Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Default Need Help with Rifle Barrel info

hi all

I am a new member to this site. Since i live in Alberta, i thought i join a local site, so here i am.

I have an old 30-06 Mauser rifle and i would like to re-barrel it to a 338-06 A-Square. Now i like to get a 26 inch good quality barrel on this rifle, something that is also accurate to 1MOA to1.5MOA. It is used for hunting of course, so i am not really looking for below 1MOA accuracy, but if it happens then great.

I was wondering if you guys know anyone from the U.S. or Canada who makes good barrels and is willing to mail them to Edmonton, Alberta.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Naturalhunter
Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Default new rifle barrel

ron smith from windborne alta. makes excelent barrels,very accurate
Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 PM

The cost of doing a re-barrel ...new barrel / chambering etc will probably be close to $700.00. If you are up for that, lots of barrels available ....Shilen (Mystic Precision), Kreiger (Corlane Sports / Adams Lake), Gaillard (Ted Gaillard)....Karl Schmidt (K S Arms)..then, you need a gunsmith.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Call Bob at Custom Gunworx(Rocky Mtn Hse), 403-845-8712, he can get you a Gailliard, Smith, Adams Lake, or just about any barrel you want to spend your cash on.

The accuracy side of the equation is more prone to be effected by the gunsmith doing the work as opposed to the paricular make of barrel (all the better known makers top end pipes are so close to call in a hunting rifle)

Bob does great work and will even let you watch of you have the time.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Precisionshooter

Shop around for pricing. Shilen, Krieger, Gaillard, MacLennon, Lilja will all typixally exceed your requirements. All them are lapped barrels. I don't know if Ron Smith laps his barrels but last I had heard he wasn't.

Send me a PM if you like I might be able to help you out.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Thank you very much for the info guys. really appreciate it.

Now if the gunsmith is as important as the quality of the barrel or even more important, then who would be a good gunsmith for me to get a hold of to do the re-barreling for me?

Thanks

Naturalhunter
Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 AM

Default K.S arms

Karl at K.S Arms is also a gun smith i belive i take all my rifles to him he does good work