Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 07:49 AM

Default Early ice?

Yeah I know I'm crazy but if this keeps up...it will certainly come earlier this year. Long term forecast in the North and Central areas is calling for quite a few nights of -3 to up to -6 or -7 and single digit highs. I cannot recall a long spell in September, this early, this cold for this long.

On the up side I'm ordering two new ice tents on Monday and getting my auger fixed and tuned
Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yeah I know I'm crazy but if this keeps up...it will certainly come earlier this year. Long term forecast in the North and Central areas is calling for quite a few nights of -3 to up to -6 or -7 and single digit highs. I cannot recall a long spell in September, this early, this cold for this long.

On the up side I'm ordering two new ice tents on Monday and getting my auger fixed and tuned
Most definitely some early Ice... last year early november we were out fishing... now it could be october! haha. Crazy this global warming is really cooling things down. Funny thing is a Snowmobile magazine I was reading about 10 years ago was predicting this. Times have changed.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 09-16-2018, 10:27 AM

The water temperature has certainly dropped with this recent snow and cold rain. Haven't been to any of the big lakes to see if fall turnover Is underway earlier than normal but it wouldn't suprise me with the wind and cool weather.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Environment Canada has forecasted much warmer whether in later September and October. Much warmer being relative but in the double digits. I certainly wouldn’t be against an early freeze up.

Cheers.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:39 PM

Can't wait for this up coming ice fishing season always enjoy snaps whitefish posts and fishing doc ice videos !
Old 09-16-2018, 10:46 PM

Early ice would be nice. I remember ice fishing at pigeon in mid November one year. Had 5 to 6 inches of ice. Somehow I think we will still have some 20C + weather in October & November this year.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-17-2018, 01:31 AM

Before you get excited about early-ice based on a week of cold weather, don't forget that about 10 days ago, on September 7 this year, it was 26.1 C in Edmonton, and 27.8 C in Calgary.

We are still into early autumn, and it is anyone's guess as to whether this will be a normal, early, or late freeze-up, when freeze-up actually comes a couple months from now.