Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Cost of licenses

I know it's still cheap entertainment, but it hurts when you buy all the licenses on the same day! To fish within a 50 km radius of my home in Canmore - $127 !

That's Alberta resident, BC non resident, and Mountain National Parks.

IMO - Best value? BC license at $55 + tax. Since 2015 the entire license amount goes to the BC Freshwater Fisheries Society (out of reach of politicians) which handles their excellent stocking, habitat enhancement programs, and Learn to Fish programs.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:48 PM

This year I will most likely end up with AB, SK and BC(freshwater, saltwater, sturgeon and salmon stamps) licenses. Maybe an ON one too... Gotta pay to play lol.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:56 PM

Default Licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I know it's still cheap entertainment, but it hurts when you buy all the licenses on the same day! To fish within a 50 km radius of my home in Canmore - $127 !

That's Alberta resident, BC non resident, and Mountain National Parks.

IMO - Best value? BC license at $55 + tax. Since 2015 the entire license amount goes to the BC Freshwater Fisheries Society (out of reach of politicians) which handles their excellent stocking, habitat enhancement programs, and Learn to Fish programs.
Probably almost cost that much to ski, or golf for 1or 2 days.
You are getting to fish the whole season.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 AM

Your right..that cost is ridiculous...you and 400000 others should rebel and boycott fishing this year...I will enjoy the less crowded lakes
Old 04-01-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Probably almost cost that much to ski, or golf for 1or 2 days.
You are getting to fish the whole season.
I'm with you bro'. Imagine that guy whining about spending $127 per year to fish waters near him, when skiing and golfing can cost that much for a day!

They need to raise fishing fees to match the highest other recreational fees out there. $100 per day to fish should be seen as a bargain. That would make the annual license $36,500, but maybe they could offer a "frequent use" discount and set the annual license fee at only $10,000 per person, and a "per-day" fee of $100 for Alberta residents. That would seem fair, even a bargain really.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 AM

Not sure why people complain about this. A round at Stewart Creek is $200 bones, I think Silver Tip is $180. Take your kids and wife to the movies and out for supper is $150 bucks.
Pretty minimal really.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:57 PM

As a resident of this province you have a certain ownership of the resources of this province. Whenever a company cuts down a tree, they pay stumpage to the government, and the govt manages those moneys in part to provide programs for your benefit. Same thing whenever a company extracts a barrel of oil, they also pay royalties that help reduce your taxes, in a very good year Ralph even cut every adult in this province a cheque to directly distribute some of this wealth. Same thing for the waters and fisheries of this province -- you own them as an Albertan. If the government has to clean up or flood control waters, you pay for it in taxes as part owner of that resource. By the same token, you get to enjoy using the resource for free since you are part owner. All you have to pay for is perks that aren't part of the water resource itself, such as camp sites, dock fees, etc. Oh, and a bit to be licensed to fish the resource you are part owner of, including 2/3 of that fee going to enhance the resource for your benefit.

That is very different than paying for a service that is offered entirely by a private company, such as a golf course or a restaurant, where of course you should pay to use the facilities that you do not own and that are run as a business.

Not sure why people don't get the difference. If folks were charged an annual fee for the air you breathe, people would be outraged because air is considered something owned by all. If you are an Albertan, you are part owner of the water and fish within it and shouldn't be charged extra for using that resource, anymore than you should be charged a fee everytime you use your own backyard.