Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 08:30 AM

There is always the idea of showing his the true meaning of this season that is approaching rather fast. Why don't you both volunteer at a food bank or other worth while cause and teach him the value of giving his time to the less fortunate... This lesson of giving will be more valuable than any material type of gift.

We are so lost in the commercial aspect of the season, wishing you all health and happiness.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:36 AM

How about a toolbox with one or two nice hand tools? Then on each subsequent special occasion you give another decent tool. By the time he's ready to start making a life for himself in the world he'll have a full tool box and possibly a lot of find memories of tinkering on things together with you.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason crozier View Post
Thanks guys for the many ideas. I see a common theme of an outdoors trip/father son excursion. I tend to think that’s a good idea as he does seem to have too much material things. Being in Gillam is an outdoorsmans paradise that I should capitalize on with my son. Time with dad is likely very important for him at this age. Soon he won’t want much to do with his parents. Lol
^^^^THIS^^^^ My oldest is 17. We used to do everything together...shooting, archery, RC trucks. He's in grade 12, got a part time job, a car and a girlfriend. Now I hardly ever see him it seems. (actually we still do a lot together)
Now I tell my friends who are new parents to cherish every moment...even the temper tantrums and the diaper changes. It's not that long before you are lucky to see them.
Build the experiences now and it set the groundwork for him wanting to be part of you life in the future. In my own experience my father was a catskinner and away on pipeline work (when we were allowed to build them) 9 months of the year and never built those experiences. Once I moved out at 18 I made a point of seeing him at least once or twice a year.
Felt pretty bad when he passed 10 years ago.
Material things are nice...time together is way nicer.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Gifts for a 13 year old

Since you already live in Northern Manitoba. A suggestion since the train is running to Churchill, book a trip on the Tundra Buggies to view the Polar Bears.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 AM

maybe get him some trapping supplies?
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 11-27-2018, 10:18 AM

Get him snaring wire for rabbits and squirrels.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
How about a toolbox with one or two nice hand tools? Then on each subsequent special occasion you give another decent tool. By the time he's ready to start making a life for himself in the world he'll have a full tool box and possibly a lot of find memories of tinkering on things together with you.
That’s a good idea. I started putting tools together when I was 16 after I bought my truck. Wish I had more tools then I could buy at the time working part time or on the farm. So a tool box at that age he can learn and learn to appreciate tools
Old 11-27-2018, 10:33 AM

When my son was slightly older than your son I took him to Florida for a week with the intention of Scallop Hunting.
A bad storm a day before we arrived shut down our plans , so we rented a Hummer and toured South Florida wave bashing every beach we could find.
He is mid 20's now and still talks about that Guys only trip.
Found some deserted beach and taught him how to drive the Hummer.

https://www.riverventures.com/blog/2...catch-scallops

Combo tours let you scallop hunt and swim with Manatees
Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
I second this. Too many people have forgotten how to do things for themselves. Get him nice tools he will use and he will learn basic skills necessary later on in life. Since you mentioned he has a dirt bike and a sled, perhaps you could use them to teach him basic things like oil changes, light replacements, tire or track changes. This would allow you to spend time with your boy as well.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-27-2018, 11:31 AM

Get him something that will increased in value as he gets older , start a Canadian mint coin collection or something on that line ?
If he has everything else maybe its time to look at future for him or something he can pass on to his kids.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:36 AM

Yearly fishing trip to BC?

Exploration flight at the nearest airport? That could lead to Cadets and commercial pilot.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-27-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Costco has some pretty sweet looking Nerf guns for sale right now. Haven't tried one, but they looks like they could be fun. The inclusion of the face masks give me hope they actually have some velocity behind them, but they could just be their for liability reasons.
Picked these up for my buddies kids birthday. They have enough velocity to go through shower curtains
Old 11-27-2018, 04:57 PM

If he likes to shoot, gongs are a lot of fun.

3/16 AR500 for rimfire use.
We've got a 'confidence' array of rimfire gongs. 6, 4, 3,2 inch gongs. Lots of fun working on your skills.
Some gopher swingers would be fun for the kids.

Dad would have fun too.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:35 PM

Tons of great replies fellas. Hopefully someone else can get an idea or two for their own use. Sure helps to see others perspectives on the subject
Thanks and cheers
Jay
Old 11-27-2018, 09:55 PM

Take him down to the local soup kitchen Christmas eve so he understands how fortunate he really is . Then ask him what he would like.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:13 AM

Hello! I completely understand you. I had an idea about a laptop as a present, but he's too young for it, as I think. I decided it's a good idea to present some vouchers for sport sections or some cool things like darts, ping-pong table, foosball table for him playing it with his mates.
I know, my boy will be happy to get anything from that list, don't know about yours, but I'm sure that ideas are pretty good for teens presents.
Oh, by the way, if you know his preferences, you may present him a ticket on a sport game or something else he likes.
Good luck!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Take a trip

Any trip would not only be great time but certainly something that you will both remember and talk about for many years. I would try and do something that you guys haven't done before or have never been to.
Fishing, hunting, hiking, sports trip, etc.

I don't remember hardly anything I received at Christmas as a kid but I still remember the fishing trips dad took my brother and I on. We would load up the truck, and drove north (SK & MB border) until we reached a lake that we wanted to try. Fished there for a day or 2 and then drove to a new one that we had never been to.

When dad turned 60, I took him to Lake of the Woods in Ont. We talked about going there for years as a kid, better never went. I surprised him with this trip and we had a great time. Way better memories on a trip/experience than just a gift of a toy etc. Most kids might not get it at their age but as they get older, this will all make sense. It did for me anyways.

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:18 AM

My nephew has the Rival nerf guns, they do have some velocity and zing along much faster than the typical dart. Can easily shoot them from one end of the house to the other.

Picked up these for my kid the other day. Canadian Tire has them right now for $60 but can also be found at Wal-Mart, Costco, Amazon, etc.

Kinda looking forward to trying them myself....
Old 12-06-2019, 12:26 PM

Knife is a great idea. A knife building class for both of you would be even better!
Old 12-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
Get him a customized Buck knife with an engraving? I am 30 and have all the stuff I need but would still love a good quality Buck knife with an engraving from my Dad.
I have a Buck 110 engraved from my Dad for Christmas 1987. It's one of my most precious possessions.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:46 PM

He may already have this...

An avalanche awareness course for sledders plus the safety gear to go with it. Do the course in the mountains and then head out for some safe sledding afterwards. Can make for a week of memories and training lasts forever.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-06-2019, 12:47 PM

Default Good luck happy holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason crozier View Post
As the title says looking for gift ideas for my son who seems to have everything he needs already. Has hunting and fishing gear, tools, dirt bike and sled, gear for both seasons. Keep him off the gaming systems and I am stumped for an Xmas gift this year. What’s everyone thinking of for their sons this year?
I'm guessing Red Ryder BB gun is out of the question.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
He may already have this...

An avalanche awareness course for sledders plus the safety gear to go with it. Do the course in the mountains and then head out for some safe sledding afterwards. Can make for a week of memories and training lasts forever.
He lives in Manitoba.
I agree its a great course but not likely a priority if he doesn't go out to the mountains skiing or sledding.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
He lives in Manitoba.
I agree its a great course but not likely a priority if he doesn't go out to the mountains skiing or sledding.
Agreed. I live in Jasper and see many Manitoba sledders heading to BC. Just a suggestion like any of the other trips suggested.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-06-2019, 04:50 PM

A good first aid kit, a small survival kit,
Old 12-06-2019, 05:06 PM

if he has a knife,perhaps a sharpening system would be in order with instruction on how to use it correctly.Another thought would be a really good pair of snowshoes,something he may enjoy the rest of his life.How about a top end sleeping bag and or quality tent.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
A good first aid kit, a small survival kit,
i like it
Old 12-08-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
I'm guessing Red Ryder BB gun is out of the question.
Nice!!! How many people know that Christmas Story, classic. Well played.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:05 AM

I second the salt gun for shooting flies! Good fun on out door bbqs. Send him into the fish cleaning shack for a shoot before you bring your catch in.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:41 PM

Default Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Has he got a drone? (if you live in the country)

Salt shotgun for flies?

3d printer and good program?

Air rifle for practise?

Archery gear?

Tools?

I think tools (if you haven’t already got him some) is an awesome idea. My dad bought me a decent set of screwdrivers, a solid toolbox, and a few sets of pliers when I was 5/6 years old. I grew into them and have since bought many, many replacements/upgrades. But I still have most of them, and they remain staples for work around the house.