Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Default Public land Elk

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some general info on some areas where the possibility of landing a public land Elk exist. Im not asking for any honey holes but I'm a newbie to Archery hunting and trying to get my feet on the ground. Off what I've gathered from researching elk on public land is hard to come by, but I'm willing to put some miles on the boots to get further in the back country.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:41 PM

Not sure what part of the province you’re in, but there are elk in most areas west of highway 2. Mind you the numbers may not be what you’re hoping for. Grande prairie/peace river area holds good numbers, but you need to be willing to go deep into the bush if you want to be successful. The areas with the most elk will also have the most competition (hunters). I am by no means an expert on elk, but I’ve chased them for a while. I used to chase elk in the deep bush along rivers in 339 west of lodge pole, but gave up a long time ago after not seeing many animals. If a backpacking “get away from it all” hunt is what you’re looking for, it’s a great experience; however I did not begin being successful until I started knocking on farmers doors half the distance to the city. That’s my opinion on it anyway, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps..
Old 08-28-2020, 11:55 PM

I’d suggest for your first year bowhunting get some permission and hunt whitetails. Once you’ve figured that out a bit find a hunting buddy who knows elk...
Old 08-29-2020, 08:23 AM

Tons of elk on public land, get out there and find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerMachine11 View Post
Not sure what part of the province you’re in, but there are elk in most areas west of highway 2. Mind you the numbers may not be what you’re hoping for. Grande prairie/peace river area holds good numbers, but you need to be willing to go deep into the bush if you want to be successful. The areas with the most elk will also have the most competition (hunters). I am by no means an expert on elk, but I’ve chased them for a while. I used to chase elk in the deep bush along rivers in 339 west of lodge pole, but gave up a long time ago after not seeing many animals. If a backpacking “get away from it all” hunt is what you’re looking for, it’s a great experience; however I did not begin being successful until I started knocking on farmers doors half the distance to the city. That’s my opinion on it anyway, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps..

Thanks for the tips, I'm down in Calgary and was planning on heading south and trying to get permission
Old 08-29-2020, 08:35 AM

Absolutely miles upon miles of public elk land in the “west country”, west of Calgary, red deer, Hinton/Edson areas. Up to you to find them buddy.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:52 PM

They’re out there, but they move around.

“That’s all I got to say about that”. Forest Gump
Old 09-01-2020, 10:02 PM

Saddle hills has all the elk. If you want deer it’s waiparous Free range hogs waiparous on the transalta road, sandhill Crain saddle hills or waiparous. Best of luck out there.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:36 AM

South of Grande Prairie toward the Kakwa. Lots of Grizz there so watch out.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:47 PM

Default huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Saddle hills has all the elk. If you want deer it’s waiparous Free range hogs waiparous on the transalta road, sandhill Crain saddle hills or waiparous. Best of luck out there.
You would be hard pressed to find a hog or a Sandhill Crane in the Waiparous area.

Tags
elk hunting