Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Default Treaty 8 RFMA,s

Has anyone heard the lastest info on Treaty 8 area, which includes all area north of the Athabasca river and AEP offering first dibs to FN trappers for the RFMA lines. We only have about 1500 RFMA,s now in Alberta with approximately 1000 registered lines north of the Athabasca. My understanding is our president of ATA was meeting with Alberta Parks to get clarification.
Do the math the rest of us trappers will only have about 500 traplines left in lower half of the province to compete for a line.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Banned

A few posts from AO were quoted in this article.

The Treaty 8 Trappers Association has first right of refusal and their members have first dibs, HOWEVER, you don’t have to be Native to become a member of the Association. It sounds three tier to me.....Native members, non-Native members and finally non-members. The Association is in its infancy and they have a lot of work ahead of them just yet.

http://www.windspeaker.com/news/wind...t-in-treaty-8/
Old 06-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned

If I am not mistaken, out Premier and entourage, PAID a visit to Wab. to meet with the #8, a few weeks ago and left $250,000 lighter....FWIW
Old 06-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Banned

I guess I was mistaken...In reading what was written up in the Windspeker blurb/blog...The amount was more than I had mentioned..
Old 06-10-2018, 11:09 AM

They have first right of refusal over aboriginal owned trap lines within the treaty 8 area....it is status quo for non aboriginal owned traplines
Old 06-10-2018, 11:50 AM

Default treaty 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
They have first right of refusal over aboriginal owned trap lines within the treaty 8 area....it is status quo for non aboriginal owned traplines
This is correct.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is that the official ATA explanation?

That explains the first sentence in the following paragraph but why bother notifying the Treaty 8 Trappers Association when non-Native traplines within their territory become vacant? Was there an explanation as to why that would happen?

"The memorandum ensures that the association has first right of refusal should an association member’s trapline become vacant. Additionally, Alberta will notify the association when non-member traplines become vacant within the territory of Treaty 8."

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...C2E17A849DAE87
Old 06-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Is that the official ATA explanation?

That explains the first sentence in the following paragraph but why bother notifying the Treaty 8 Trappers Association when non-Native traplines within their territory become vacant? Was there an explanation as to why that would happen?

"The memorandum ensures that the association has first right of refusal should an association member’s trapline become vacant. Additionally, Alberta will notify the association when non-member traplines become vacant within the territory of Treaty 8."

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...C2E17A849DAE87
I don’t know why the Treaty 8 Trappers association will get notified of non aboriginal owned lines....what are you thinking?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don’t know why the Treaty 8 Trappers association will get notified of non aboriginal owned lines....what are you thinking?
Just to let them know what lines are available I guess? However, if a member of the Treaty 8 Trapper's Association acquired it, wouldn't the Association then have first right of refusal if he decided to relinquish it? Just a thought.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Dave, think you have nailed it, in time most lines north of Athabasca River would be controlled by certain group of Canadians, rest of 4 million Albertans would be left crumbs south of river to fight over.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 AM

My worry is, when Treaty 7 and Treaty 6 ask for the same, the Province can't say no. The three treaty areas cover about 99.9% of Alberta and all but a very few traplines in Alberta.
The issue for me is I don't trust the NDP and believe that they will make as many permanent changes as they can in the next year without any regard for Albertans. I hope I'm wrong.