Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM

Default Fishing in the rain

I have heard that fishing when its raining can be very productive. I was just wondering if this is true or not???? And would it make much of a difference on a lake or on a river??
Old 07-22-2011, 10:29 AM

I nailed some nice bulls on the sheep river in the rain.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Default rain

If you google "barometric pressure" and effects on fishing you should find a ton of stuff, most will say 'yes' before and/or during rain, but will indicate slow fishing 'after' the rain.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 AM

"The best time to go fishin is when it's raining and when it aint"

Rancid Crabtree
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM

lol that is very true. Every day is the best day to go fishing!!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:47 AM

iv had some of the best days before a rainstorm. they get super aggresive. and the brown fishing on the bow is crazy in a rainstorm.

and 2x on the fishing being slow after a rain
Old 07-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Default !!!

ps. if you don't want to, yer next trip will be in a different province or ice fishing the way this year is going!!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

grub gets washed from shore and the leaves,,, it's shmorgasbord time for fish,, and presentation becomes key, your lure has to look tastier and an easier meal than that big dew worm that can't swim away.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
grub gets washed from shore and the leaves,,, it's shmorgasbord time for fish,, and presentation becomes key, your lure has to look tastier and an easier meal than that big dew worm that can't swim away.
It has nothing to do with that it all plays in the barometer as the barometer starts to fall the fish feed until it drops to a point and they stop and don't usually feed until the baromter starts to rise again so it is a balancing act between falling to much and not rising the barometer that is......read up on it u will understand....i could explain it better then typing it.........sorry
Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
It has nothing to do with that it all plays in the barometer as the barometer starts to fall the fish feed until it drops to a point and they stop and don't usually feed until the baromter starts to rise again so it is a balancing act between falling to much and not rising the barometer that is......read up on it u will understand....i could explain it better then typing it.........sorry
dude, I know about the barometric pressure n'all but the OP as I understood the question was asking about rain. And, read up on washout feeding frenzies,, or as Dace posted a ways back about fish schooling around storm sewers during a rain,, they aren't there due to milibars,, they are there for the sidewalk variety of grub comin down the pipe. I used to live by the Ferry that services the Sunshine Coast,,, the big Ling congregate almost like clockwork on the arrival and departure of the ferry,, mostly arrival when they have to kick into reverse,,, the bottom gets kicked up and the bite is on.

Quick note off thread; it's 2011, an odd year,, if anyone is interested in going for Pink Salmon on the fly and will be in Vancouver August 7th thru 21st, I highly recommend heading up to Davis Bay/Sechelt and flyfish from shore. You can actually do the trip from Vancouver by express bus to Horseshoe Bay, Langdon Ferry, bus stop right there at the arrival spot, tell the Bus driver to call out the Davis Bay stop,,, and bring your rods on the bus is normal,,, and total round trip cost including ferry (it's free back to the mainland) is $23.50,, pretty good for those on a tight budget.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
dude, I know about the barometric pressure n'all but the OP as I understood the question was asking about rain. And, read up on washout feeding frenzies,, or as Dace posted a ways back about fish schooling around storm sewers during a rain,, they aren't there due to milibars,, they are there for the sidewalk variety of grub comin down the pipe. I used to live by the Ferry that services the Sunshine Coast,,, the big Ling congregate almost like clockwork on the arrival and departure of the ferry,, mostly arrival when they have to kick into reverse,,, the bottom gets kicked up and the bite is on.

Quick note off thread; it's 2011, an odd year,, if anyone is interested in going for Pink Salmon on the fly and will be in Vancouver August 7th thru 21st, I highly recommend heading up to Davis Bay/Sechelt and flyfish from shore. You can actually do the trip from Vancouver by express bus to Horseshoe Bay, Langdon Ferry, bus stop right there at the arrival spot, tell the Bus driver to call out the Davis Bay stop,,, and bring your rods on the bus is normal,,, and total round trip cost including ferry (it's free back to the mainland) is $23.50,, pretty good for those on a tight budget.
I agree with fishman. I bet he fishes.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned

Few things in life or fishing are black and white....except for humanities ability to conceptualize them.

Rain and barometric pressure are inter-related....
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM

Good rain gear, good electronics, right presentation = never got wet, found fish, caught fish today.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

yes low pressure usually means rain,, however grub getting washed into the food chain is another great feature of rain.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Was on a like Mid June and a heavy rain fall stirred up the scuds. They were everywhere and the fish were going nuts! Was great fishing for 2 days after the rain. I think Gus has done his fair share of fishing btw.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Was on a like Mid June and a heavy rain fall stirred up the scuds. They were everywhere and the fish were going nuts! Was great fishing for 2 days after the rain. I think Gus has done his fair share of fishing btw.
Thanks Tackle,, I think we all have,,, I used to post good barom days but then thought I was being thought of as the loon fisherguy,, I also adhere to moon cycles, call me crazy.

Lotsa people on the threads this eve,,, is the ice too thin to walk on?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tackle,, I think we all have,,, I used to post good barom days but then thought I was being thought of as the loon fisherguy,, I also adhere to moon cycles, call me crazy.

Lotsa people on the threads this eve,,, is the ice too thin to walk on?
Ok... you're crazy and it's not even a full moon.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:37 PM

Today after some light rain the dry fly fishing was nuts which is the opposite of what usually works for me (nymphing under an indicator) in those circumstances. Just when I think I've figured out fish...
Old 07-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Also, when it rains bugs get onto the water, and it brings fish to the surface more because the rain acts as cover from predators such as hawks.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 PM
kingkongpennock

whether it is because of grubs falling into the water, baro pressure, or whatever, I have always caught fish in the rain. sometimes, the day would be going really slow, then the rain starts falling and BAM! FISH ON! So in my opinion, yes the rain helps to catch fish.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Its the cloud cover!!!!!!!......it doesnt have to rain...just block that sun and im happy.
unless im hopper fishing....sunny and windy is best