Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 AM
Banned

Talking Most Memorable fishing trips

My most memorable fishing trip was the summer of 1993 at my grandfathers cabin located at lac des isles saskatchewan . The whole week we stayed there the weather was beautiful and the water was calm just like glass. *My brother,grandfather and I pulled in more fish that week than any other trip to the cabin since. The very last day we found a weed bed that was just in front of pickerel point, the weeds looked about 10 feet tall with another six or so feet of water above them and that's when I caught the biggest *northern pike we had ever seen. I was using a berkley power worm And that pike fought me like no other fish I've ever caught before. Because I wasn't using a leader I had to be careful as not to snap the line, must have fought him for a half hour before grandpa got him in the boat.After the fight and lunch on the lake we were kicked back looking at the sky in the boat when two blue jets dive bombed us right above the boat,they were from the cold lake air base,it was so cool! Almost surreal. It's these kind of moments that I will always cherish as my most favorite of experiences. We never weighed the monster pike but somewhere I still have a picture of it with a sixty pounder of rye sticking out of it's mouth .
Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Fishing the mouth of the Columbia River in Oregon/Washington. Had a US coast guard helicopter lower down to within inches of the water and then take off again. We were close enough to get misted from the wash of the helicopter... Caught a 30lber right after... That was cool.

My fav moment was fishing the miette river in Jasper as a kid when my dad and I caught our first fish together. We had been trying for a couple of years off and on and finally success... We had no idea how to get the fish off the hook because we had never got that far... I fished it two years ago with my kids in the exact same spot.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM

So many good days. Some were days with little or no fish. K-country last year and landed only 1 small laker. Still a beauty day. Many days on pigeon in june when you cant keep em off the hook. Hiking into Hunakwa lake off of Anesty arm (shuswap) and braving a huge storm on the way back (50 km of lake). A monster rainbow that broke my leader at the surface on Shuswap. Sight fishing for perch at Minnow for the first time. Too many fond memories to choose from
Good Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM

Had some epic trips to Graham and Peerless on the May Long weekend as a 20 something but the best were walking the Gregg river with my dad(age 10 and up). Fishing log jams for trout and rocky mt whites and the elusive Bull Trout. Back then you cold catch some real nice Bull trout in the Gregg river. This was back in the day when you had to be careful where you crossed the Gregg and you didn't even think of crossing the McLeod. We would get dropped off at one bend and walk the river to the next bend that met the road or we knew where to head for the road when the time was up. The uncles and their boys would take a different spot and 4 hrs later everyone would be on the road waiting for the last uncle to come and pick us up. Still camp up at the McLeod, still fish the Gregg. It is fun, we still catch fish but is nowhere near the river it used to be. Grew up at the McLeod river campground, so have my kids. Hope to enjoy some grand kids there too but that is a long way out still.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:49 PM

Most of the memories I have of good fishing and outdoor trips in general involve me late father. He was an avid outdoors man who really enjoyed being out doors. He loved his motorhome but was always willing to tent camp and getting to some of the places we went was half the battle. From trips into may lake on the back of trikes, to 4 wheeling into Siebert, and then there were our trips into the middle off Northern Saskatchewan, getting on a river walleye fishing, camping on islands banks, taking side creeks into some of the best northern pike fishing around.

Battling mosquitoes, black bears, horsefly's, and the odd moose only added to the adventure. He always had a jug of his special brew cut with a touch of cranberry juice just for color. Sometimes it was just me and him, often I had a friend along or we had an uncle or two. I miss those trips with the old man! One day I hope to meet up with him besides his fire and enjoy some time in the old tinner again.

Now my best trips are with my five year old daughter and her friends. Sitting in the ice tent playing snakes and ladders or her match games, and watching the bobs in the holes. Pink bobs at that!. These trips with her are just as special as they were with Dad, I try to make her a memory every outing.

BW
Old 02-23-2015, 03:52 PM

I've had some pretty unbelievable days that Im sure i'll always remember.

A day in central AB fishing bulls with some friends, where the snow as just coming down now stop, big white fluffy flakes, no wind, absolutely quiet, above 0 temps, and a very very nice bull that broke the silence.

And then theres days with my dad that i've had in jasper, fishing lakes. Some days where we literally can't keep fish off. Fish on every cast, Can't say I have any favourite day out there, because each year is always better then the next with him.

Had some pretty memorable days when fishing for bulls in BC. Went 10 fish on 10 casts over 25", then in the next hole proceeded to go 8 for 8, the day continued like that. Just silly.