Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Default New Winchester Model 70 (FN-built)

I'm looking for reviews of this new revived Model 70, especially in terms of quality and the new trigger. All info appreciated!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned

Default fwt

I've had a fwt 300wsm old style..like a 2005 or so and a new (2008) ltd edition fwt in 30/06.

The new trigger is way better than on my 300wsm. and the checkering is also way better. The blueing on the fn model is not as nice as on the older models...it's more of a matte finish than what was on the new haven models.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:37 AM

I find that I have to clean my bore a lot more than some guys I know with Remmies or whatever. Something about tight tolerances or something. I haven't spoken to a gunsmith about it, so that may be bull.

It's also not really a problem. Cleaning a gun's a good habit to have.

Mine shoots better than I can, cycles smoothly and has given me no feeding problems or other issues at all... oh, and it's freaking gorgeous.

I agree with ruga about the bluing, though. I prefer the matte look, but it seems like these new ones pick up safe kisses a lot more easily than some of the older ones I've seen.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Default trigger

Just used a new CRF win Mod 70 fwt for a donor rifle to make my 358 norma. The feed out of the magazine is great, the finish is holding up nicely, but one of the best features is the new triggers. The adjustment is easy to do, and definitely adds to the grouping.