Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
They are similar in the initial phase in that carbs are limited. They differ due to the amount of protein consumed in Atkins. Too much protein (above your macros) on Keto and the body starts to convert it to "sugar" and treat it as it would carbs for fuel or storage (fat).

Here is my before and after pictures so far.

Cheers,

Scott.
Your beard takes up way more of your face now.

Well done
Old 01-30-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Your beard takes up way more of your face now.

Well done
Lol, a by-product of increased testosterone attributed to my ability to actually exercise.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:21 PM

When I returned from SoCal in April, I didn't recognize my fishin buddy & it wasn't the beard. Over the past summer, fall and first ice season, while out fishin with Scott he hasn't wavered from his diet. He regularly offers me something he's munching on, and we talk about his commitment, progress and improved health not just his own but his family, too, Which I admire and consider commendable.

I also benefit from KETO, I have someone who takes me fishin, who's going to be around and healthy for a long time. Just have to figure out how to catch more fish/bigger fish vs taking pictures of Scott with all the fish.

Congrat's Scott .....

D.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:42 PM

Very nicely put..

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
They are similar in the initial phase in that carbs are limited. They differ due to the amount of protein consumed in Atkins. Too much protein (above your macros) on Keto and the body starts to convert it to "sugar" and treat it as it would carbs for fuel or storage (fat).

Here is my before and after pictures so far.

Cheers,

Scott.
The diference is unbelievable, good for you,cheers.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
On day 28, by far the easiest diet I have been on. Food had been great,and never hungry, have to force my self to eat.
Over here! I have been on Keto diet for two months now and it's amazing! I have started with Keto diet because I wanted to burn some of mine fat supplies (god knows that I have lots of them ) and it's really working. Plus it has also some other benefits! Maybe it is just me but I feel that I have more energy than before! Long story short: I love it!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
x2 for me kinda. But I don't body build. I lift weights tho

I tend to fluctuate 30-35 lbs throughout the year depending on what Im doing. Im usually heaviest June-September at around 235lbs. Then I peel it off to about 196-205 . Nothing really changes other than my intake. I eat the same stuff, just a lot less. My diet is fairly Keto I guess when I think about it....Im not adverse to carbs but the foods rich in them are not my favorites ....

Best thing is that I get to have two wardrobes.!!!!!! Second best thing is no matter if Im 235 or 196, my pants are still the same waist size.....that makes things easier because jeans aren't cheap
It’s an absolute game changer for sure. Grain and dairy farmers nightmare though. Grain and dairy farmers definitely don’t want people
To know that you will improve your quality of life by getting rid of that junk...
Old 01-31-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I should have mentioned I follow keto gains. They do not promote stuffing your face full of fat and butter in your coffee lol. Im sure you already know they follow the high protein, medium fat and low carb.

Check it out if you have not seen the facebook group. Some shredded people and body builders on that page.
Will do!! Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
On my second week now. First week was a little rough coming off sugar, I’m a big pop drinker. This week is a breeze. Started at 255.8lbs, currently at 246.4lbs.
Moving in the right direction!
My first diet ever, never hungry. Just have to remind myself to plan ahead and have what I’m making thawed etc.
I’m using Carb Manager to track my macros. It was recommended by a member back in September when I was researching the diet. It’s a great tool I find. He gave me a bunch of good info.
Seems like it’s working for a lot of us in the outdoor community. Great results! I’m hoping to join you all with the success in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great to hear!
I transitioned off shortly before Christmas, put on few pounds, but the skidoo pants now fit me better than ever!

Will be going back on it in a couple weeks once all the crap food we ended up buying is all gone.

Someone else here mentioned you can't drink beer. Check your macros, 1 can Michelob Ultra was able to fit in my diet a couple times a week. There are a couple other choices, though not as easy to find. Costco now carries this brand.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 AM

Me and my wife have been real interested in this but really have no idea how to make the change especially with a 7 year old daughter and the schedule of activities. Seems very overwhelming. Old habits I guess are very hard to break.

BH

Old 01-31-2019, 10:20 AM

Funny this thread has popped up, I have been exploring this the past couple weeks and it seems very doable even with working out of a camp half the time. My only concern is like anything on he net there is great info and crap info, how to filter what?? What site is a good site to follow?? Talking with a person in the fitness world, she was telling me of a nurse friend of her's that works in ER, and has seen lot's of people not doing Keto correct and feeling ill with fatty livers and such. So I am excited to try this but don't want to do it improperly.

I am guessing these cases are people who hear Bacon is approved, and figure it's ok to eat 2 pounds a day, but all the same I want good info.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:31 AM

Must be a good diet - even the fish look slimmer

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-31-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
That's great to hear!

I transitioned off shortly before Christmas, put on few pounds, but the skidoo pants now fit me better than ever!

Will be going back on it in a couple weeks once all the crap food we ended up buying is all gone.

Someone else here mentioned you can't drink beer. Check your macros, 1 can Michelob Ultra was able to fit in my diet a couple times a week. There are a couple other choices, though not as easy to find. Costco now carries this brand.

Thanks! I really appreciated the info!

Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Funny this thread has popped up, I have been exploring this the past couple weeks and it seems very doable even with working out of a camp half the time. My only concern is like anything on he net there is great info and crap info, how to filter what?? What site is a good site to follow?? Talking with a person in the fitness world, she was telling me of a nurse friend of her's that works in ER, and has seen lot's of people not doing Keto correct and feeling ill with fatty livers and such. So I am excited to try this but don't want to do it improperly.

I am guessing these cases are people who hear Bacon is approved, and figure it's ok to eat 2 pounds a day, but all the same I want good info.

Thanks for any help.
Join Real world keto and Ketogains on facebook. They are 2 legit groups
Old 01-31-2019, 12:58 PM

My wife is under going some pretty aggressive Kemo and Radiation treatments right now for a brain tumor. She is on a modified Ketogentic diet which in itself is more of a Metabolic approach. It has minimized the side affects of the treatments and actually has some of the medical staff we're dealing with asking her what drugs she's taking. You can't cut of the food supply to cancer cells but you can certainly make it harder for them to get the types pf nutrients they need. I briefly mentioned the type of diet she was on and they scoffed at it. I've been supporting her by eating what she does and have lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Join Real world keto and Ketogains on facebook. They are 2 legit groups
Thank you, i will take a look.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
My wife is under going some pretty aggressive Kemo and Radiation treatments right now for a brain tumor. She is on a modified Ketogentic diet which in itself is more of a Metabolic approach. It has minimized the side affects of the treatments and actually has some of the medical staff we're dealing with asking her what drugs she's taking. You can't cut of the food supply to cancer cells but you can certainly make it harder for them to get the types pf nutrients they need. I briefly mentioned the type of diet she was on and they scoffed at it. I've been supporting her by eating what she does and have lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks.
Hoping the best for you and the wife.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:22 PM

Default Thanks for the Thread

The wife and I were going through this thread, last night, We were on the Akins diet a few years ago, but have slowly gone off it, put on the weight again and were talking of going back on it. After this thread we decided to go on the Keto Diet. Today is Our first day on it. We cleaned out the Pantry and have 4 big boxes to go to the food bank tomorrow. Thanks again for the thread.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
The wife and I were going through this thread, last night, We were on the Akins diet a few years ago, but have slowly gone off it, put on the weight again and were talking of going back on it. After this thread we decided to go on the Keto Diet. Today is Our first day on it. We cleaned out the Pantry and have 4 big boxes to go to the food bank tomorrow. Thanks again for the thread.

Best of luck!

Old 01-31-2019, 08:11 PM

Can you eat wild game on the diet
That would mean no more rye and cokes 😳
Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Can you eat wild game on the diet
That would mean no more rye and cokes 😳
Wild meat ? of course Rye is OK...straight up or soda water
Old 01-31-2019, 08:28 PM
Banned

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

I started with this program and I'm still with them
Old 01-31-2019, 08:39 PM

Real World Keto is a great group on Facebook. Ketogains for setting up your macros.

Just on a sidenote. Extra protein is not converted to sugar. Gluconeogenesis is the process, it is a demand driven process, not supply driven. If you are in such a huge glycogen deficit your body will convert some protein to glycogen, but don't worry about protein converting to cake. Thats just silly.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
Real World Keto is a great group on Facebook. Ketogains for setting up your macros.

Just on a sidenote. Extra protein is not converted to sugar. Gluconeogenesis is the process, it is a demand driven process, not supply driven. If you are in such a huge glycogen deficit your body will convert some protein to glycogen, but don't worry about protein converting to cake. Thats just silly.
Keto gains has there own facebook group that is very informative
Old 01-31-2019, 08:50 PM

TB, they do. It's a little more geared towards lifters and athletes, but it is a great resource. Anyone that is having trouble getting gains while on keto can get great info there.

As for me, I stick to RWK. Just trying to lose, and too lazy to get to the gym, lol.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:50 PM

Interesting thread... as I have been doing the intermittent fasting (IF) for 5 months now lost 40lbs to date and the debate now is to do the Keto diet.... just to change things up... I try and keep my lunch to minimal carbs, just protein, meat eggs cheese, and then a regular dinner... the nice thing about the IF is that there isn't really a diet restriction unless you want to ... I don't count calories or weigh my food I go by how I feel and what the scale says..... by far the easiest diet I've ever been on..... but a lot of people on IF do Keto with it for crazy results.... this may be another game changer for me!!!!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:36 AM

Has anyone looked into or gotten into the Adaptive Body Boost program? Thomas DaLauer? Seems pretty good but weary of these internet celebrities, are they knowledgeable or just trying to push their product??
Old 02-03-2019, 08:42 AM

What happens to your body the second you go off Keto?This might be a good fad to lose some weight but I doubt it would be a long term way to eat healthy.If you have a family of 4 or 5 are you cooking everything seperate for yourselves or are the kids stuck on this too.And are you getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs or just eating pills from a health food store.Cutting out excess sugar from your diet makes a healthy choice but totally cutting out carbs does not make sense to me.You can still have a very healthy and strong body and mind by eating properly-with carbs and exercise.Diets never last.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
What happens to your body the second you go off Keto?This might be a good fad to lose some weight but I doubt it would be a long term way to eat healthy.If you have a family of 4 or 5 are you cooking everything seperate for yourselves or are the kids stuck on this too.And are you getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs or just eating pills from a health food store.Cutting out excess sugar from your diet makes a healthy choice but totally cutting out carbs does not make sense to me.You can still have a very healthy and strong body and mind by eating properly-with carbs and exercise.Diets never last.

Keto is not a FAD diet. I know people who have followed this way of eating for years. My doctor actually supports and follows this way of eating and has nothing but good things to say. My Muay Thai/boxing coach follows this way of eating and encourages and helps others to try it out. The energy alone from this way of eating is amazing. No carb crashes thats for sure

I also know many who have cured or dramatically eased all sorts of medical issues switching to this way of eating.

If I went and had carbs today, say a big sandwich. My bloodpressure shoots up, I get super sluggish and tired, irritable etc.

Carbs are bad and you can get a strong body on any diet but it doesnt mean you are healthy. Far from it sometimes.

The fact you ask if we have to eat a bunch of pills tells me you have done little to no research on this "fad" you are commenting on. The only vitamin I take is magnesium as it helps me sleep at night. Anyone I know who is on this way of eating does not need any vitamins. Eat the right food and you will never need vitamins. Join a legit Keto facebook group. People are constantly getting bloodwork done to compare to there pre-keto times and that changes happening are always for the better longterm.

My friends kid has crazy bad psoriasis and they heard Keto helps, you can almost not tell he has psoriasis at all now as keto help him alot.

Look at the keto sites that provide scientific support. People will argue to death that you need carbs but those are the ones that cannot break the addiction.

Last edited by troutbug; 02-03-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Banned

I was blaming the wrong appliance for my clothes shrinking, thought it was the dryer when it is actually the fridge