Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

Default gun barrel from USA to Canada. How?

So I have a 1300xtr shotgun with sentimental value. It has a 28" barrel on it and I'd like to get a 22" barrel for it for upland work. I have found a 22" barrel in the states but the company does not ship internationally. http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...rels/611001321

I have not been able to locate the barrel here in canada. What are my best options for getting the barrel up here? I will likely be going to phoenix this winter. would I have any problems buying a barrel in the states and bringing it across the border myself? Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 AM

If you are looking to source a barrel out of the states, Talk to Ian Hames @ http://www.riflebarrels.ca/

Otherwise there are several very good barrel makers in Canada.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM

Ian does not bring in shotgun barrels, nor are there any Canadian shotgun barrel manu. in Canada to my knowledge.
You cannot bring the barrel back with you from the US. Canadian import laws are not the problem, it is the US export laws that will get you in trouble. Your best bet is to find someone that will take care of the export/import issue for you. It wont be cheap. These folks do a lot of that type of thing. http://www.questar.ca/
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 PM

1st You will need to find a US based licensed exporter, who is willing to work with you. You may want to try Daves Sports in Lynden WA 306-354-5591
Once an exporter is found you will need to apply for an IIC or International Import Certificate from DFAIT in Ottawa, once you have the IIC from Ottawa, you can send it along with a purchase order and DSP83 form that the US exporter can provide, to the exporter. He will in turn apply to the US Commerce dept or DOS in order to get an export permit. This all takes a few months to get in place.
There is no cost to apply for and recieve the IIC, most US exporters charge a few couple dollars now to get the permits as they are NOT free.
Be aware that dealing with DFAIT or worse CBSA will result in contradictory policy interpretations and rulings. It seems no 2 government agents can come up with the same " how it is really done" plan.
I have been importing US goods for many years and although have good working knowledge of both countries rules, those who enforce these same rules do not always know what they are talking about especially when firearms are involved.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

Default thanks

Thanks for the responses guys.. Sounds like a real mess trying to get something like that up here. Yeesh. Maybe I'll just glue a bunch of toilet paper rolls together.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 PM

be sure to wrap them in paper mache, or better yet, go grab some 5/8" copper tubing, and get that sweet orange look!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 AM

Sorry guys I missed the part about it being a shotgun barrel.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-