option for you to.

Right now I am running a minn kota powerdrive v2 and will have ipilot on it this year. Since new I have run copilot so I can't really say if its just the foot pedal or not. I am running a 24 volt system on my little 16.5 single console alumicraft and it pulls the boat around really well.

Hopefully you can get something figured out and get back to trolling with the electric more often.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyangelo View Post
Also, I'm wondering what's the best way to accurately measure your trolling speed...
All of the trolling that I do is with a 9.9 hp in an aluminum fishing boat. I measure my trolling speed by the sound of the motor and the bend in the rod. I wonder if a gps wouldn't be able to tell you.......or is the speed for trolling too slow to register anything?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Of course the action of the lure is the biggest factor to look at. It us nice to know how fast you're going for referencing purposes.
It's an original Powerdrive V1. Was doing what I could to not have to buy the co-pilot with a new version of the motor. They do look slick though.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 04-04-2011, 03:34 PM

if you can afford to just skip right past the copilot and go straight to the ipilot. It has everything that the copilot does and way more. With ipilot you can set it up for whatever speed you want your motor to stay trolling at. You can also set trolling trails or if you mark a bunch of fish right under you and want to try jigging them just hit the spot lock and the motor will work as an anchor and keep you within a couple feet of that spot. I will be testing my new ipilot out on may 8th when walleye season opens down here in the south.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
. I wonder if a gps wouldn't be able to tell you.......or is the speed for trolling too slow to register anything?
Yes it will...or should?Even the least expensive handheld GPS on the market should likely tell you your speed,no matter slow you are walking,trolling etc.If not,mark a waypoint,troll for x amount of time at xxxRPMs and then do some simple D/T calculations.ex;100m in 1 minute=6km/hr

The problem with judging your speed by engine sound/rpms etc. is that will vary greatly according to headwind vs. tailwind,tide,currents etc.

Last edited by grinr; 04-04-2011 at 07:27 PM.