Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM

Default Outboard Repairs: Part 1

I have a 60 HP Evinrude from the late 70s I believe outboard that has a couple of problems. But I'll address them one at a time, unless someone has the patience to help a guy out by PM or what have you.

The first issue is the starter. When I turn the key to start the motor it engages and cranks the motor no problem. The motor then almost starts, (sputters or what have you) and the starter disengages despite the key still being turned. The gear which popped up to crank the motor drops and decelerates (making a hell of a whirling racket I might add), and due to the motor/carb not being tuned to perfection (a future thread) the motor then fails to start. I then have to wait for the starter drive gear to stop spinning (0.5-1.0 seconds) and do the dance again. The motor is a real pain to start because of the tuning it takes 5+ tries to get it to go. Or you need a second person with pinpoint timing on the choke.

The carb issue aside, i feel as though if I could get the starter to stay engaged and spinning as long as I held the key turned, I would get it to start. even just one extra second of cranking might do it.

Again, I get that tuning my carb is the ultimate solution. But envision that old crappy car that you've owned or heard that requires a long crank from the starter, nearly catches a couple times, then finally does. If the starter in that car disengaged automatically when it "almost" started, the old beater would never get enough in cranks to fire up.

Is this a starter problem, or are they designed to disengage automatically when they feel the engine take over?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:26 PM

Not much of a mechanic, I'm sure others with more expertise will chime in, but on my 90s era motor, the gear that pops up (the bendix) sometimes wouldn't fully engage the flywheel and would drop back, making what sounds like the same whirring sound you describe. I sprayed some graphite lube on the bendix shaft, and it improved the starting performance significantly.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 PM

Most all starter's will release like it's doing as the pressure is takin off the bendix spring when the engine try's to start, quite normal, bendix spring could also be getting weak too.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:35 PM

So is it fair to say priority should be in figuring out my hard start problem?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 AM

Fresh plugs and plug wires would be a good start(no pun intended), if they haven't been changed out in a while.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Yes, starter is working properly, check timing and carb syncro, they must be set up properly or it will be hard starting and poor idle.
2 stroke outboards use a manual timing advance that moves the stator plate in relation to the carbs, if either one's timing is off the motor will be tough starting.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM

I love those old OMC two strokes, check the usual suspects, spark, fuel pump, blocked/varnished carbs, etc...
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM

If your boat is in Edmonton, I could possibly look at it for you. Im no expert but do know a thing of two about them.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:40 PM

I'm in the Londonderry area. Boat is put away still on the south side for a couple weeks but I'd appreciate any help.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:27 PM

There is a fantastic group on facebook titled
Evinrude & Johnson Outboard Powered Boats & Speed Boats

You ask a question on there and there's several dozen mechanics that will pipe up and some will even walk you through it. Go there and ask a question on how to fix your johnnyrude, you wont regret it!