Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Default Bear warnings!

Well i cant say that i didnt know i was in bear country, and i also cant say that i didnt hear the warnings on the news.
Anyway i was in the kananaskis fishing a secluded little spot i've been going to for years. All of my concentration was directed toward the water and more so the fish silloettes at the bottom. When im fishing my dog likes to stand directly under my feet. I usually end up tripping on him during the day.
Im standing at the edge of the creek and behind me is about 10 feet of open grassy area and beyond that is thick forest.
All of the sudden i hear something rustling in the bushes. I turn around, Hueston runs over, and a black bear calmly walks out of the woods. Not a big one, but twice the size of my sheltie. They end up face to face. I grab my bear spray and call HB2 back to me. The bear makes a quick dash back into the woods. I wasnt really scared of the small black bear, but i was concerned that mom wasnt too far away.

All this happened in about a 10 second span. No time for a picture.

Carry your spray if you are going out in the woods!

Fishstix!!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 AM

Holy Crap!
I'm glad you and the dog made it out. I have a feeling that my Sheltie would have exactly what it would take to convince a bear to eat her.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:00 AM

About 2 weeks ago close to K country (camping deep woods) We had a Grizzly mother and 2 cubs less than 1km from our campsite all day... we watched her for a long time and she eventually came too close for comfort. Used a couple bear bangers and got her and her cubs goin the other way before dark. Be weary campers and fishers.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Put a bell on your dog. I only do it for her safety and every little bit helps. It also lets me find her easier if she goes off exploring.

Usually she hangs out at my feet as well waiting for me to reel in something for her to look at.

I think my dog likes fishing more than me.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Default Common Sense

just keep in mind we're visiting their house. use common sense, and when moving up or down stream be loud especially in willow and thick bush you can't see to far ahead. sing.

Dace
Old 07-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Yup...spent 2 days last week in Elk Lakes PP (South of the Kananaskis lakes, on the BC side). Ran into a couple of Grizzlies on the way back across on Wed. morning. One took off as soon as he realized I was there. The other was upwind from me, on a trail through heavy brush. I took a couple of pictures while he was grazing, then talked to him, to get him to look at me, and he stood up on his hind legs, but couldn't smell me. I pulled out my launcher and a banger cartridge, and he took off as soon as it fired (before the charge detonated!). He hit full sprint when it went off. Methinks he'd experienced one before. Bangers and spray, guys. Good tools to have with you.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
Put a bell on your dog. I only do it for her safety and every little bit helps. It also lets me find her easier if she goes off exploring.

Usually she hangs out at my feet as well waiting for me to reel in something for her to look at.

I think my dog likes fishing more than me.
Some bears, especially cubbies are quite curious, I personally think bells are more of an attractant then a deterant imo. Could be wrong though.

Cheers!

P.S. - Glad you n your dog are ok Fishstix!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Where should a guy to in Edmonton to buy some bangers and spray?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Where should a guy to in Edmonton to buy some bangers and spray?
Yup. x2
I'm planning a camping/ fishing trip in Southern Alberta this week. I've never been down there and honestly, never spent much time anywhere where there could be bears. Bangers and spray are on my list before bacon now!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM

campers village
Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Agreed chubb, any backcountry outdoors store.. Not sure if you have Mountain Equiptment Coop in edmonton, but its a good start to.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnda View Post
Yup. x2
I'm planning a camping/ fishing trip in Southern Alberta this week. I've never been down there and honestly, never spent much time anywhere where there could be bears. Bangers and spray are on my list before bacon now!
Yup, bangers are the way to go! Very effective. Good to have the spray too. Whereabouts u planning on going?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Yup, bangers are the way to go! Very effective. Good to have the spray too. Whereabouts u planning on going?
Have another thread going to look for suggestions. So far Willow Creek or Beauvais lake provincial parks. Willow creek would be fun to fish the river but seems like Beauvais lake has a nice campground. We want to spend a few days camping in Southern Alberta on our way to BC.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM

Is it just me or is there ALOT of bear ativity this year? i was a lil nevouse after an encounter with a couger in my camp a few years ago at night while filling my generator, now am on edge for my camp in september and it is in bear country, go there every year but never see any bears!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 PM

Glad you're okay. I need to pick some anti bear/cougar stuff as I start exploring AB a little deeper.

Was talking to a guy at Upper K today, said he was there at 7am and saw a grizzly from the parking lot.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:40 PM

Thanks for sharing that. I have bear spray and don't always take it with me. Bad practice I know. How long does Bear spray last? Mine has got to be ten years old. I asked a guy this once and he went on about weighing the can when brand new and then every year after and when it has lost 10% of it's original weight it should be replaced. I don't have the scales to weigh it so I'm just wondering? Rick.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 PM

some info to keep people safe from not only bears but themselfs

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ar-banger.html
Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick. View Post
Thanks for sharing that. I have bear spray and don't always take it with me. Bad practice I know. How long does Bear spray last? Mine has got to be ten years old. I asked a guy this once and he went on about weighing the can when brand new and then every year after and when it has lost 10% of it's original weight it should be replaced. I don't have the scales to weigh it so I'm just wondering? Rick.
Cans are stamped with an expiration date, usually 3 years from the date of production. I call BS on the guy you talked with.

I even carry my spray on my wading belt, when fishing subalpine streams down here. It stays in my truck, unless it's strapped to me, between April and November.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor