Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Mesquitoes

What the best stuff for misqitoes when out camping and fishing. Are those candles or lateens any good?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:55 PM

Off is unpleasant, but unfortunately the best. I just spray some into the palm of my hand and then quickly wipe my arms neck and face. Re-apply into my palm as needed. Spraying directly on to any exposed bite areas is over applying. The stuff you mentioned may work slightly, but not good enough.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 PM

If there is not much wind I find that the citronella candles help a lot. Big fan of D-15 repellent unlike kokanee I try to never get it on my palms as I don't want everything i touch to have repellent on it. Especially if I am fishing. I have heard great things about thermocells but have yet to try one. I seem to sit on the smokey side of the firepit anyway. Even if I move.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:06 AM

I got some stuff, when heading to the tropics a few years ago, that was 30% DEET. Got it at Shopper's, I believe. Works great, but does need to be re-applied fairly frequently (every 3 hours or so) if you're sweating a lot...like 36-km hikes in warm weather in the mountains.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 AM

citronella works great, but yeah, wind = fail.

I just stick to OFF, but it's so crappy if you're planning to erm..dance around in a tent after
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 AM

my buddy tells me his thermocell works great im allergic to off so i will be buying thermocell soon
Old 07-24-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
If there is not much wind I find that the citronella candles help a lot. Big fan of D-15 repellent unlike kokanee I try to never get it on my palms as I don't want everything i touch to have repellent on it. Especially if I am fishing. I have heard great things about thermocells but have yet to try one. I seem to sit on the smokey side of the firepit anyway. Even if I move.
I always thought that was better than spraying it directly all over your exposed skin. I put 1 or 2 pumps from the bottle on my palm and then rub it on my arms etc. quickly. Most people I see apply directly with about 10-12 pumps of the bottle.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 AM

I heard thermocell works good, but i know for a fact the off candle with the wick that you insert in the top works great.I put it under the awning of the trailer when i was doing the bearings on the wheels and not a bug around.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 AM

ThermaCELL. !!!

I use only one when fishing or outside doing something.....gives me about 4.5 meter radius mosquito free coverage....

...we use two 9 meters apart if we have company over on the patio....

...windy days.. Be downwind of your units... Some mosquitos will get in... But nothing is perfect.. Canada day our group was mosquito free watching fireworks.. While all around us was swatting.. Spraying.. And complaining. Alwways bring one to the gun range... And have one in the vehicle in case I have to change a flat tire on a country road etc etc..
Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 AM

x2 on the thermacell. they are awesome! i take mine everywhere with me.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Don't know why

But stick a bounce sheet in your shirt pocket after rubbing your neck, ears and back of your hands with it, sounds crazy but hey, its cheap and affective.

Watkins has a great repellant, its awesome, we use that **** on everything, even horses, funny to watch the watkin horse stand snoozing while the one standing beside is stomping, switching and shakin its head
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo955 View Post
x2 on the thermacell. they are awesome! i take mine everywhere with me.

x3

orv.

do a search under the general discussion for thermacell
there should be a whole thread on them.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 AM

i use off. but what about mosquito anoyers
Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 AM

Haven't tried it yet, but I have heard Listerine (or any mouthwash with Eucolyptol as an ingredient... so not Scope) is a good deterrent. At the very least, you would smell minty fresh!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:41 AM

muskol 30% lotion works great for me when I'm scouting canola fields, lasts half a day and easy to apply to your face and ears without getting in your eyes or mouth, doesn't seem to run with sweat either. the Bens 30% with roll on applicator also works great cause then you dont get it on your palms.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 PM

back when i heard that the deet % was to be dropped i went out and bought all the 98% muskol thatbi could find. i am down to about 1/16 of a bottle left. it makes me cringe when people ask to use my repellant and i begrudginly hand it to them to see them squirt 15 to 20 squirts randomly over themselves and into the air instead of 2 to 3 squirts into their hands and rub it over themselves. anyway the thermacell is a close second to the 98% deet.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 PM

It's not effective as DEET but it's harmless - go get yourself some of the Insect Defend patches. Put one on before being exposed to the mosquitoes, they last 24 hours. They work by releasing Vitamin B1 into your skin and then it gets released from your pores and repels them. I rarely use bug spray anymore.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:22 PM

in my opinion, make sure you're set up before you apply the off or other skin lotions/sprays - i've heard fish don't like the smell/taste of that crap... who blames them..

secondly...

even on a warm day, you can wear clothes that cover you up as much as possible, and only have to worry about your hands and face... seems a great strategy for me, 3/3 times out this last week or so with long sleeves... no bites to show