Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Default 7mm RM Ammo Thoughts/Recommends

Looking for some thoughts and recommendations for 7mm rem mag ammo brands and type. Since owning the gun I have only used the cheaper 150g Remington CoreLokt soft point ammo for shooting practice and to put down a couple deer.
This year I will be going for a couple more deer as well as an Elk.

I am looking for a good ammo that won't break the bank and:
-will work well at all distances from 50 yards to 300 yards
-Still provide a nice flat trajectory that the 7mm is known for
-Effective killing for both Elk and deer

With your recommendation, please comment on how different the trajectory will be compared to the 150 corelokt. Would I be able to switch back and forth ammos without re-sighting in?

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm always looking to learn more.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:24 PM

No thoughts anyone?
Old 10-16-2010, 12:29 PM

I personally like the 140gr TTSX or TSX,for elk,moose and deer.As as far as price goes,as long as you sight in with your hunting load,and then shoot at a few different distances,a couple of boxes of ammunition are not going to break the bank.You will however need to check the zero with every type of ammunition to see the actual point of impact,as no one can know how they will shoot in your gun without actually shooting them in your gun.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Default ammo choices

I have traditonally used Federal Premium BTSP but based on a recommention from a friend i am going to the range next week to try some remington express core-lokt 140 gr- He has much more success than I and recommends. I will see how they shoot from my Savage.
Good luck
Old 10-17-2010, 09:09 AM

I just filled my Cow Elk tag last week with my 7mm rem mag. She was ranged at 324 yards. I used a Federal Premium ammo loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tip. The bullet definitly did a great job, dropped her in her tracks. Sorry I dont have any pics of the damage.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM

I will be using ballistic tip 140 grain handloads for my cow elk this year as well as my mule buck. They worked fine for me last year on my whitetail buck . Down to my last 12 though . Then I have a bunch of factory stuff to try out , federal mostly and some pmc. I found the pmc 140 grain shot pretty much the same as my handloads of the same grain
Old 10-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

150grain siroccos in remington ammo.If I were you I would look in to reloading as I feel that all decent ammo is a rip off for any gun.Also make for way better ammo desighned for your gun...
Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. I always thought for game bigger then deer most people would go with a 160grain or bigger, but i guess not. Also, I appreciate the comments regarding the types of ammo. I would love to get into re-loading.
What is a rough estimate for how much it would cost to :

A: buy the stuff needed to do reloading and
B: by the supplies needed to reload (I already have a bunch of brass)

Thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I always thought for game bigger then deer most people would go with a 160grain or bigger, but i guess not.
Bullet construction means more than bullet weight.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Fusion 150 gr will put a smile on your face every single time!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I just filled my Cow Elk tag last week with my 7mm rem mag. She was ranged at 324 yards. I used a Federal Premium ammo loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tip. The bullet definitly did a great job, dropped her in her tracks. Sorry I dont have any pics of the damage.
This is the same ammo I use and it works very well.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM

I shoot 160's in my 7 mag all the time for a long time. started with partitions, then original x-bullets and lately swift a-frames. I think they are the most versatile grain for this cartridge.
Tipped over a bull moose last week with the a-frames and he went 10yards and stopped for a bit then another 10 yards and fell over - that was cool.
I'm gonna try those newer tipped a-frames next, happy hunting!