Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Default Correct me if i'm wrong

So I slipped a disc in my back last weekend which forced me to have my deer processed instead of doing it myself this year. He weighed in at 124lbs on the scale when they unloaded him. All of the Cuts and sausages I chose cost no more than 1.90/lb, most were 1.50/lb. My total cost ended up being $300. This leads me to believe that somehow they are going to get 170 pounds of meat, give or take a few pounds from a deer that weighed 124 pounds bone in. I understand that they use about 30% pork fat in sausage, but I am taking about 60% of the deer cut and wrapped. Am I being hosed here? I was in so much pain when dropping it off I didn't even think about the cost at the time.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 AM

I usually use a butcher to process my deer, and I'd say on average it cost about $250 or so at the places I've used. $300 sounds a little high, but I don't think it's out of the question, depending on what you had made. I'm not sure how your butcher wrapped it, but some will charge extra to vacuum seal it.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 AM

Ask them to detail the costs. make sure your $1.50 to $1.90 quote is correct and then ask them to show you how the bill equals $300.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 AM

There's probably a 'disposal fee' in that cost as well - to get rid of the bones.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 AM

I guess I just expected it to be less. I may have been spoiled by Scotts Meats in the past. . They are doing all the cuts in paper wrap and I assume they vacuum seal the sausage packs. I should have paid more attention.. Oh well, next year it'll be back to doing it myself. I am looking forward to the bratwurst and summer sausage though.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Default Butchering

Also keep in mind they charge for bone disposal, as well as cutting costs, and then they charge the per pound price for sausage and ground. Where I go it is roughly $1.00/ per pound for butchering, .90 cents a lb for ground and around $3.25-$3.95/ lb for sausage and Jerky depending on what you would like, so it doesn't take all that long to get to $300.00 That's why for the last couple of years my passion has been for learning how to cut and process my own. I understand that you have an injury that held you back this year. Too bad you didn't mention it because I probably could of helped you out if you could of come to the Edmonton area. It is entertaining to do and a great way to get to know someone. I had 6 animals get at least partially processes (deboned, trim taken for grinding etc) in my garage this year and enjoyed every part. Next year if you are in need of assistance and want to keep your costs down start a thread asking if there is anyone that can help you out. There are quite a few generous and helpful people here and I am sure you would get someone to help you out. Just remember to ask what supplies they may need (I'm sure you already have them if you have processed yourself) and that your buying the beer!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Did you skin him first? Debone him? A lot of places will charge a fee for skinning or deboning with a pretty steep minimum. I don't blame them...that's where the labor is.

The prices you're quoting are probably for starting with bare deboned meat.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Also keep in mind they charge for bone disposal, as well as cutting costs, and then they charge the per pound price for sausage and ground. Where I go it is roughly $1.00/ per pound for butchering, .90 cents a lb for ground and around $3.25-$3.95/ lb for sausage and Jerky depending on what you would like, so it doesn't take all that long to get to $300.00 That's why for the last couple of years my passion has been for learning how to cut and process my own. I understand that you have an injury that held you back this year. Too bad you didn't mention it because I probably could of helped you out if you could of come to the Edmonton area. It is entertaining to do and a great way to get to know someone. I had 6 animals get at least partially processes (deboned, trim taken for grinding etc) in my garage this year and enjoyed every part. Next year if you are in need of assistance and want to keep your costs down start a thread asking if there is anyone that can help you out. There are quite a few generous and helpful people here and I am sure you would get someone to help you out. Just remember to ask what supplies they may need (I'm sure you already have them if you have processed yourself) and that your buying the beer!

I appreciate the offer Dakota. I should have tried that first I guess. I spent three days hoping I was going to recover and be able to get him cut up on saturday. Unfortunately it was a no go come saturday morning. I do have the equipment required and had already processed two does from earlier in the season. I also enjoy doing it myself. It's also nice to know that when the world goes to **ll in a handbasket i'll still be able to put meat on the table or floor of my cave..
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
AvayaAce

I would take $300 of filet (beef)
Old 12-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBB View Post
I would take $300 of filet (beef)
I buy a quarter of free range beef every year as well to keep my wife happy. Its still not the same as eating an animal that was harvested and processed by myself IMO.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:48 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
I buy a quarter of free range beef every year as well to keep my wife happy. Its still not the same as eating an animal that was harvested and processed by myself IMO.
I would still be hunting if my family like the wild game. I think if any of us hunted because it was inexpensive meat, well.........

An old guy I hunted with a few times in the past would say to me after an unsuccessful hunting day.....well, we have to go home and eat steak
Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM

The guy I use charges .72/lb to cut,grind and wrap my game. I pay extra to have them add pork trimmings to the hamburger. If I get sausage made depending on the sausage it's another1.50-2.00/lb on top of the .72/lb I paid to get the meat to the sausage stage. So if I only get my 124lb deer cut,ground and wrapped without any pork added it would cost me 89.28 plus GST I've used the same guy for over 15 years and have never found anyone that does a better job.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Travis,

You should have gave me a shout. I figure I owe you for everything this season, I would have happily done my best on that deer. and who doesn't want a little practice :P All you would of have to done is talk me through it :P

-Jeff
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post
The guy I use charges .72/lb to cut,grind and wrap my game. I pay extra to have them add pork trimmings to the hamburger. If I get sausage made depending on the sausage it's another1.50-2.00/lb on top of the .72/lb I paid to get the meat to the sausage stage. So if I only get my 124lb deer cut,ground and wrapped without any pork added it would cost me 89.28 plus GST I've used the same guy for over 15 years and have never found anyone that does a better job.
OK who is he?
what is his shop called?
where is he?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Travis,

You should have gave me a shout. I figure I owe you for everything this season, I would have happily done my best on that deer. and who doesn't want a little practice :P All you would of have to done is talk me through it :P

-Jeff
I never thought of that buddy. It would have been good practice for you. Oh well next year you'll have lots of practice, after you knock down big daddy in bow season.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I gotta say...I admire the heck outta ya tbosch for having the kahoonies (?) to start a Thread in this Forum with "Correct me if I'm wrong...."
Usually the goomba's on this forum will quite happily "correct" you whether you are wrong OR right!!

j/k now ladies...let's not start a flame war over a joke now.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave
Old 12-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Absolutely.

Mulie is first priority, just for fun. I want to try my habd at spot and stalk. Would it be bad ethics to go out in winter and just stalk deer? for practice?

lol. Told you i dont have any hobbies

-Jeff
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
Usually the goomba's on this forum will quite happily "correct" you whether you are wrong OR right!!
You are most certainly wrong on that!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
I gotta say...I admire the heck outta ya tbosch for having the kahoonies (?) to start a Thread in this Forum with "Correct me if I'm wrong...."

j/k now ladies...let's not start a flame war over a joke now.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave
I actually thought about that after i posted it dave.. Luckily nobody laid the hammer down on me.

Quote:
Absolutely.

Mulie is first priority, just for fun. I want to try my habd at spot and stalk. Would it be bad ethics to go out in winter and just stalk deer? for practice?

lol. Told you i dont have any hobbies

-Jeff
Ive never personally stalked a deer out of season but we could go do some shed/coyote hunting out in my muley hole and see what we can see
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM

Sounds good. I'll hold you to that. Maybe we can sneek out in december. Christmas break means over two weeks off to do **** all. So, assuming ice is good and solid, We'll fish too. Never hurt to Practice hunt. I'll just lower the poundage, and shoot the deer with blunts or tennis balls on the tip of my arrow :P

-Jeff
Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Never hurt to Practice hunt. I'll just lower the poundage, and shoot the deer with blunts or tennis balls on the tip of my arrow :P

-Jeff
only if i can try it on you a few times to make sure they dont penetrate.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
So I slipped a disc in my back last weekend which forced me to have my deer processed instead of doing it myself this year. He weighed in at 124lbs on the scale when they unloaded him. All of the Cuts and sausages I chose cost no more than 1.90/lb, most were 1.50/lb. My total cost ended up being $300. This leads me to believe that somehow they are going to get 170 pounds of meat, give or take a few pounds from a deer that weighed 124 pounds bone in. I understand that they use about 30% pork fat in sausage, but I am taking about 60% of the deer cut and wrapped. Am I being hosed here? I was in so much pain when dropping it off I didn't even think about the cost at the time.
Your wrong!! There is no such thing as a slipped disc!!They are compressed, bulging or ruptured.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
Your wrong!! There is no such thing as a slipped disc!!They are compressed, bulging or ruptured.
Well look at me all red in the face. I guess you're the "one in every crowd" hey tonto...
Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Ask them to detail the costs. make sure your $1.50 to $1.90 quote is correct and then ask them to show you how the bill equals $300.
Ok, so then what? Too funny
Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Ok, so then what? Too funny
Yeah unfortunately the bill has been paid. I am officially SOL. It all boils down to me being a cheap dutch P***k and expecting everything for nothing. I'm not complaining though, i'm excited to have a freezer full of different sausages to fry on the woodstove in our ice fishing shack.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
Regardless of what it is, disk problems are nothing to screw around with. Tbosch, make sure you get it well taken care of. Follow the physiotherapists instructions. If you don't already exercise, start, lose weight if required. Speaking from experience.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Regardless of what it is, disk problems are nothing to screw around with. Tbosch, make sure you get it well taken care of. Follow the physiotherapists instructions. If you don't already exercise, start, lose weight if required. Speaking from experience.
I agree it is nothing to screw around with. I actually ended up with sciatica (which runs in my family of gangly tall dutch pr****s) and had no use of my left leg for 4 days. I do take care of myself and generally exercise regularly. I went to physio for a week which didnt seem to help at all, then went to my chiro who is also an active release therapist. He has me fixed up pretty well at this point. Another week and i should be 100% again.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 AM

Had a moose done one year at a german sausage makers place. He had me pick it up the day he smoked the meat. Was told to hang it in a cool place for a few days and Bob's your uncle. Well I hung it all in a unheated basement utility room and went hunting for a week. When I came home the whole house smelled like a butcher shop and the sausage was all moldy. He offered to trim the mold and redo the left over meat, I told him to stuff it (no pun intended). $850.00 lesson well learned.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Default Check your reciept

Quote:
I would look into it for sure. BAsed on the prices you list that sounds high to me.

I just had a buck butchered for sausage and Jerky. After the wife found my reciept (She picked it up while I was out hunting again) the billing method by which I was promised was not how I was charged.

I got all sausage and Jerky as was told that since that what I was getting I would not charged the cutting and wrapping fee but I would be charged a deboning fee. Fair enough.

My buck was 112 pounds on the hook and the cutting and wrapping charge was $110.88. Two flavors of sausage 2X25X1.99 and then 7 pounds (wet) of Jerky at $4.99/ lbs. Total charge was $257.57.

Next year I'll be butchering myself.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
OK who is he?
what is his shop called?
where is he?
Rock's Country Meats. He's to far for you to go. Up near Worsley,AB.