Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 PM

Default need boat and motor help please

after reading the mms posts i figured i would get the good and bad opinions on the subject. as of now, my plans are to buy a 15.5' hd seamax from kaygee fot $2000 and a 25hp 2 stroke evinrure etec from ecko marine for $4000. my plans are to fish it a bit in the lakes but mostly hunt the rivers with it. i found a new 25hp merc 25m from rainbow marine for $2500 but its bare bones manual everything. the evinrude seems to be a WAY better motor but is it worth the extra $1500? the merc is also 50lbs lighter. any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. as well any positive or negative experiences with these sellers would be great. thanks, steve
Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Well I can't comment on the mentioned dealers, or the Merc. but I have a 115 E-Tec, and it is an amazing motor. Wont go into details since a quick internet search will give you all the details. Just want to say as an owner you can't beat 3 years no maintance, 5 year warrenty, super low emissions and a 100/1 synthetic oil (you will have to get hem to change the factory settings for that but do it!) it always starts on 1/2 a revolution, unless there is something at the fuel line...he he..the power and acceleration is un real through out the powerband...when you say go...it goes no matter where you are in RPS, and the "SELF WINTERIZATION" what can be said...this alone saves a crap load of money. Every spring after 5 months of sitting i hook up the hose, turn teh key and it starts immediately, no smoke, and runs smooth. Lots of guys thought it was a 4 stroke due to the advanced exhaust system which is variable to compensate for trolling or WOT. The savings in maintance will pay the extra $1,500.00 in no time. Again no winterization at the shop, and no leg oil changes for 3 years..oh ya its WOT first time on the lake, no easy does it break in period. I have also had issues and BRP ha never given me any hassle with warrenty. In the shop, get it fixed, out the door, and everytime I could identify something outside the motor which caused the issue ie: Bad Gas, or a little opp's on my part...

As for the river.....man running any prop in the river is to be done with extreme caution and not reccomended...I have seen so many props and lower legs get smashed due to very rocks, shoals, debris. Something to think about.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm assuming the 25M Merc is a four stroke (I don't see any new 25HP 2 strokes on their website). FWIW, I can pull start my new 20HP 4 stroke Merc while facing forward and reaching under my left arm, super easy to pull and start.

If it's a NEW 25 HP 4 stroke merc for $2500, grab it and run. The MSRP is almost $4K.

Can't help with the dealers.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 PM

it is a 2 stroke merc. its a non current model. still new. i think it will be the evinrude. thanks for the info guys
Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 AM

I like Merc motors. Had a 115 since 1979 and it has never let me down. Can still easly pull 4 skiers on a 16 ft deep V Crestliner. The less weight IMO would be way better in its self, 50 lbs is a lot.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:48 AM

I bought a 15' Saturn from Kaygee last year and put a 20 HP on it this spring. I got a Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury (all the same motor) from Free Spirit Marine. They were the cheapest I was able to find in town.

It's 4 stroke, electric start and under $3,000.

My GPS had it at 20 MPH on the water with 3 of us in it yesterday.

See ya
Ace