Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Multi day trip down bow River

Hello,

I have been wanting to do a multi day float down the bow River, my house in Bowness n.w. Calgary only 2 blocks from the river so I was hoping to start there and see where it takes me. Has anyone else done this and what are my options for getting around the weir?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:07 PM

Assuming you're talking about the WHD Weir/Harvie Passage by Pierce Estate park, you can't really go around it now since it's under construction. Or at least you might want to check it the night before since water levels and other obstructions are changing on the daily.

I also believe you have to portage around that area anyways as they have a barrier going across the river before the weir to keep kayakers and canoers out until it can be made safe again. A lot of folks have perished or nearly perished in that short stretch of water. It used to be called the drowning machine: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4277142/

You can actually see the barriers here 51.044761, -114.018886 on google maps in sat view.

I would say get out just after the bridge where you can see the rafts stacked up, portage around and put back in at the 17th Ave SE bridge or thereabouts.

Good luck and be careful!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:32 AM

Lots of people float from the south end of the city to either police mans flats just east of Okotoks or they go on to Carseland. The boat launch at police mans flats is gone after the flood though.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 AM

I have done it in the past, and here is what I would recommend.

I would go south of the city, much nicer float, and it would get you away from the weekend floatilla of dingys.

If you do go, please try to leave it how you found it. I have gone a few times and people always seem to think its okay to leave their garbage and toilet paper wherever they please.

Day 1: Policemans Flats to Mackinnons

This will take you 6-8 hours depending on wind, water speed and if you fish or not.

Above and below Mac, there are many islands that you can camp on. Lots of trees for cover and depending on the year, the bugs are not usually that bad.

Should be plenty of deadfall for you to burn in a campfire.

Day 2 Mackinnons to Carseland

Again another 6-8 float depending on conditions.

Cheers
Hope you enjoy