Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2015, 06:13 PM

Default Ready for the ice to be gone now

So I bit the bucket and finally spent some serious cash on a reel and spinning rod and cant be more excited. I have fished since I was old enough to walk, yet have always used semi cheap equipment (Other than my ice fishing rods and Fly Rods, which I spent more than I'd like on). At the end of summer last year as I was coming in my house, the wind caught the door and slammed and my browning rod got caught and snapped in half (only a $40 rod/reel combo, not a huge loss). I figured this year I'd indulge and treat myself to a real rod and reel. I picked up a Pflueger President 6925 reel and a Fenwick HMG 6' light action today, ready for the ice to be gone!. Anyone have experience with this rod and reel? I'm reading good things. Who else is ready for the hard water to be gone? Anyone pick up some new toys this winter for spring?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:36 PM

I haven't picked up any new toys for the water but since I only got on the water once with my boat I can't wait. Missing it.

Also can't wait for fly season.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:02 PM

Absolutely love thoes rods. Have a heavier version on my sturgeon set up, and had the ultra lite as well till I dropped my anchor on it.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHaw View Post
Absolutely love thoes rods. Have a heavier version on my sturgeon set up, and had the ultra lite as well till I dropped my anchor on it.
Good to hear!. I have a Fenwick fly rod from the 80's that my dad built and its amazing. I also have a Fenwick fly rod Blank I plan to build one of these days. Never tried a Fenwick spinning rod, but if it fishes as nice as I think it will, then it's money well spent!
Old 02-21-2015, 07:42 PM

I have a 7' medium-moderate Fenwick rod I use for summer pike/walleye fishing, it's a great rod. It was under $100 too.

I am ready for open water again too, dying to get the boat out and start casting some spoons! Although this hard water season has been treating me pretty good I won't complain.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:48 PM

Agree with everyone else ...... excellent rods ......

Nobody commented on the reel ..... so I won't either ......

Just teasing you about the reel ..... although for spinning reels I like Abu Garcia and Shimano myself.

Last edited by EZM; 02-21-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:38 PM

I have been using pflueger presidents reels for years. I still use the first 2 i ever bought and i fish a ton for walleyes including tourneys. I have never had one fail on me and have never had to do any servicing at all.

They are smooth and reliable reels.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Agree with everyone else ...... excellent rods ......

Nobody commented on the reel ..... so I won't either ......

Just teasing you about the reel ..... although for spinning reels I like Abu Garcia and Shimano myself.
haha fair enough!. To be honest, I went in with full intentions of buying a Quantum, but this one has 10 bearings and was $40 cheaper, felt extremely smooth too where the Quantum had a bit of jolt on it (may have just been the show model)
Old 02-21-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I have been using pflueger presidents reels for years. I still use the first 2 i ever bought and i fish a ton for walleyes including tourneys. I have never had one fail on me and have never had to do any servicing at all.

They are smooth and reliable reels.
Thats reassuring!. My old man has an old Mitchell like that, 30 years or older and hasn't ever had a problem.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
haha fair enough!. To be honest, I went in with full intentions of buying a Quantum, but this one has 10 bearings and was $40 cheaper, felt extremely smooth too where the Quantum had a bit of jolt on it (may have just been the show model)
They seem like decent reels for the money and I would agree far better than a quantum at the same price point. I have 2 quantums, one was around $50 and it's a piece of crap and used as my back up of a back up for ice fishing. The other quantum I have, around $120-$130 or so isn't much better and seems to bind up and click closed as it should. Drives me crazy. It's on the shelf in the garage somewhere.

I have one president on one of my back up (or for guests) medium lights, no complaints. I used it a few times when the kids were playing with my gear.

I just prefer Abu or Shimano ...... the Abu at the medium to medium high price range $130-$250 are the very best bang for your buck IMO.

The other dozen or so spinning reels are all Abu's or Shimanos. Love them all.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM

love my Pflueger President, had it for 3 years now and I've taken good care of it and it still looks brand new and casts like a dream... GREAT REEL!
I also own the Pflueger supreme for the same amount of time and love it just as much!
I've always owned Pflueger reels and have never been disappointed!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:48 AM

The president is a great reel. I would never buy a quantum again, my buddy has the smoke and its a pos. can't go wrong with a fenwick - ever!

Normally I feel that the ice season is too short, but I'm tired of the sketchy ice conditions this season. I too have a new setup, my first moocher. Can't wait to drop some lead!

Last edited by The Reel Deal; 02-22-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 PM

love the reel, its smooth and has lasted me a couple years now and is still going strong