Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Default WOW what a storm

Cleaning up after we had another whopper last night. It was quite the light show. The sky looked like a strobe light. Complete with background music of thunder mixed with a chorus of car alarms going off... lol You know how they say if you count the seconds between the thunder and the lightning? Well I think I counted 3 flashes of lightning while the thunder was still rumbling.. it was CRAZY.

So now the fun part.. inventory of the damage.. at least 3 broken windows in the motel.. my wireless internet booster/router has holes through the side of it. A few shingles are now someone else's property.. and my hubby just brought me a huge chunk of frozen hail like a ft X 2ft. Holy hell.. lol Anyone else having as much fun as we are cleaning up after mother nature??
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 AM

In Calgary last night around 2 AM I woke up to alot of thunder, lightning, rain and wind but I dont think as intense as you got it.

Where are you?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 AM

Sundre
Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM

It was the same south of Sundre here also. Haven't seen anything like that for a long time. Had some nice juniper bushes on the north side of the house and the hail literally shredded them, look like a couple of tumbleweeds laying there now
Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

we got it bad here, siding on the house is all full of holes, 5th wheel looks like someone took a shotgun to the side of it and smashed all the vents on the roof. Smashed the garden flat. Smashed a bunch of the wifes solar lights. Took out some windows in the house and the 5th wheel. Crops arent looking to hot either. Two of my vehicles got it also.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 AM

just a bit of badly needed rain here.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM

yeah in calgary here too! its so rare that we get something like that. i had to stay up and watch!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Woke me and the family up last night. Broke the neighbours 40ft poplar in half, luckily it fell away from the house. Other than destroying the gardens I think we made out ok.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Calgary:

On my short 8 minute drive to work, I saw 4 (!) big trees that were flattened by the storm, one is lying across a road.

A collegue of mine just got a call from his wife, a tree in their front yard fell on a neighbours house and took out a good chunk of it!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Mostly cosmetic at our place. Garden is trashed, half of the neighbors tree on my yard, and the lattice on our covered deck is somewhere in the neighborhood.

Haven't checked the roof yet but the thunder was shaking the house and looks like we lost power for a bit too. Haven't seen a storm like that in a few years at least.

Hope nobody got hurt.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Default Storm?

LOL I was tossing and turning until that thing hit. Then I slept right through it.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
gitrdun

I hate to say it, but I slept though it woke up this morning to notice that it had rained, but that's about it.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 AM

Had that storm in July of 2007, caused $20,000 damage to my house and travel trailer, we had large hail, 100km/h winds AND 4" of rain in 3hrs. I hope I never experience that again, but we all know the chances of that right?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Hemi View Post
Had that storm in July of 2007, caused $20,000 damage to my house and travel trailer, we had large hail, 100km/h winds AND 4" of rain in 3hrs. I hope I never experience that again, but we all know the chances of that right?
We just had the repeat of that storm last night in our area and sadly I heard two kids lost there lives in it when a tree fell on the tent they were staying in.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
We just had the repeat of that storm last night in our area and sadly I heard two kids lost there lives in it when a tree fell on the tent they were staying in.
OH NO. i was worried about that.. busiest weekend for camping of the summer almost in this area. I couldn't imagine being out in a tent in that! We have canvas roofs on some of our dunebuggies out side and their shredded.. I can only imagine what it woulda done to a tent. That's really sad =(
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I hate to say it, but I slept though it woke up this morning to notice that it had rained, but that's about it.

What? Are we getting old? Or is it just that we have clear consciences? LOL
Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Some hail here, but not much damage. Bunch of stuff blown around the yard. Strangest thing was the continuous lighting, like a light bulb flickering on and off, for about 45 minutes. Looked like the main storm went south and west of us. Of course, the wife had to put her two prize horses in the barn, so there I'm running around, wondering if we're insane. Power was off, but surprisingly, back on this morning. Sounds like Treeguy's gonna be busy, for a while.
Grizz
Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM

Mostly just rain a nd a bit of wind here. We had 2 power outages. That's really sad about the kids..
Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Default storm

wife said theres holes in all the sididng and shingles every where. trampoline was at the neighbors and the garden is a write off.Im in Dawson creek so I missed it all. hade a very nice rain here the last to mornings.sounds like I got alot of tees to clean up when I get home.Hope everyone else faired alright?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Sounds like Treeguy's gonna be busy, for a while.
I actually played hookie today...........stayed up too late watching the show!

Strangely enough, for those of us who've been in the biz for a while, we generally dread the tree-smashing storms. Although there's rarely a dull moment, the work can be incredibly dangerous too. One time while bucking up a large spruce that was brought down by a wet snowfall, I found a freakin' CAR under it that we didn't realize was even there!

We'll likely spend the next week or so taking care of our regular customers and that's about it. Here in the NW, there was a fair amount of damage for sure. All I can say is thank God I took down the next door neighbour's 80' poplar last weekend, because it was in the process of wanting to tip over and last night's action would have finished it off for sure. Lucky.

SG, real sorry to hear about the damage you had. That sucks man.

Tree
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
I actually played hookie today...........stayed up too late watching the show!

Strangely enough, for those of us who've been in the biz for a while, we generally dread the tree-smashing storms. Although there's rarely a dull moment, the work can be incredibly dangerous too. One time while bucking up a large spruce that was brought down by a wet snowfall, I found a freakin' CAR under it that we didn't realize was even there!

We'll likely spend the next week or so taking care of our regular customers and that's about it. Here in the NW, there was a fair amount of damage for sure. All I can say is thank God I took down the next door neighbour's 80' poplar last weekend, because it was in the process of wanting to tip over and last night's action would have finished it off for sure. Lucky.

SG, real sorry to hear about the damage you had. That sucks man.

Tree
Tree ,two pretty big poplars came down up by my house . One by the catholic church and one by macs. Looks like you got that big one down just in time. I slept through the whole thing
Old 08-03-2009, 09:14 PM

I was camping out at 7 mile flats, the wife made the call to roll up the awning on the trailer at just the right moment. We caught the corner of it, we saw the lightning, but didn't hear much thunder, then we got the hail in a big way.

Nothing got wrecked, so we pulled out a bottle of whiskey to celebrate. It livened up the party in a big way.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 PM

went camping this weekend,...got home this afternoon to find holes in the siding,shingles,every piece of tin is dented,the car,trucks,the apple trees garden and flower beds took a beating. but the phone is ringing more
Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 AM

Is anyone in my area still without power? My mother in law lives down Bergen Road. And she hasn't had power since this thing hit Sunday night. Crazy...
Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justagirl View Post
Is anyone in my area still without power? My mother in law lives down Bergen Road. And she hasn't had power since this thing hit Sunday night. Crazy...
My sister is down that way and also still without it. They can't even tell her when it will be up again
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 PM

I was on pigeon lake when that storm came through on saturday. We had about ten minutes from when the horizon turned black to when there was whitecaps and lighting hitting the water. My boat was left turned on its side on the rocks. Our friends ski boat was beached on the sandy side of the provincial campground. My buddy was trying to help another guy get his boat out and the lighting was hitting the water 1/2km behind him. It was quite the adrenaline rush. Nobody ended up getting hurt at the lake as far as i know.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Banned

Left for Rocky Sunday afternoon, got up there about 330 pm. Due to some bad luck with a couple campgrounds being booked we ended up in Cow Lake overflow. Storm started about 11 with intense rain/thunder/lightning......then hail. Big time. We took cover under the awning, then the hail punched thru that, so we took cover in the camper; only to have the sky-lights smash out and cover us in plastic/glass. Turned out nobody was safe, and we actually got lucky (due to the fact we were in overflow and had very few trees) with the damage to our 4 trucks, 2 boats and camper. Heres some pics.........
Tree that ruined a perfectly good poker game

awning

hail

not ours......

got em both.

I know EMS/Fire was out there till mid-morning and one young lady was seriously hurt. It looked like a bomb had went off. Debris everywhere.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 AM

Heres why we called 911 and got evacuated from Nordegg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01547.jpg (68.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01548.jpg (70.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01556.jpg (60.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01558.jpg (71.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01559.jpg (59.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01560.jpg (72.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Wow those pictures are CRAZY!! Scary stuff. I wish id had thought to take video of that lightning. Ive never seen anything like it, and probably never will again. It was pretty cool looking. Im just not at my best.. thinking wise.. and 2am lol
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 AM

Ya it was scary stuff.We were having a fire outside watchin the light show when we heard this loud whistle.Not 30 yds from us is that tree laying on that tank and two others you cant see,spraying propane big time.Plus there was a 10 month old in the house.We got up the neighbours and baby and dogs and out asap!