Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Banned

Why not skylights for windows if wall space is a priority? Skylights and doors with a window..

How about a drain of some sort? Even if it just leads to a bucket out side?
Old 12-10-2019, 11:22 AM

You may want to check what insurance is going to cost before you put a wood floor in. You may be surprised at what the insurance rates will be because it's a higher risk of fire.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Just a comment on the out swing man door. Great that it doesn’t eat up floor space when open, but they are ridiculously easy for theifs to break into if that’s a concern where you are. Had a house broken into at work this summer, crowbar in the door reveal and lots of leverage room to pop open. Inside in seconds, just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain91 View Post
Just a comment on the out swing man door. Great that it doesn’t eat up floor space when open, but they are ridiculously easy for theifs to break into if that’s a concern where you are. Had a house broken into at work this summer, crowbar in the door reveal and lots of leverage room to pop open. Inside in seconds, just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand, that’s if they have a tool. Most doors yield to being kicked or otherwise knocked in, which is more difficult with an out-swing door. There are trade-off’s. Out swing is also better for egress safety, note how many public and business doors are out swing for this reason. A strike plate overlap will help against prying the frame wider.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 PM

Wow! Glad I've got til spring/summer to plan this.
You folks have some great ideas and considerations.

Many thanks to you all.
It won't be for a while, but I'll post pics.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
On the other hand, that’s if they have a tool. Most doors yield to being kicked or otherwise knocked in, which is more difficult with an out-swing door. There are trade-off’s. Out swing is also better for egress safety, note how many public and business doors are out swing for this reason. A strike plate overlap will help against prying the frame wider.
Out swings are almost 3 x the cost of an in swing and have unfavorable thermo dynamics in a heated building. They tend to warp. That's why you see so few of them.

Grizz
Old 12-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Out swings are almost 3 x the cost of an in swing and have unfavorable thermo dynamics in a heated building. They tend to warp. That's why you see so few of them.

Grizz
What? Am I missing something here? A prehung door can be installed in either direction. The insulation value doesn’t change; it’s insulation not a check valve.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
What? Am I missing something here? A prehung door can be installed in either direction. The insulation value doesn’t change; it’s insulation not a check valve.
An out swing door is located on the cold side of the wall, makes a difference how the metal expands and contracts with temperature. Trust me.

Grizz
Old 12-11-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
An out swing door is located on the cold side of the wall, makes a difference how the metal expands and contracts with temperature. Trust me.

Grizz
In a pre hung door frame how does the facing of the door matter? The cost is the same as it’s the same door. Regardless of which way you swing a door it is both on the cold and warm wall regardless. What am I missing? I guess the hinges are mounted to the cold side but I really don’t see how it would matter, especially in a building that won’t likely be heated full time.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:48 PM

Actually, if you measure a 4x8 sheet of plywood kitty corner, it is 107 inches, just under 9 feet.. If you allow for lights hanging down, and floor on your slab, I would recommend 10.5 feet, which is what I did. Paint the ceiling gloss white barn paint from Peavy Mart, and use 4 tube T-8 fixtures, wiring 2 tubes from each fixture on one circuit, the other 2 on another. Run one 4 wire cable from fixture to fixture. That gives you options on lighting. I also vote for windows. I have 2' x 4' windows with about 1 foot between them all around the shop. Most are fixed pane, 4 are awning windows, hung upside down, so I can access the cranks with a long pole. Works great.

Vic
Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Banned

Cat5e or cat 6 for internet cause wifi boosters are a pain. Rg6 coax for satalite and or cams. Put 6 light boxes in ceiling. And light boxes 7ft up wall for bench lights
Old 12-12-2019, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Actually, if you measure a 4x8 sheet of plywood kitty corner, it is 107 inches, just under 9 feet.. If you allow for lights hanging down, and floor on your slab, I would recommend 10.5 feet, which is what I did. Paint the ceiling gloss white barn paint from Peavy Mart, and use 4 tube T-8 fixtures, wiring 2 tubes from each fixture on one circuit, the other 2 on another. Run one 4 wire cable from fixture to fixture. That gives you options on lighting. I also vote for windows. I have 2' x 4' windows with about 1 foot between them all around the shop. Most are fixed pane, 4 are awning windows, hung upside down, so I can access the cranks with a long pole. Works great.

Vic
4 wire hmm hard to find 4 wire loomex. Install keyless and put led cob bulbs. T8s don't work good in unheated environments. T5s are the new t8s
Old 12-12-2019, 06:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Higher walls, 2x6 construction, windows for ventilation,natural light for the days your in shop working, ceiling electrical plug in, natural gas heating, two exhaust fans, and then all the rest added in by other posts give or take a few....good luck.

Oh and sliding doors cuz you never want to really limit yourself as to what comes in and goes out.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-12-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
4 wire hmm hard to find 4 wire loomex. Install keyless and put led cob bulbs. T8s don't work good in unheated environments. T5s are the new t8s
LED's work in unheated garage.

Tags
shed, shop, workshop