Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-06-2016, 10:52 AM

Default Suffield elk hunters wanted for inteview

Hey all!

I am writing a story about the Suffield elk issue, and I am looking for one or two hunters who have been there and have hunted on or off base. (Ideally one of each!)

You don't have to have been successful. I just want to know your general opinion of how the hunt works, if the management strategy seems to be effective, and any other comments you may have relating to the opportunity to harvest an elk there. Obviously, it has to be having some economic spin-off for the immediate area, even if it is an inconvenience for the landowners surrounding the base.

Please message me your name, number and a brief synopsis (one or two lines) of your experience. If you have photos you can email me, that would really help too! Ideally, I am looking to interview a couple of people today.

Thanks a bunch!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Proof you are not afraid of controversy....

Perhaps the thread should be moved to the hunting forum.

I haven't hunted there, but can offer you a copy of the latest Suffield Elk management gov review. It was supposed to be released to the public last year.... I guess IT is a bit backed up.

Who is publishing the article?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-06-2016, 12:41 PM

I agree I will move it , you may get some quicker responses
Cat
Old 07-06-2016, 01:03 PM

My experience is I waited 10 years to get my Draw. Then I went hunting for 9 days and never saw more than a 3 point bull outside the base and less than 40 Elk. Basically was a waste of a decade of draw points. I was outside the base and had some of the best known permission at the time as well and stayed at a local landowners who owned a pile of land next tot he base.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:32 PM

Default Suffield

You'll need more then two peoples opinion to get a real taste of what's happening. some really like the hunt and some will never do it again, be ready for some very strong opinions.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Banned

I'll do it.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 PM

With what went on there I would think its in every hunters interest to pass on this interview.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
With what went on there I would think its in every hunters interest to pass on this interview.
X2
The hunt is a joke in a lot of ways and I will leave it at that......
Old 07-06-2016, 05:00 PM

It's not a hunt. It's a cull. My experience is dangerous, terrified animals and many safety violations
Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

I would love to interview everyone, but I have extended the word count as much as I can already.

The story will tell the history of how the elk came to be there, how the hunt was initially implemented, and why it took so long.

It will deal with the damage the elk are causing local landowners, the challenges of making the base accessible to hunters, the success of the hunt, the apparent outward off-base spread of the elk into other areas, and some of the (non-pretty) issues about the hunt (cull) itself.

I have written about Suffield before for AP magazine (and actually just won a first place national journalism award for that) so I am not unfamiliar with the sensitivities involved. The material will be used for Cowboy Country Magazine (a national publication), as well as Alberta Beef Magazine and the Alberta Conservation Association magazine. Each publication will get a slightly different article because of the different audience involved, but the material I gather could be in all three.

I'm a hunter and have been reporting on wildlife and agriculture issues for more years than I would like to admit at this point.

I can understand why some of you would not want the details coming out about the less pretty aspects of the Suffield hunt, but in my experience, nothing ever gets better by staying quiet.

There are quite a few of you that are willing to talk, and I really appreciate that. I am not sure because of time constraints if I will have time to interview everyone, so if you are willing to go on the record, please email me at sherimonk@gmail.com and I will reply with a few email questions. That way I have the best opportunity to collect as many responses as possible, which will help me paint a more accurate picture.

Thanks everyone!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM

Looking forward to sharing my 2 cents if you need it...E-mail sent your way.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Hey all!

I am writing a story about the Suffield elk issue, and I am looking for one or two hunters who have been there and have hunted on or off base. (Ideally one of each!)

You don't have to have been successful. I just want to know your general opinion of how the hunt works, if the management strategy seems to be effective, and any other comments you may have relating to the opportunity to harvest an elk there. Obviously, it has to be having some economic spin-off for the immediate area, even if it is an inconvenience for the landowners surrounding the base.

Please message me your name, number and a brief synopsis (one or two lines) of your experience. If you have photos you can email me, that would really help too! Ideally, I am looking to interview a couple of people today.

Thanks a bunch!
IronNoggin wrote a great story on his Suffield hunt, really I enjoyed it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...light=Suffield
Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 AM

One thing I never hear mentioned, is how elk are native to the area. How elk came to be there now, is through a reintroduction to native range. I am happy that they have been brought back to this area, and hope more efforts are made to make wildlife a more important part of our landscapes.